It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Wikileaks is Becoming.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Before Collateral Murder, I was all about promoting how glourious Wikileaks was. The freedom of information and potential for good to over power bad seemed endless. However, as it has become more popular, and more info is becoming available about it (news articles and such), I keep seeing more and more reason to believe that it is nothing more than a government front. A way to have things leaked right into TPTB's hands, so that they can leak damning info out, but of course, nothing that will hurt them substantially.

Think about it. Their 'leader' walks around freely talking to the leaders of Europe. Today, all they have to offer is information about spying on civilians? Every informed person should know that the US and other governments already do this (NSA). They have their biggest audience ever waiting, and they give the world something that it already knew. Mind you, there next leak could be something 20X times better than that but by the sound of it, this is the lines it will fall under.

As bad as Collateral Murder was, and as bad as the Afghanistan video will be, it is all again, 'old news.' I mean come on... the informed knew about the human rights violations and accountability issues in the Middle East already and didn't need a video to prove it. Sure, the sheeple may have opened their eyes a little but, it doesn't hurt them, so no harm, no foul.

As Wikileaks becomes more popular and main stream, I fear that its leaks will only become more and more dumbed down and amount to, in reality, nothing. Then by the time it becomes full-blown in popular culture, the sheeple will look at worthless leaks and say, "Really? That's the worse government does? They aren't that bad after all."

Soon, Wikileaks, which once had the potential to be a real tool against TPTB, will actually become the main tool used by TPTB to keep the world uninformed and oblivious to the real world.

As much as I hope I'm wrong, I can't help but take the entire notion of Wikileaks with a grain of salt. I realize that freedom of information is something that the world should have access to, and that is what Wikileaks is supposedly giving, but the true intentions may not be to empower the people, rather it may be to keep them exactly where they are... out of the loop.

Heads up. We shall see where this saga ends up.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

But I can understand and share your concerns over its possible future.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
wikileaks is pretty cool, I uploaded some info couple weeks ago, course it takes a bit to go through everything they get of course. Doubt mine makes it. Mine is on a corporation I worked for, pretty wild stuff imo.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
"... could become as important a journalistic tool as the Freedom of Information Act."

— Time Magazine

The above quote is on their website. Funny how they use a representative of the controlled disreputable mainstream media to toot their own horn. Kind of says it all. Or...maybe Time was being snippy, since everyone knows the Freedom of Information Act is a joke.

Either way, I can't help but think all this garbage is just to give Wikileaks some publicity. If you're really in the business of leaking sensitive classified information, one would think you would tend to stay away from the Public Relations circuit.

I agree with the OP; this appears to be a stunt to lead people astray down a dead end street by throwing them some useless bones. When you're dealing with a gullible audience, you can easily manipulate them by dangling a few carrots in front of their faces.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Wikileaks is more than a website. It is an idea.

THAT is what makes Wikileaks so exciting. Even if the Wikileaks brand is destroyed, the idea lives on. Someone else (you?) will keep it going.

Someone respectable once said, "Not even standing armies can defend an idea who's time has come."

I say it is similarly true, "Not even standing armies can fully destroy an idea who's truth is self evident."

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world. I've witnessed first hand the power of ideas, I've seen people kill in the name of them, and die defending them...

If Wikileaks truly is a government front (which I wholeheartedly do not believe), then the PTB have started something which cannot be stopped and it is a massive fail on their behalf.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TattarrattaT

Wikileaks is more than a website. It is an idea.

An idea whos time has come though preferably from a real source.
A professional would never post a 'sensitive' message from their own computer to any website. A true patriot of folkland would research the site and out it for what it is.
I haven't seen many takers.
Just watching.
.....with a clear conscience.
To Do Know Harm.....is to do No harm.
Should one imagine that the Creator works in mysterious ways as Creation itself continues to come Into being?

The past 3 months have been full of trials, tribulations and unimaginable horrors. Though I walk through the valley of evil, I fear it not.
To fear the flesh is to fear the Self.
Did not the Creator endow mankind, unlike the rest of the animal kingdom with the ability to use intellect, reason, to be rational, the ability to harness sapience and sentience, discover 'certain' laws of the Universe?
Nonetheless, most human beings follow the path of others who in turn show no respect to .....the followers.

The truth can not be written but rather seen with good intention for such .....inform/ations.
All true genius Sees, then only attempts to put to paper or ear.
If your glowing, your Right.
If your not, your wrong.
This is the only evidence you need.
Many intuitively know this to be true though choose to follow the path of others whom share not the legend of that mouse on it's string.
Form to word.
Symbolitry is far more honest a communicator than the words of man though unfortunately may only provide the viewer the same vision as it's source.

Wikileaks is clearly a fraudulant deception.
Kudos to the idea.
The show carries on.
Who's paying attention?

More importantly, who is Acting on what they know to be Right from what they don't know? to be wrong.

