It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow, Type "I can read wikipedia" on Google and Click on I'm feeling Lucky

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I can't believe it

What are the odds of what?
I mean... WTHH?????????

So here's what you do
Type in "I can read wikipedia" in the google search field
and either click on I'm feeling lucky or click on search and chose the first result

Can anyone shed some light on this
Btw I did a search and found no other thread

What the hell is this all about?

What is the relation with the two for google to have that as it's first ranking?

This CAN'T be just a coincidence, it's just not technically probable

Thoughts?

[edit on 24-6-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
whoa.
*faint yell in the background* "THATS RACIST!"

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Huh....

Interesting to say the least.... I wonder how much other stuff like that is out there? Just waiting to be found.... Weird...

link   
But..... how did you find out about this?

link   
Obliged check with the replacement of the term "Wikipedia" with "Wikileaks".

There is not a repetition of the search results...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by worlds_away
But..... how did you find out about this?

Valid question...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
lmgtfy.com...

yup it's true, don't know exactly what it is trying to imply, but tis weird.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Thats almost as bad as my mum, an avid garage sale enthusiast, coming home last week to proudly show her purchase. I kid not, it was a tin called 'Nigger Powder'! Very old it is, most shocking she actually bought it... Its a face blackening powder for actors.

But google!? Forshame!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
But google!? Forshame!

I don't think it is google...this sounds like a cyber attack of sorts...all one needs is a grudge against google and a knowledge of internet search engine protocols...

Which certainly indicates intent...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
That has got to be some programmers idea of a joke that he/she thought would never get stumbled across. I bet a person could get a nice check for turning this into some news agency.

So.... RUN TO THE PHONE!

Good find!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Not what I was expecting! Honestly was expecting an Easter Egg.
This is just wrong on so many levels. I thought it was supposed to be a random hit, and we all are seeing the same thing, so someone is going to be in really big trouble!

I wonder if Al Sharpton knows about this?................OH, HOLY MOTHER OF G*D, DON'T TELL HIM!!!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Really, what does make you use that as a search term?

Don't know if this has been posted but try "find Chuck Norris" and choose I'm feeling lucky.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Funny as hell - someone has a sense of humor.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

lol. That’s great. Much funnier than the first (which wasn’t funny at all).

I guess some people have too much time in a day.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by worlds_away]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

There is actually a large following of people who collect this type of thing. I don't really know what category it can be called, but I've seen it come up several times on "Antiques Roadshow".

She can probably sell it for $$$

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
This page has been deleted. The deletion and move log for the page are provided below for reference.

* 10:30, 23 June 2010 JzG (talk | contribs) deleted "I Can Read!" ‎ (G11: Unambiguous advertising or promotion: This appears to be a publisher's blurb)

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
That is wrong on soooooo many levels............ I swear, I'll never understand you Americans.

Edit to add - The Chuck Norris thing is funny, lol.

[edit on 6/24/2010 by hhcore]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

I'll let her know! She picked it up for her sister (she says) who runs an antique shop, but then realised she would never accept it.
The tin is still full, you can feel it, but we're all too scared to open the tin as it looks well over 100 years old, who knows what the heck they put in Nigger Powder to make it?
Interesting that people collect that stuff!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Probably run the same way results are shown, by the amount of hits.
In which case, it's quite easy for someone to set up a quick bot to get certain terms and things on the top of list.
I seriously doubt google just decided to insult wikipedia racially.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Could have something to do with the release of this:

I Can Read Wikipedia

Now you can read one of the biggest informative sources Wikipedia from you phone. Wikipedia is one of the world’s largest encyclopedias and you can get information about everything from it. Now you can have it in your pocket. Just install an app called as Upvise Wikipedia v3.1 on your mobile phone and access Wikipedia anywhere and anytime you want.

And it looks like it's a prank:

I Can Read Wikipedia - Yet Another Prank by Racist Trend-Trolls

Normally the pranks are so obvious, but I was scratching my head at first on this one. "i can read wikipedia" is trending this morning, with seemingly no connection to anything significant in reality. That should have been my first clue that something here was a little off.

Then when scanning the Google Trends page for "i can read wikipedia," my eye gleaned the top web search result, and the obvious reason for its existence as an artificial trend. The first listing when you Google that phrase, for some reason, is the Wikipedia article on the N-word. (I'd spell it out if that wouldn't require a profanity flag on the post).

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join