It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group Land buy? ATS land community???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
So as some of you might be aware, I am currently in the market to buy some land for the whole SHTF scenario.

I was thinking it would be cool if there were other's off of ATS that are also looking and then maybe we can do a group buy and then split up the acreage.

I think the most ideal is higher elevations in the Appalachian Mountains. The gulf is soon to be dead, anywhere near Mexico will result in other immigrant madness, tornado alley in Kansas/Oklahoma is no fun either. Also just read about this deadly fungu spreading in Oregon/Washington

Up wind from major cities, large amounts of natural streams.

ANyway, I have knowledge on building cob houses, have a a few high powered weapons in case of bears or other means, and am still employed.

ANyone interested? Buying acreage in larger amounts brings the per acre cost down considerably.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
My Family and 4 other famlies are in the motion of doing the same thing as we speak.in the same location you are speaking U2U me maybe we can share some info or consolidate

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
It's funny you say Appalachia, I have zeroed in on that entire chain more than once in my fantasy "escape-to-a-wilderness, make-a-stronghold" scenarios.

If you're serious, send a U2U? I've got some skills to offer as well, especially agriculture, food preservation, and construction. Some medical. Some chemistry.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

Alchemist. Check your u2u.

2nd line

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Send a U2U to me also as I'd like to hear more and potentially be interested. I live about 1 hour away from the Appalachian Mountains, and every time I drive to VA or WV taking the back country roads, its awesome to see how much land is still untouched and private.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Let me know where you guys end up...
I want to make sure I have one of my cameras facing in that direction.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
If you want to buy it in Virginia count me in. The wife and I are in process of moving to Lynchburg, selling our current home and renting an apartment while we look to buy a new house. I was thinking of buying a smaller house with more land.
ANyhow, keep me posted please. I teach survival skills and am willing to teach others at no charge if they're interested.
Regards, ATA

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I've found that the best land deals to be in the west texas,colorado, new mexico area. My only concern in this area, as stated above, Is problems of immigrants from mexico in mass numbers during the confusion. However i too am looking for a place and have many, many useful skills that would be crucial for long term survival. (mechanical, electrical energy production methods,and many more.)

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
if moving to the mountains sounds good, be ready for the colder climate.
I live in the mountains, well rocky mountains, and would not trade it for anything, i drive a hour to work every day, but its worth it.
The views are great.

You have to get use to the different climate. It can be 80 F down in a town, but up on the mountain top its only 50.

The air is thinner, so normal exercise is different , you have to adjust and get use to less oxygen. Anyone that has gone for a ride in the hill's and got out for a walk can tell you it will effect you. It takes a few days for your body to adjust to the different altitude.

Hunting is much different when you are walking through thigh deep snow. Best look into a few horses, which as some added things to think about.

Not sure what kind of game is there, i'd check into that as well.

The other problem with the mountains is the water table level, you would have to find land with year round running stream/river to make sure you had enough water supply. Sure you can drill to water and put in a well, but at that depth it runs into some serious cash.

just food for though.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I see I'm amongst friends here, lol.

Yes, practical issues would include a cave available,preferably nearby and with running water from an underground river. I found a perfect one in a more southern location, don't know how that would work in the higher elevations, but please, do get back to us with definite plans and let's see what happens....

There is strength in numbers. Galt's Gulch may still be possible, at least for a while longer.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
WOW! I have long had this dream! I would be down for the cause! Plus, i can't think of a better community!!!

Me and the boyfriend for the last few years have been doing a lot of survival research and we do a lot of hiking on the Appalachian trail, we often talk about becoming through hikers and just walking all the time maybe even living off the land.

Please let me know some of your ideas! I might reallllly be interested!!

btw i went to beauty school
free haircuts!!! lol

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Yeah ive been looking at this for a while. I'd be in for a group buy.

