It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think they stopped crushing Electric cars back in the 90's? Think again.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Honestly I'm not sure if there's that much of a cover-up going on here because all thru out recent history there have been plenty of cases of one type of technology usurping another and manufacturers either adapt or go out of business. For instance, what we now call "land lines" (telephone lines) are slowing going extinct, being replaced by the ubiquitous cell phone. But have the phone companies died out, or have they simply shifted gears and found a new way to make a profit? My cell carrier is ATT, which used to be part of the old Bell System telephone utilities. They didn't go out of business, they just went in a new direction with a new product. I suppose they could have suppressed the technology that powers today's mobile phones, but they didn't - they ran with it and made lots of money.

This is what will happen with the oil companies - some will die out, while others will be in the business of selling you batteries for your electric car and operation charging stations for electric or hydrogen.

And for anyone who thinks that an electric vehicle will be maintenance free, think again - ANYTHING that has moving parts (and moving parts equal wear and tear) will require some sort of upkeep. Cars will still have brakes and tires, and yes, there will still be accidents and a constant need for body work. Just because something runs off an electric motor doesn't mean it will need no maintenance. And don't forget all the computerized crap that will be in these cars, just as it is in gas and diesel powered vehicles. The last time the engine light came on in my Honda it was because of some failed computer sensor - and guess what it cost me - $500.00!
Believe me, you will still be shelling out big bucks at the corner repair shop (unless you can fix it yourself, but most people aren't that handy).

Here's another thing to consider - the much maligned (and rightly so) BP was actually trying to get in on the solar panel business (and other green technologies) before they screwed up in the gulf. At least they were in the beginning stages of moving towards something other than oil.

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join