It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gunmen kill mayor of border town in Mexico drug war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

"CIUDAD JUAREZ (Reuters) – Gunmen killed the mayor of a Mexican town near the U.S. border that is located in the no-man's land of the country's violent drug war, police said on Sunday.

Two weeks ahead of state and local elections, armed men on Saturday shot Jesus Manuel Lara, mayor of Guadalupe Distrito Bravo, which is near the border city of Ciudad Juarez, federal police spokesman Jose Ramon Salinas told Reuters."

This leads me to believe he was in on the drug deals, and he did something the cartels didn't like. Why else would they target the mayor?.. just because he was an easy target, or maybe the cartels think you need to start with local government 1st as well?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Everyone's on the take down in Mexico... good Lord. This was true when I lived in El Paso, it's even more true now. Almost to the point where no one even feigns propriety.

This will get to the point where it spills over the borders of the U.S. in waves - especially moreso since our own government refuses to take the steps necessary to secure the border.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Guadalupe Bravo isn't ON THE BORDER... it's a far southeast barrio miles from the border that is the epicenter of the drug violence.

Everyone in Guadalupe Bravo is fighting over the NAFTA highway and supplies of coc aine are backed up there... It's the war zone, not Juarez.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Yes, but is it within 300 miles of the U.S. border? If so then eventually this will start spilling over the border in waves. That's how it goes with this cartel violence. It starts in a removed town from the border and spreads out from the epicenter like a shockwave.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

Well if you have read anything about "El Chapo", the most famous or infamous I should say, of the drug cartel leaders in Mexico, he has a reputation of offering politicians two choices when he wants something in their town. That choice is either accept a bribe, or a bullet.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

Yes, but is it within 300 miles of the U.S. border? If so then eventually this will start spilling over the border in waves.

Considering the war is about drugs and the majority of consumers are in the US, it should be no surprise that the violence is playing out along the border.

Furthermore, US involvement in this war is another indication we are a part of this problem whether we like it or not.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

Legion2112, My friend it has already spilled over.
What is a solution?
Our spineless President Obama could call the corrupt president of Mexico Felipe Calderón and give him 3 months to clean up his drug problem.
After 3 months and one day, we hit them with everything we got. I know good and well our intelligence service knows where the drug cartels head quarters are located.
Take out the drug cartels, take out their police, military and corrupt government. Annex Mexico, call it South of Southern California or what ever.

Of course that won't happen, with no gonads Obama and I wish I had a real face Pelosi and thick ankles Clinton.
November can't get here soon enough and 2012, now that's a whole new story.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by guohua]

[edit on 20-6-2010 by guohua]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78
reply to post by toolstarr

Well if you have read anything about "El Chapo", the most famous or infamous I should say, of the drug cartel leaders in Mexico, he has a reputation of offering politicians two choices when he wants something in their town. That choice is either accept a bribe, or a bullet.

If one were to only give neither and instead show the middle finger. Not likely mind.

Guohua your enthusiasm is appreciated but the U.S is already fighting a costly insurrection in Afghanistan. It cannot afford in terms of manpower nor finance to launch a second front and risk further destabilisation of the border area. I doubt the drug cartels would bend over to the might of the American military. You'd have more U.S armed forces personnel dying and more innocent civilians being gunned, bombed and strafed in the cross-fire. The one major hindrance to the drugs crisis is the exceedingly high demand for drugs in the U.S. Now, one can either try and legalise all drugs and see what will happen. Which I feel carries enormous risks for obvious reasons. The alternative is to focus stringently on why people become addicted to drugs and make a serious attempt to tackle them. Rather than criminalise vast swathes of the population without treating the root cause.

[edit on 21/6/10 by Retro~Burn]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This stuff's already spilled over our borders. There've been reports of Mexican drug crime spilling well into the U.S. for years...if you looked. Besides, we're too busy with killing our own mayors ... see?

[edit on 21-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

new topics

top topics

join