Who is your Brother?
Your Neighbor.
May you glow in the radience of The new beginning?

You may choose to begin at this moment.
Or not.
Either way, the consequences are as shadows to the Light.
Does not the LIght dispell all shadows.
I didn't forget the question mark above, did you?

"Sub Umbra Florero"
The phrase above is a good example for a play on words.
Without Light, there is no growth at all.
Is not Light itself the source for all other Forms of energy in the Universe.

Regardless of what is written by a folk in folkland, if it makes no sense, it wasn't meant to.

Glow if you can.
I am still learning to cope with all the injustice I witness day to day in every face I see. Most are blind unto themselves as they are to the Truth.

To acknowledge a gift is as the bow unto it's box.
Open sesame?
Saisawho?

You.
We are waiting.....

If One wishes not to get lost in a web,
Why spin that which cloaks the Soul from itself?

How often the eyes of man deceive the Self.
True Vision is seen within though drawn from A bout with the..... material vision .....only then projected to the eye of man.
Though you know this is true, one continues to follow another.

I suppose it is difficult to escape the subjective self and view matters objectively in a top down manner for a Reason?
I thought I would close with something to dream about.
It might work.
SaisaWho?

EM
I don't know an animal that can read backwards and see the meaning of it all.

Do you?

If something is true you most likely will feel it.
If it is Right, you glow.
That is your confirmation.

Do the Right thing.
No excuses.
I would imagine a Creator would have no use for such foolish folly.

The Creator Does work in mysterious ways.
Please keep this in mind from here foward.
I'm well aware I'm on candid camera.
I only hope the viewers are paying attention.

To Do No Harm.
Saved the Farm.

May the blood of wicked fertilize the flora and fauna at my gate.
Gateway or Gate?
Your choice.

I'm quite aware of what I'm going through.
Are you?
Are You paying attention?

More importantly, are you acting or Being.
Many spiders could be as a check to the Conscience of Man.
May One's' next step be in tandem with some Light.....and not slight of Justice.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Was the bait worth your wait?
May the only big fish you catch be yourself.
Only then may one improve their vision.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

The idea of Wikileaks is amazing. What it's become over the years is what's scary.

I'd have to disagree with you on your point of TPTB failing (if in fact Wikielaks is their creation). This is simply because, as you yourself have acknowledged, the idea is a great one. But as of right now, look who has monopolized the idea.

TPTB, through Wikileaks, are now the 'go-to' source of leaked information about, guess who- TPTB. Essentially, Media was once a great idea, but over time it became a tool and now TPTB have monopolized the MSM and the 'go-to' source about news, potentially news that can be damning to the PTB, is again, TPTB.

The idea may live on, but Wikileaks is obviously going to be head and shoulders above the rest when people think about whistleblowing. And eventually, Wikileaks is going to water down whistleblowing so much to the mainstream culture, that the notion won't become a big deal.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Hmm. Under your theory, I can see a motive for having released videos of US helicopters firing on unsuspecting civilians. Fear. It's so that when the SHTF, we all know what they can do to us if we don't roll over and comply.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
right on

i just posted a response in another thread concerning a wikileaks new release up coming

i have to say it

this 'wiki leaks' that everyone is so fanatical about is using the same exact tactics that alex jones uses

granted they don't use the fear based mongering alex maxes out on, think about it, why don't they just release information, why all the suspect, why just give an anology, these and everything else i constantly hear a bout wikileaks are all tactics to tempt people into their media

does anyone else feel that way? or is it just me?

i'm sure their videos are authentic, but really it doesn't matter because it's not like they've been releasing inside evidence that JFK was asasinated by the cia, or undeniable proof that the US brough down the twin towers, no their 'leaks' are usually just under that level, enough to be top secret, but not quite enough to change the nations conciousness like i hear so many people claim, especially BEFORE the video is released

anyways, i hate to bash a perfectly legit organization, it's just their tactics resemble any show man, trying to attract the crowd in any way, same tactics as alex jones

wikileaks has got to be just another distraction, i'm not going to say their videos are false, i'm just saing the whole mess is a distraction

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
As Wikileaks grows in popularity, more and more of its leaks will become worthless, or serve TPTB in some way. I hadn't thought of the fear component these leaks bring but that is a valid point and another reason TPTB could use this tool effectively.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
i think if anyone else like say, for example, someone on ats came out and said
"i have a video that is going to change EVERYTHING!! i will show it to you in ONE WEEK"

that someone would probably get some criticism for waiting one week... i mean, obviously that one week is just an amount of time to gather more and more viewers during that week that end up reading it, just a tactic to gather more followers

then one week later after a week of claiming to have undeniable evidence of the footage containing mass nation wide opinion changing and eye opening events, the video is posted...

now back to my theoretical story, what IF just someone on ATS did this, well, when they posted the video and it turned out to be just a drone video of US pilots mistaking a civilian for a terrorist and killing them... after a long debate of wether or not the video was controversial, most would conclude that the person who posted the video did not come out with what they had been claiming for a week they had

after that only a few people would still beleive the person if they still tried to use the same tactic, which is what wiki leaks is, in my opinion, still doing

and people still think each time they're going to witness something important, but it's not

is this just some dude with a computer who has too much free time and wants attention? is it "the powers that be" as someone else said, trying to distact us from "the real ball"?

i don't know, who cares, i have no idea how they could benefit in any way from all this, but it's not relevant to anything as far as i know

[edit on 6/23/2010 by indigothefish]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
You know, I've been feeling the same way for a while. How much more perfect could you possibly make a cover than wikileaks?

