It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best mode of transportation for when SHTF?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
An old school bus and a dirtbike.

Me likes

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
horses eat like a horse and suck up water- mules are a better choice, if you're set up for an animal..motors need fuel, they make noise, draw attention , needs a clear road.
we're down to bicycles..a 3 wheeler like gramma has in the garage.? a mtn bike.
nobody's going to be able to carry enough water to get all that far.
and if you have water you might want to stay put. how will you carry all your ammo
and gear and guns, food-water ? you'll be a sittin duck- moving in the open..
easily ambushed. moving because you have to. course i'm in phx.- bad news if i dont manage to exit the country just prior to this vague scenario.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Sumdumguy

That's a really good point. Yes, your feet are going to end up being your best mode of transportation. So take care of them--keep them dry, tend to any cuts or abrasions, and make sure you have a good pair of shoes/boots for walking!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
A well armed fishing vessel, nested in the inside passage of Ak would do nicely. And a helicopter!

www.yachtworld.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
If you happen to have $1.5 million laying around in the loose-change jar, I'd say you could do worse than to pick the fully armored Rolls Royce Phantom:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a7bff4aabb3a.jpg[/atsimg]

[The] fully armored Rolls-Royce Phantom [is] able to withstand everything from a direct assault with an AK-47 to a poison gas attack.Engineered to the highest international protection rating, the armored Phantom is virtually indistinguishable from the standard version to lure attackers into a false sense of security.

The car features high-tech fiber composites and special steel plating to provide protection for the bodywork, with bulletproof glass for all windows and its own oxygen supply in the trunk in case of a gas attack. The ultra-luxe car's aluminum spaceframe chassis and suspension have been strengthened and the 453 hp powertrain remains unchanged, while nothing has been sacrificed in the way of luxury, refinement and comfort.

More at source:
www.luxist.com...

A few general specs for the Rolls Royce Phantom class in general:

It has a 6.75 L, 48-valve, V12 engine that produces 453 hp (338 kW) and 531 ft·lbf (720 N·m) of torque...the Phantom can accelerate to 100 km/h (60 mph) in 5.7 s. It has a six-speed automatic transmission and double wishbone suspension.

Source:
limousinegallery.blogspot.com...

And don't worry about some punk shooting out your tires or anything crass like that. The tires are specially crafted to withstand withering fire, and in the unlikely event they are damgaed, the car can travel hundreds of miles at nearly top speeds on the rims alone.

Happy motoring!

[edit on 8/13/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
lets just say you are already out of the city, you have a supply of gas,
and the roads are clear- hop in the truck and lets go - where?
to the nearest military checkpoint where the rig would be commandeered?
i'd save the fuel for the tractor. or the chainsaw.
or if i had to leave the area for some reason.
once you leave whatever little fort/zone you can protect,
there is more chances to be bushwacked. you wont know whats out there.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I have many post regarding this issue as well as a blog, everything-guns.blogspot.com... a vessel properly equipped will serve you best in a long haul situation. Since you’re not near the cost I would look in your area for a water passage that will get you to the open ocean and have a vessel some where there to go to. Use a small boat to get you outside and have your supplies already on board. Or check out my blog for finding others whom need a boat to go to. Most people can’t afford all they need on there own so I recommend if you can’t build underground on your own then get with others and share resources.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Animals:
-Pack mules
-Horses

Motorized:
-ATV
-Dirt-bike
-UTV/Off-road golf cart
-Dune-buggy (off-road VWs - very reliable, efficient, easy to maintain and repair)
-Sandrail (much simpler to maintain and repair than any car, great for off-road)

Electric:
-Electric golf-cart

Basic:
-Bicycle
-Canoe or raft
-Horse- or Mule-drawn cart/carriage

Air:
-Motorized hang-glider
-Personal helicopter

Of course this all depends on where you'll be, how much fuel/electricity/feed is available, what you can afford, and what you need to carry. I think horses and mules are the best options because, among other things, they don't rely in any way on fossil fuels or electricity and can go places no motorized vehicle can.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

i would take it a step further and say a few good mules.
just a former jarheads perspective.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
4 letters.

Been working great since WW2.

J E E P.

Should get you almost anywhere. I wouldn't bet on any other one form of transportation...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Your own two feet are the ONLY form of effective transportation. So long as you're alive and they're attached. If there's a lot of chaos and destruction obstacles will render most wheeled vehicles useless, unless you're far enough from the epicenter of the destruction, and even then, you have other factors. Depending on the nature of the disaster you may not be able to use your vehicle due to large scale and localized flooding, magma flows, earthquakes, and war scenarios. In many of these situations wheeled vehicles will just become a coffin...Bikes, should you be escaping from someone, probably wont help you for very long. You may need to take cover quickly, and a bicycle doesn't maneuver that way.

You may happen upon chances to use vehicles along your route of escape/journey, but it is not something I would count on. Gas will be hard to come by, not to mention Mad Max scenarios where there are bandits lining all the roads.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The best way for me will be on foot, due to location. I have recently moved to B.C, and the area I moved to I am extremely familiar with the area.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I thought the emp would only last for a few minutes after the incident

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Bicycle.

Hasn't anyone mentioned this?

A bicycle is near silent.

As TSHTF, motors will grind to a halt. No road noise on the freeway, no air conditioning units whirring is suburbia. Not even a leafblower droning like bagpipes in the distance.

IF you fire up a combustion engine in the midst of that sudden silence. Everyone will hear you.

Everyone will hear you.

Every cop, mercenary, UN trooper, or bandit will hear you.

They can HEAR you.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
For me personally it's either a bike or by feet.
There would be insane amounts of traffic on nearly every road since I live in a major city, Plus I don't want to have to worry about fuel.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Old school vw diesels, runs on used motor oil , used and new veg oil, power steering, fluid transmission fluid, olive oil, penut oil, house heating oil, salad dressing ,propane with the right conversion. Basically runs on anything.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
helicopter.

Something with both physical (chaff, flares) and electronic counter measures. Something that is shielded against an EMP. Basically what you are looking at is something like a Huey or a Littlebird. Minimum electric systems and designed to do without. Some fire power wouldn't be bad so look at getting a retired military AH-1 Cobra and giving it back it's bang. What you don't want is something fly by wire.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by Luke.S]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeedBump

Best "mode" of transport is not as important as best "direction" to go...

we have a plan that follows the high volt POWER LINES to a reasonable location away from roads/bridges/people... a pre scouted place with water and food...
a little four door saturn CAN make the journey.. but our PU truck&trailer will hold more.. just something to think about.. depends on your locale ....

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeedBump

Then you will need 3 of these:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4479be4cc4ec.jpg[/atsimg]

PEACE,
RK

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Depending upon the reason why the SHTF, speed would be the key to reach your long term shelter/site/bunker. Roads may be congested, air and rail networks not working,and so I would look to towards either a bike such as a 650cc KTM, as used in the Dakar Rally. Quad Bikes would be another alternative and good when used alongside a off-road trailer, allowing for the carriage of additional stores. These vehicles would give you the advantage of being to transit the country on or off-road, enhancing your ability to get to where you want to travel to unhindered.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join