It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why a ban on guns would never work.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The argument by another member on why guns should be banned was compelling. It showed the statistics of child deaths in industrialized society. We topped out the Chart with a significant amount of deaths compared to what was shown. (Using stats of another's post. I did not do the research because it really doesn't pertain) My argument to why an all out gun ban is fantastical at best is as follows. I am educated but I am not a steel lathe worker. I know how to make various types of firearms with random stuff. I even know how to make crude black powder. I did not receive any formal training on what I know how to make, other then knowing the BASIC fundamentals and mechanics of firearms and minimal research on the internet. Now that I have that knowledge i will always have that knowledge. Now enter our gunless America. It is not like the entire country does not know what a gun is or how it works. So the concept of a firearm would have to be eradicated. I say this simply because if a person like myself was to have his guns taken away and it was imposible to secure other firearms, I would make my own. Now take the person who is educated in working with metals, presses, bores and lathes. Will he not make a gun or twenty. Maybe not every machine operator but you would have some. So I suggest better gun control which is also moot in this country. So as the old saying goes.... If you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. If they make me an outlaw I will be fine.

Edited to trry to make it a little bit more troll proof

[edit on 21-6-2010 by BlastedCaddy]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Your basic argument that if you outlaw guns people will make their own is to be quite honest, crap.

In the UK we have some of the strongest gun laws in the world, now granted they don’t work every time, we had 12 people sadly die recently in a shooting, the shooter was a legal gun owner using a legal firearm. We do however have a very low level of gun crime when compared to the USA, purely because of our very strict gun laws and I really cannot recall and significant case were a shooter has made his own gun. Yes we have shootings and we have people who own firearms illegally however thanks to the strength of our gun laws when these people are caught the firearms can be withdrawn and the offender punished. The idea that if you outlaw guns you will have an army of blacksmiths building them on the black-market is just fantasy and a really bad argument against gun control.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Some people love frisbee. I love guns. I don't think it is a moot point. I believe there is a possibility that this could happen. Although it will be meet with resistance. Look at Australia... I am baffled by Australia!
I believe they (the powers that be) know the resistance would be beyond their control, "presently" in the US.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

acctualy alott of the guns on our streets are converted replica's and correct me if im wrong but dosn't converting a replica kind of count as making your own.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Regardless of which thread I agree with, your arguments would be better served in that thread.

I grow so weary of competing threads. Would I be ungentlemanly enough to suggest this is just a tiresome attempt to garner S+Fs?

Yes, I would.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
Your basic argument that if you outlaw guns people will make their own is to be quite honest, crap.

In the UK we have some of the strongest gun laws in the world, now granted they don’t work every time, we had 12 people sadly die recently in a shooting, the shooter was a legal gun owner using a legal firearm. We do however have a very low level of gun crime when compared to the USA, purely because of our very strict gun laws and I really cannot recall and significant case were a shooter has made his own gun. Yes we have shootings and we have people who own firearms illegally however thanks to the strength of our gun laws when these people are caught the firearms can be withdrawn and the offender punished. The idea that if you outlaw guns you will have an army of blacksmiths building them on the black-market is just fantasy and a really bad argument against gun control.

Then you don't know much about us Americans. We LOVE guns, even those of us who don't own them. Darn right we would make illegal guns, and grind our own powder and pour our own lead. Brass ornaments would disappear from homes to make cartridges and basements would no longer contain ping-pong tables. If you think that the war on drugs is pointless, just try an American war on guns. It would be like Independence Day x100.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Kevin Ive lived in your country. I lived/worked on a game farm. Your gun laws are just as much of a joke as ours. Strict, pfft... I saw a barn filled with ordinance/firearms from WW2 that are/still/could or would be functional, just like the old fella from Hot Fuzz. The amount of which could probably take over a small country like Wales.
You missed my point. I was basically stating that it can not be done due to the fact that the concept is already present in society. Would Colt or Remington consist of an army of smithies?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Like or not, guns represent freedom here in the US. The ownership of these types of weapons is the right and "ability" to defend and resist tyrannical government or defense of the home land (not to mention self-defense).

Your statistics... I would be interested to know if they victims of the murders had the ability to fight back (if they owned a gun)? If not, they are just a number with an agenda to define the question, answer, & solution.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
i don't love guns and i am American.

i've owned a gun but i don't now.

