It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MA elementary school distributing condoms to students

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

MA elementary school distributing condoms to students

www.wfie.com

CAPE COD, MA (NBC) - From Cape Cod, Massachusetts, condoms are now being offered to elementary students. Any student who wants one, no matter the age. Parents are not being given a say, and are not on board with the policy.

Condoms and kids. They're going together younger than ever at a Provincetown Elementary School, which goes from 6th grade right down to Pre-K.

Under a new policy, condoms are available for any student who asks, at any age.

(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I'm all for giving students access to condoms, but elementary school aged children is taking it a little far. Could children this young even fit into these things? I don't care how liberal you are or how much you believe that abstinence doesn't work, children in grades k-6 are far too young to be having sex and we need to make sure that they aren't, period. If your child is having sex that young, you have completely failed as a parent. It wouldn't even matter if that child was practicing safe sex at that point, at least in my opinion. This is getting a little out of hand.

--airspoon

www.wfie.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
As jaded as I've become over my nearly 44 years on this planet, there aren't many jaw-dropped "wow.... just wow" moments....

Wow...

Just wow..

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Well they couldn't even use them so maybe it's more of an educational thing. Like you could take it home and ask your parents about it, and learn about safe sex. Other than that, I can't think of any other reason.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
our world is run by psychopaths, so, yeah, it was probably a pedophile/psychopath that did that, thats the only answer possibly

or that woman with that anti rape condom, I mean

there are so many stupid things happening around us that we should just stop for a moment and think if this is really real, because if it is, then its all %¨%!!@#

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
The parents have no right to complain.

While I believe that elementary school is far to early to be giving condoms out to children, the parents had an opportunity to vote no, but none of them showed up for a meeting, according to the school superintendent.

Perhaps it was a plot to get more parents involved in PTA meetings? I'm sure if enough of them want to complain, they will start showing up!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
"Superintendent Dr. Beth Singer, "The fact that parents don't know what their children are doing at times, doesn't mean that their children don't need to be safe. And that we don't have a responsibility to help them be safe."

According to the Boston Globe, the school committee voted unanimously to approve the policy at a public meeting, and the superintendent says no one came to comment."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is Nuts. This is not the schools place, it is the parents. If the parent is a bad parent, they need counseling to learn how to talk to their kids.

I say, the fact that ' parents don't know what their children are doing at times, doesn't mean that' the schools can act as the parent. it is then the schools job to inform the parents.

This is going to encourage children younger and younger to have sex when they don't have a clue what being a responsible parent is all about. Condoms are not 100 % effective.

What is going to happen when the girl gets pregnant and the boy say, Mom, I got my girlfriend pregnant, and the Mom says What!? Where did you get the condom and the idea to think it was O.k. at 13 years of age to have sex?

The school gave it to me!

This is a case of adults who have no business in control of children's lives.

Blanca Rose - we don't know that is true. the article says no one complained.. it did not say this was open to the public/parents and was before publicized as an event the parents could vote on with the agenda written down.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by EmperorZeno
Well they couldn't even use them so maybe it's more of an educational thing. Like you could take it home and ask your parents about it, and learn about safe sex. Other than that, I can't think of any other reason.

So the local pedo's can save a couple bucks and potentially not pass gonorrhea on to a 10 year old?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

What is going to happen when the girl gets pregnant and the boy say, Mom, I go my girlfriend pregnant, and the Mom says What!? Where did you get the condom and the idea to think it was at 13 years of age it was o.k. to have sex?

It happens even before 13, and it's not ok. When I was living near Duluth, there were many children left at home for long hours at a time, because parents had to travel a long distance for work, and if the weather was bad, sometimes they couldn't even make it home.

My daughter who was in High School at the time had a friend with an 11 year old sister that got pregnant. She had the baby, while she was still 11, so that means she was barely that age when she got pregnant. The father was the same age!

While I'm on the subject, I knew kids who were having sex at 12 and 13 years of age while I was growing up, in a pretty well to do area of the Chicago burbs.

It's not just about educating children at that age, or giving them condoms! It's about supervising them, and making sure they are kept busy enough to have other things on their minds!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Think about it for a moment! It is a conspiracy. What if the catholic church schools have this kind of setup? It is a conspiracy...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This is so disturbing to me. Why does the school have ANY say in matters such as these? And what the hell do 10 year olds need condoms for??

This is what our culture is doing to the youth. We make sexuality dirty and wrong, and then we entice these little kids with it via channels like MTV.
It's okay in this country to sell sex to children. Something is very very wrong here.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Just when I think I've heard it all, something new pops up. You know, it is more and more disturbing how adults are losing common sense. I mean come on, condoms in that age group?? Many parents probably didn't show up for the meeting because they had to work to make ends meet. The school has no right to do this.