I also agree that wikileaks is an idea more than it is a site, which is why I firmly believe other sites should offer the same "service" as wikileaks does. Mind you, we don't need another Assagne, we just need more trusted sources to leak to. The worst thing you can do to "free" information is centralize it, imo.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
When I learned that Wikileaks was in talks with Iceland to be come a "safe haven" for information exposure, the first question to enter my mind was "just who is running this to have the clout to talk to the Icelandic Government?".

It could potentially create Iceland a huge problem - if they're releasing lots of info that could potentially harm other states, then that would surely make Iceland a target, at any time?

Something just doesn't seem right.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

I hate to be fear mongering, especially about something that has the potential to be so good, but any of wikileaks and their 'leader's' actions need to be questioned now.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
When Wikileaks promoted the video and created all that hype, and then released it, and the video was edited down with narration, etc., they ceased to impress me.

The crossed the line of being an information clearing house to a production studio. They were no longer "releasing" the information, they began to manipulated it.

To me that goes against the spirit of whistleblowing. They should just release in the information to the public, and let the world decide what to do with it.

When Wikileaks manipulates the data, they corrupt the message and discredit it.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

They did release the unedited version as well, but of course the manipulated version became the most popular.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
i agree with the idea that wikileaks is just the name and site today. ultimately, wikileaks is just the current manifestation of an idea that is intrinsic to human nature. for every person who can willfully commit atrocities, there are 98 who wouldn't. and hopefully, 1 who will stop it. it doesn't matter if the spooks are behind wikileaks. the idea will move on.

i believe wikileaks is still in its conception, especially in terms of public awareness. imagine if wikileaks had the exposure of google, wikipedia, etc. i don't know how they could even handle the information exchange, but we all know there's info out there to be whistleblown. and according to wikileaks policies, there's a pretty high standard that provides seemingly indisputable back-up for the information they release.

i still believe in wikileaks. i just posted a thread (A New Twist To The Wikileaks-Manning-Lamo Leak Situation) in regard to wikileaks, manning, lamo, etc. and i think it's interesting because it portrays the real-world activities and lives involved in the stories that ultimately generate information on wikileaks. it proves to me that something as big as the leaked helicopter video had a real story with real people (not just the perps and victims in the video) behind it.

some will no doubt argue that the manning-lamo affair is also a covert op to actually make wikileaks only seem real. whatever. at some point, you just let go and barring evidence to the contrary, accept things. otherwise, you're frozen in uncertainty and paranoia.

the days are fast approaching when the average person will understand you can't send an e-mail or text without being able to be tracked and when they understand that and find out how they can solve that problem and protect themselves, wikileaks' raison-d'etre will manifest much stronger than before, in my view.

[edit on Jun 24, 2010 by Hadrian]

[edit on Jun 24, 2010 by Hadrian]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Wikileaks is a great idea... From what I gather and has been explained by Assanage is that it is a media company that operates like a peer reviewed journal. You think in this dumb, overindulged American culture they are going to sit through an hour long video of apache helicopter 'chatter' before anything blows up, gets shot, or the one pilot has a dance off with the other for a chance to win ten thousand dollars in prizes? Of course not... Hence the 4 minute video 'collateral murder'. However, they also released the full video unedited that they received to come to this conclusion. Or "Heres how we have come to this conclusion", this is our information. Most credible news organizations used to do that kind of reporting.

As far as your second point where it could be used as disinformation for the powers that be, I suppose that would be true if they were just feeding them info... but so long as the ability exists for whistleblowers to step forward with information that they have then they are still an open place where the criminal behavior of those that would try and hide their misdeeds through classification can be revealed.

As a final comment I dont think collateral murder opened up any of these 'sheeples' eyes outside of maybe showing them an actual video of what 'anti-americans have been saying for some time' (since you cant be a patriot and speak out against what the government is doing). And you know what they went right back to their happy meals and their American Idol.

Sadly we dont really have any other choice than wikileaks... there isnt anything else out there that can come close in anonymity and protection for submissions (Julian was a hacker himself). You really going to trust some other information source (like the 5 people that run the media conglomerates in this country) to handle such a task? What was the last thing they broke? Outside some sex scandal that doesnt mean anything. Watergate?

top topics

join