It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poverty in America...Living Wage Calculator

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Guess how states are paying for service programs as the income tax keeps eroding in individual states including the empty unemployment funds.

Federal government bailout and loans, that is why States are running now under budget and in debt.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

Right...comparing apples to apples, right?

If could live rent or mortgage free in a place where I could grow my own food and not need a car to get places and have government education and healthcare, as is the case in some countries, I could get by on a lot lower "wage." That's not the case here for most people. Some, maybe, but not most. And not everyone has the capability to pick up and move.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Here is another wage calculator, but it compares your wage with the rest of the world.

A bit eye opening really...

www.globalrichlist.com...

Not really. You can't compare wages that way. Things don't always cost the same from country to country. 10,000(US) will buy more in some countries than they would in the US. Maybe you should research the percentages of wages spent in each country, which would be a more accurate gage of poverty levels.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Well the tax base is eroding with fewer people working and for less money with the rich people's money protected offshore and being taxed less and with the corporations getting tax incentives (for what I don't know) and those offshoring work weaseling out of their share I'm sure.

Some jobs are coming back...Apple is one example of a company trying to do this...but for half the wages they used to pay. Almost seems like a devious plan.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
I'm not concerned with the rest of the world, and that is not the topic here. If you're not American AND don't want to participate in this thread...don't.

WHOA! What's with the attitude?

Don't tell me where I can and can't post.

Call me whatever you want, but I disagree with the globalists and do not happen to believe that to raise the wage in the "rest of the world" wages in the more well-off places such as the U.S. and the U,K. need to come down.

Where did I suggest this? You've taken a lot from my small post, it's almost as if you had this little rant ready to go.

That is simply not logical or necessary, and the only reason for it is to get all the slaves to a barely surviving place so they are easier to control.

We in this country worked hard and smart for many years to get to where we were and we don't have to like what's going on.

Please keep your globalist agenda out of my topic.

I'm sorry but there is no globalist agenda here and you seem to forget that the USA is the worlds largest importer of goods, those slaves as you so eloquently put it are the reason why you are able to wear your Nike shoes and use your computer, as well as dozens of other things that you probably take for granted.

If you guys have worked so hard and smart, how the hell did the subprime mortgage crisis come about?

You know, the beginning of the Global Financial Crisis...

[edit on 22/6/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Yes it is, many companies are waiting for the US to impose certain rules in their benefit to come back to the US but with diminished salaries and wages to match the service job nation that we have become.

But still the standards of living stay the same.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I didn't TELL you...I asked you. What you posted was off topic.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I'm sorry but there is no globalist agenda here and you seem to forget that the USA is the worlds largest importer of goods, those slaves as you so eloquently put it are the reason why you are able to wear your Nike shoes and use your computer, as well as dozens of other things that you probably take for granted.

We were but sadly my friend China is taking that spot thanks to the generosity of America consumer ridden society

China to Supplant U.S. as World's Top Manufacturer, thanks to America generosity

Last year, America accounted for 19.9 percent of the world’s 8.6 trillion manufacturing output, amounting to 1.7 trillion worth of goods.

China was hot on America’s heels. Beijing was responsible for 18.6 percent of the world’s manufacturing output and 1.6 trillion worth of goods.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just one more year and we will be behind China

America is going down the hill.

link   
I liked your link. It puts it into perspective to me. I have a husband and 3 children. We are currently surviving on 1 income.

I make well below the numbers they gave me. We are penny pinchers in every aspect we can be.

I wish employers would use this as a guide! HA! LOL

link   
reply to post by marg6043

In my opinion, that's the globalist agenda...bring everyone to a barely living wage. And while that's a good thing for third-world countries, it is not for us. If done properly and fairly, with new markets opening, there's no reason we have to come down so dramatically to raise the wages in the rest of the world. And that's because it's not the agenda here. But that's really off topic in a way too, so I'll stop.

link   
The calculator did not work for me.

It does not go up to 6 children.

And it ought to allow for more if 5 of the 6 children are girls/women.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I bet we could do some math to come up with close numbers for you.

lol are you implying women cost more?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Sorry, I didn't realise this was posted in the American Meltdown forum...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JRho900

I know the feeling. We've cut back in every way possible to make ends meet without incurring any debt. Kind of hard to do when wages stay virtually frozen for years while everything else (fuel costs, taxes, insurance, food, clothing) goes up up up.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Plenty is posted in the Global Meltdown forum that effects only one country or another. America is still part of the globe last I heard. My point was that this topic is about the cost of living in America. So why do I want to go off on tangents about the rest of the world? If you have a calculator or calculators for the rest of the world that compares to this one...then it would be a different story.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

He, he, It most be niece to have a house full of beauty, girls are so much fun better than boys.

But at least you get deductions still my husband and I no longer can claim our adult children even when we had them both still living at home. (my son just moved out two weeks ago) my daughter is still we us.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

No doubt they are, my son and I are by far the cheapest of the lot to feed, clothe and entertain.

OMG! Wait til those women get married, all those weddings to pay for.

I think I will give them all sucky B-day parties so they get discouraged and elope!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

No only the weddings, but also education, at least from all the 6 some will reach a full education and even post education.

By experience high education is very expensive, when my daughter was in College (UGA) it was like managing two different households but with the same income.

We had the means to provide for the education, I can only imagine how hard have to be for many to send their children to college in this day and time.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Wow this is a load of horse crap. Whoever compiled this information obviously never looked into FL wages. I love the cost of living they give for rent per month, HA yeah good luck finding something in that price range. Jobs pay LESS than what they state on here. I have never seen sales pay that much and I have lived here my entire working life.

This is a little off topic but I have a friend who is pregnant and not working and not for lack of trying either however her husband does wk. She applied for food stamps because they can barely afford to live and were denied. She has one child and her husband is the only one working. They were told he makes too much money. According to this site they need $44k to survive and yet they were told the measly $21k they get is TOO much. It's ridiculous.

S&F

Brevard County, FL

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Please realise that what happens in the rest of the world, directly effects everywhere else in the world.

The USA is not immune from this.

For example.

The current Super tax the Australian government want's to implement on all mining operations here in Australia.

Couldn't effect the cost of living in the USA right? Wrong.

Simply put, If the tax is brought in, the cost of raw products that countries like China import will increase.

This increase will be offset by increasing the cost of the products that China exports to the world, USA included.

Exports like electrical goods and machinery.

So, in the end, the consumer will foot the increased price of goods...it's a domino effect.

So yes, I agree comparing a third world wage with a first world wage is like comparing apples and oranges but to ignore the global effect on your locality is not to be ignored either.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join