Kids have enough pressures without having to wonder hey am I normal for not having sex? I believe this will only encourage kids to have sex. These are children!!!!! What the hell kind of idiot could think up such a thing and then get away with it?
Schools should have limited rights on what they can do in the lives of our children. If I had a child and discovered this nonsense, you better believe they would hear my voice on the subject. I would gather the other parents and protest. This is unacceptable.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Many parents probably didn't show up for the meeting because they had to work to make ends meet.

Those are the times you ask the boss to leave an hour or 2 early, and ask to make up the time. Not everyone can do this, granted, but, part of being a parent is being involved, even at the school level. If you can't take the time to wonder what is happening at a school system, then don't have kids!

And by the way, we started sex education classes while I was in Jr. High. Parents had to come to school and be in the auditorium, while the students were in a classroom. The boys and girls each had separate instructors. The parents were learning at the same time, how to handle more questions at home.

Perhaps the school didn't have a budget to allow for such an extravagant sex education program, but did what they did, to make sure parents are following through at home. The article did say that any student requesting a condom had to meet with a nurse, or a counselor. Do you really think that many kids will request one, knowing they have to meet with somebody before they get one, and have to explain themselves? I don't.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

This is Nuts. This is not the schools place, it is the parents. If the parent is a bad parent, they need counseling to learn how to talk to their kids

I don't know.

I look around me and see lots of parents working to keep up that "quality of life" too busy to MOLD their children into responsible, ethical, sensical adults. The kids, have iphones, fancy sneakers, and all the latest gadgets though!

If the parents aren't teaching their children that condoms may prevent pregnancy and disease, then who will?

We can whinge all we want, but kids ARE having sex. And kids are getting mixed messages from the media ( which busy parents make sure their kids have access too 24/7).

I realize this doesn't apply to everyone, I suspect ATS parents are are more likely to do their job, but the truth is a lot of parent do NOT parent.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
well the kids are having sex and they will have sex and there is little to nothing the average parent can/will do about it-so hats off!

and i think the point of making condoms available is so the kids dont come home and say "mommy i got my girlfriend pregnant."

if you have a big problem or whatever, then you shouldn't be enrolling your kids in the public school system in the first place.

but the idea you can control a teenager? it's ridiculous. try all you want, but they are smarter than you and will find a way to do what they want, whether you approve or not.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Those are the times you ask the boss to leave an hour or 2 early, and ask to make up the time. Not everyone can do this, granted, but, part of being a parent is being involved, even at the school level. If you can't take the time to wonder what is happening at a school system, then don't have kids!

I think her point was that too many families are busy just trying to keep their heads above water. It shouldn't be the parents fault for not attending some PTA meeting when this shouldn't even be up for debate in the first place. My children should be focusing on academics in school - from the school staff - that's it. Everything else is simply considered indoctrination. We need to keep our school teachers teaching about their respective subjects and allow the parents to raise their parents to raise our children, how we see fit.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This is disgusting. No elementary students needs a condom. Most of them probably don't even know what a condom is.

Whats next?? Will they give the kids clean syringes? We all know how first graders love to shoot up.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I completely disagree. If you can't take the time, to be involved with what is going on at a school, that your tax dollars go to fund, then you shouldn't have children, and you have no right to complain.

The sex education classes we had in Jr. High, were over 30 years ago! Parents were required to be there, at the same time as the students, or, the children could not attend.

Look at it this way, if parents are too damn busy to attend something so important, then, they sure are not going to take the time to have a proper discussion with the kids at home, either, and they probably are not supervising the kids.

Like I said, do I agree that handing out condoms is the correct way to go, at an elementary school level? No, but the parents, of whom none showed up, could have stopped this by attending a meeting.

I'd also like to point out, that when we had sex education classes waaaaaaaaaay back when, it was part of the physical education program. The classes were taught by the phys ed teachers.

The lesson here is, you can't just pack your child up, and send them off to school without some involvement besides helping them with their homework!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
... but the parents, of whom none showed up, could have stopped this by attending a meeting.

Most meetings of this type aren't known by the public. School boards do not tell parents about every meeting they have. The school board here loves to have meetings like this, but you never hear about it until afterwords...when it's to late to do anything about it. Don't say the parents could have stopped it, when you don't have all the facts.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
My daughter is 16 years old and I have to closely supervise and moniter her now more than I ever have. I blame the school and society. She is over exposed to sex talk at school and the music most kids seem to want to listen to. Most kids have unlimited access to the internet and music. My daughter gets monitered. I have a program on it that does screen shots and keystrokes. She knew what was considered inappropriate but waited until I was not looking. Little did she know I saw it all. What did I see? I saw a boy ask her how her ****** was doing. Right now I am the bad guy but that is ok. I am doing my job. I am also taking her out of school and homeschooling her. Schools are supposed to be teaching academics. My daughter is not in a healthy environment. She is not mature enough to handle herself in a sexually charged environment like that. I think the school is responsible for that. My daughter is in a good environment at home. Everything is monitered and people do not speak inappropriately here.

School should be a place of learning academics. I am not surprised that the Boston area is doing something like this. I have no love of their policies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join