It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TX GOP platform: Re-criminalize sodomy, make gay marriage a felony

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stewie
Everybody I meet that comes to Texas says Texans are the friendliest people they have ever met.

I'm lucky to have traveled to many countries, in Central Asia, North Africa and elsewhere. I did meet some of the friendliest people while I was there. Guess what, that doesn't mean that it didn't feel foreign or that I'm 100% in the boat with their system of values or their way of life. My fault?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I tell you the BS coming from the party elites in this nation only tells that they are not the ones in power when they want to regulate peoples life and don't even talk about the problems in the nation, you know like the economy, the lack of jobs and the trillion dollars war.

Morons, nothing but morons.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
A question please. Are these issues even in the purview of the State? Or is it a Federal issue?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
Whose platform is this, exactly?

Good question.
It's the Texas GOP.

Here is a page of the official GOP Party in Texas. At the bottom of the page is a link called "2010 Republican Party of Texas Platform". Click on it.

reply to post by intrepid

All they're saying is "this is what we stand for". So, yes, it's perfectly within their right to state their opinions on what should and shouldn't be law.

[edit on 6/22/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

This is at state level, I read the article and only talks about the Texas GOP, but then again this should send shivers down anybody spine thinking what kind of leaders are coming out of Texas GOP camp.

Like born again Christians that are warmongers.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

That is the point I have been trying to make, most Texans are probably NOT in the boat on this platform either.
The choices we have are horrible, unfortunately.
I think much of this is a reaction by the religious right to Preachers getting into legal trouble for PREACHING that homosexual behavior is sinful.
That is what I get from this.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
All they're saying is "this is what we stand for". So, yes, it's perfectly within their right to state their opinions on what should and shouldn't be law.

[edit on 6/22/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

Yes they can say it but can they enact this type of legislation? Would the SC throw it out?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

It would all depend on HOW they tried to legislate it. As far as sodomy, they're saying this:

Texas Sodomy Statutes – We oppose the legalization of sodomy. We demand that Congress exercise its authority granted by the U.S. Constitution to withhold jurisdiction from the federal courts from cases involving sodomy.

They can throw a tantrum and "demand of Congress" until the cows come home, but they can't MAKE them legislate it on a federal level.

Now, can they make sodomy illegal in Texas? Very possibly.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Now, can they make sodomy illegal in Texas? Very possibly.

Thank you BH, I thought it might have been just election "wind". Talking points without substance.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Wait a second.

In June 2003, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Lawrence v. Texas that state laws criminalizing private, non-commercial sexual activity between consenting adults at home on the grounds of morality are unconstitutional since there is insufficient justification for intruding into people's liberty and privacy.

Looks like it would be unconstitutional.

Source

So it's all just posturing, appealing to the right-wing conservative religious right.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Ah, my nose KNOWS.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

I liked your post, and if there were an icon with a tear in its eye, I would use it now.

Growing up in CA in the 50's60's, my friendliest neighbors were the Texas transplants. In my travels around the country, I have met friendly people everywhere, but I could always tell a Texan friendliness, no matter where it was. Of course, traveling through Texas at times, one could find friendliness unless one smoked dope, wanted a drink in a dry county, or wanted to sodomize or be sodomized (I guess on that one
).

Even though I was not the family member to vote for Reagan, I could understand why people did. I posit, however, that had Reagan kept Carter's environmental wisdom, we would not have seen Gulf Wars, or tar balls washing up today on GOM beaches.

During the 80's, American corporations went international, and international corporations began to surface in America. There was the death of the "American corporation", with its patriotic undertones. Interestingly, from where I lived during those years, the INS dealt less and less with illegal workers, and an underground drug economy lessened the effects of an 80's deliberate attempt to deflate the roiling 70's economy.

With the definition of patriotism no longer including businesses nor the workers who worked for them, patriotism would be defined with religious and cultural overtones, excluding those not in the Silent Majority, the Moral Majority.

Thus, as businesses flourished in Texas, Texas helped define patriotism. With the new economy and an oil based energy policy that drove it, Texas became a dominate player in the new financial and energy economy, complete with politicians dominating in Washington. And it had a religious bent that said no matter how badly you screwed your fellow man, you could always ask for forgiveness.

Texas embodied the extremes of American culture and economy. I just hope that any new War Between the States doesn't have as a cause state's rights to ban sodomy. Now that would just be too gauche.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
LOL

awesome

keep them from coming here to turn Texas into California part deux!

In some cities it has slowly started.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Once again I ask: whose platform is this, really? I do not see any official endorsement of it anywhere.

Have you tried Google? It's really a great tool for finding information. Here I did it for you.

static.texastribune.org...

It's in there!

Way ahead of you. That ref was in the OP. It still does not show one official signature or imprimatur of the GOP.

And you being the author of this thread should know that you don't just make a claim and then send people off googling up proof that your claim is true. That's your responsibility as an author to supply the proof.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks, BH. You have some mad research skills!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

reply to post by whaaa

Once again I ask: whose platform is this, really? I do not see any official endorsement of it anywhere.

Have you tried Google? It's really a great tool for finding information. Here I did it for you.

static.texastribune.org...

It's in there!

Way ahead of you. That ref was in the OP. It still does not show one official signature or imprimatur of the GOP.

So what are you saying? This reference static.texastribune.org... is somehow phony and not a declaration by the GOP?

To me this smacks of a thread derailment. Have you seen this?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I really like the word "imprimatur" thanks!

Here's one for you..."strawman"

Try not to let your ideology or your agenda get in the way of your common sense!

[edit on 22-6-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Welcome to the West Worlds division of the Taliban? Come on people please get over your phobias and invisible supreme beings. You do know that stuff was written thousands of years ago by people barely out of their caves and edited ad naseum by most every ancient ruler known to man kind?

Your dilusions are no different than those in Afganistan. Really...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by marg6043

The Texas GOP may have bitten off a little more than they can chew if....

Sodomy includes oral sex as well as anal. That will in fact will criminalize many hetero's as well.

All of them if their lucky. Hetero's that is

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Now this is FREEDOM!

Way to go!

Government stay out

of my *SNIP*
!

where be the freedoms fighters on this one

sorry

had to

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Janky Red]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 22/6/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

...... There may not be any Freedom Fighters on this one. Rather, I would say it's a conspiracy to keep the Forbidden Fruit forbidden, as the enticement of and surrender to it would surely heighten the pleasure in the engagement for some.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join