The best area in my opinion is wv, low population density, and I already know an area with a underground river. That's honestly the only state ive ever really considered.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Why don't we just preplan a meeting place. WTSHTF, we won't need to buy anything. Just plan on a place for like-kinded people to congregate and start a new community. Perhaps setting up several sanctuary sites in advance would be a prudent thing to do. Need to make sure if going to the mountains that there is good enough land to raise food on. need room for food plots and raising livestock. Make sure the growing season is long enough to raise enough food to last the inhabitants thru the non-growing season.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by vtcajun
reply to post by dominicus

Why don't we just preplan a meeting place. WTSHTF, we won't need to buy anything. Just plan on a place for like-kinded people to congregate and start a new community. Perhaps setting up several sanctuary sites in advance would be a prudent thing to do. Need to make sure if going to the mountains that there is good enough land to raise food on. need room for food plots and raising livestock. Make sure the growing season is long enough to raise enough food to last the inhabitants thru the non-growing season.

There is plenty of national forest in west and southwestern virginia. We should pick spots that have good resources and are a bit off the beaten path.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I'm in the wrong place to join you.

I'm a builder (cabinet maker/joiner), with a keen interest in construction with strength.

My ideal dwelling type would be a 'dome home'

A monolithic dome.

Think: upside down bowl with windows and doors.

en.wikipedia.org...

they are pretty much everything proof. I dont think I would like to be underground if there was an earthquake

MM

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
We're looking to do the same, but in and around Idaho area.. land is cheap, and very sparsely populated

I'm stuck in my current location for the next three years though, while I finish my undergraduate, then I'm looking to do a graduate program in Idaho so I can buy my land there.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'd love to, but my wife won't move from Tallahassee!

My ideal SHTF is my old stomping grounds in the "Four State Area" of KS, OK, MO, AR. Jesse James caves, Limestone Caverns, and even an entrance to one of the mythic endless underground caverns to inner earthnear Gravette, AR! (Don't know if I believe that, but there are some threads on ATS about it!) Many popular movie scenarios have had the people relocated to the "limestone caverns constructed in Missouri."

We wouldn't need to construct them, I know where there are already dozens of entrances to existing cave systems.

Check out Macdonald County Missouri and the surrounding areas.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I would also be interested in this idea. When I was younger I always had a dream of building a self sustaining bunker under lots of usable land for farming. (I was a strange little girl...) Since I'm closer to the East coast than the West though, the Appalachian area, Virginia, and West Virgina sound like much more do-able areas. I have my own place, but the basement sucks. I don't think I'll have too hard of a time convincing my parents to let me convert their basement into a survival bunker, but it's not exactly ideal. I have a vast knowledge of natural heath and healing therapies, and I'm learning first aid as soon as I can get myself in a class. I'm learning quite a bit about farming, and I'm ordering seed kits to have on hand over the next few weeks (why do they make veggie seed kits, but all the fruits only come individually??
) My next project is to build several faraday boxes and bags to shield my external drive (which I need a spare of anyway) so that all the research I've done doesn't get fried should there be EMPs to deal with. I'd want to be as useful as possible during a disaster, if you didn't get that idea. It would be great to build a community of similar minded individuals to survive potential disasters. I agree with the poster that mentioned that just picking out a site to meet would be a good first step, but if someone(s) want to prep it or start building on it, that's quite a fine idea as well.
Let's keep this thread going, or at least U2U me if plans get going, or if I can help in any way.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
This cause might be a worthy one but isn't this solicitation?

How about sending me money and I will buy land and we can all live in Harmony. Sounds like a sales pitch to me. Sorry, I don't trust the nature of the beast.

Why not wait for the fall of Babylon and go and set yourself down where you can grow your own food and support your own family. Do this near those you can trust and create a community.

Once America falls there will be no more money, no more land ownership, no more consumerism. If you think a fence is law than you will always be a victim of the same thing that Europeans victimized the Natives over. Land ownership? It doesn't exist because everyone dies; we have to see ourselves as custodians and we have to allow those to care for what they can care for. Land holdings and National Parks will become obsolete.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
my family has 1200 acers in california in the Mt's. fully stocked with gas food, all the wildlife you can hunt. chickens ,45 cows, 10 fully stocked ponds. year round fresh spring, walk in safe with about 20 rifles, 5 shot guns and about 10 hand guns. soler powerd house and wells. the only problem is getting to it when the SHTF happens. its 4 hours away. still trying to work that out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join