BANNING firearms would never work, you're right.

the only solution is to eliminate them altogether - for EVERYONE.

and i mean EVERYONE

beat them into plowshares, as it were.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
and to Jokei I really could care less about S&Fs. I wanted to post this as a response in a moderator closed post so I decided to make my own. I am not garnering S&Fs.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

That may be true in the UK, but here in the US, we actually have had some problems with people building improvised guns. It was mostly in the past and most of them are complete junk, mind you, usually built by low level thugs who can't get a firearm any other way, but it doesn't take much imagination to believe the sophistication levels would rapidly rise if the more sophisticated criminal element had a shortage of weapons.

That said, the main reason it won't work in the US is because there are literally tens of millions of unregistered firearms in the country...which is perfectly legal in most jurisdictions, I might add. Most of those won't be turned in.

There's also not much support for a full gun ban among the US public, anyway. Support for any type of gun control legislation has been in decline since hitting its highest point in the mid 1990s and the shift is such that I can't see a major gun control law passing for the foreseeable future.

For my part, I see no justifiable reason to deny tens of millions of responsible firearms owners of their 2nd amendment right.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

the only solution is to eliminate them altogether - for EVERYONE.

and i mean EVERYONE

beat them into plowshares, as it were.

Can't do it. The knowledge and ability is already here. You know... can't put the genie back in the bottle.
People will make projectiles.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Doesn't someone make a pin gun? Or maybe that was a movie...

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Guns are illegal in the UK for the most part. Obtaining 'permission' for one is incredibly hard. They have the lowest gun crime in the world, yes. Their 'knife crime' is equal to the 'gun crime' in the United States, however.

A 'gun ban' will never work in the United States. It's our natural right, as far as I am concerned. A right guaranteed to us by the fathers of this country. There are too many people like me, who would rather die, than give up their guns.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I don’t understand people that are not for gun control, perhaps if you had your child or mother shot dead then gun control would suddenly seem like a good idea. Why do people need guns, i really do not understand that. In American everyone man and his dog seem to own a gun, why? If it is for personal protection and the logic is that everyone else has one, then i should have one to protect myself, then a ban should have been put in place 50 years ago. A ban would not work over night, we had a problem with the volume of dangerous knifes in the uk a while back so to solve to problem there was a 6 moth amnesty on dangerous knifes were people would hand them into the police without prosecution. In the USA this would have to be longer, it would have to be done in stages but it can and should be done. Yes you can look at the UK and point out every incident of gun crime, but when it comes down to it we have less gun crime than in the States and that is just because we can control them. Its only legal in the USA as i understand it, because it was necessary to have guns way back when you were all cow boys. Why won’t you even give it a try?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

You guys must love "cowboys". It's always hurled as an insult.
Was the sword, knife, or bow & arrows necessary?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jeh2324

I am not using the word “cowboy” to insult you, just to illustrate the point that guns were necessary back then, now they are not. Its like the middle ages in the UK when we were all running about with swords, but today you would never see me walking down the street with a sword. The point is that guns should have no place in a modern society.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Because most of us American's feel it's the only way to keep our Government in check, the only way to 'defend ourselves' when our lives are in danger, and because it's our right.

I could write you an essay about the 'Keeping Our Government In Check' but I don't think I am going to. Your 'Cowboy' remark insulted me and I don't see any further reason to reply to you on this subject.

So, I bid you good day.

Oh, and to clarify... they are more needed today than they were back then, in my opinion. Look around at the world in which we live. Simply put, we do not believe in our Government. We do not trust them. We never will.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by The Theorist]

[edit on 21-6-2010 by The Theorist]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
To reply... I am in favor of gun control. Unfortunately my country can not protect me from others who wish to do ill will to me in the moment. It is much easier to pull a trigger then to dial a phone. I have drawn my gun in self defense and saved lives. So yes Kevin you are correct i own guns for 2 reasons. Sport and self defense aka protecting me from all the other idiots that have guns. I hope no one takes that last statement personally. We all know the idiots I am talking about. In other news did we all see the post about all the guns they found along the Mexican boarder. I sure am glad all those boarder states have the means to protect themselves

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I oppose gun control for two reasons. One, it does nothing but restrict the rights of legitimate, responsible gun owners. Criminals, by definition, are going to do whatever they want, anyway, without regard for your gun ban. I see no justifiable reason to restrict the rights of a person who has done nothing wrong. A firearm is an inanimate object. Its only as dangerous as the person using it. Second, its basically just a 'feel-good' measure. Even if by some miracle you can get the guns off the streets, do you honestly think that it will modify the underlying behavior of the criminal element that would use firearms...or any other weapon... with ill-intent? I don't think anyone does and, in fact, your own country is evidence of it. Sure, you've banned guns, but now, you've got a knife crime problem.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by vor78]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join