It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You need an Avatar!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I just about ten minutes ago went down a page that had an avatar next to every post. I noticed it made that page far more interesting. I have no idea what
the avatar to member ratio is. If I had to guess I'd go with 35 to 40 percent.

I think it's way to low and would make this site far more interesting if everyone
would take some time and set one up. Don't just grab one though. Get one that says something about you. There are people down in BTS who will help you get a cool one. So get one if you don't have one, it really makes a difference. Those who have one tell me what it means to you. I find this kind of information fascinating to say the least.

I'll relate mine later. If you don't have one
get one. Then come back and tell me why you went with it. What it means to you. Get em
people.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Those who have one tell me what it means to you.

Mine says it all - I have issues.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Hey! I agree and I think avatar choices (besides being entertaining) can also provide a lot of information about the poster, depending on the avatar choice and the reasons behind it. Here's some interesting information and description of a study done regarding avatars and images and what they "may" say about you... I find it intriguing...

Uncertainty Reduction Theory posits that people's primary goal in an interaction is to reduce uncertainty about the person they are interacting with. In reducing uncertainty, people strive to understand people's behavior during interactions as well as to predict future behavior Thus, people strive to 'get to know' or form perceptions of others...

...because avatars are a visible representation of a person ... evaluations based on the physical appearance of the avatar may be transferred to them. In other words, people use information related to the virtual image in a process analogous to the one they have learned and used to reduce uncertainty during their experience in natural environments...

...It is possible that the presence of an avatar is a strong social cue that influences people's perceptions, leading them to perceive interfaces as more 'social'. Similarly, how people perceive avatars may influence both the self-perception and perception of others using a particular avatar as well as message perception and retention...

The full study can be found on the opening post of this thread:

Influence of Avatars and Images

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
My ATS settings say I have chosen an avatar, but it is not showing up. What am I doing wrong?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Besides an avatar I need 8 more posts to use the member upload space. I'll get there, but it'll take time as time is in short supply.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
My ATS won't let me create one.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I'm reading your post and I say to myself. Great information Lady.
Were you just waiting for me to get this post up? Like you couldn't
wait to put that info somewhere. Thank you for that. A headlock and a nuggie for ya.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracyguru

My ATS won't let me create one.

Now why is that? Have you been do9wn below?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Woot! nuggies! Lol.

Nah - I just wanted to add the information about the study - thought it was insightful.

Interesting question that; why do people choose what they choose?

Hmmmm.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Maybe because they can't dance????

or.......

it's HAARP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Yeah.

HAARP made me do it.

eeeevil

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79
My ATS settings say I have chosen an avatar, but it is not showing up. What am I doing wrong?

You probably need to apply the url of the image to your ATS account settings. From the page where your avatar is uploaded there should be a box with the URL within. Copy it and go to Member Tools > ATS Account Settings > Avatar URL and apply it there. Submit the settings.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Dewi Winters]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by randyvs

Woot! nuggies! Lol.

Nah - I just wanted to add the information about the study - thought it was insightful.

Hmmmm.

I honestly don't know...

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

I just about ten minutes ago went down a page that had an avatar next to every post. I noticed it made that page far more interesting. I have no idea what
the avatar to member ratio is. If I had to guess I'd go with 35 to 40 percent.

I agree with you. I think it can actually boost a discussion. By the way, I am unsure whether my avatar is visible: could anyone tell me? Thank you!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by undesirableusername

Looks good! Is that you?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by undesirableusername

Looks good! Is that you?

If you see a crouching girl, then yes

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I chose mine because mothman is very near and dear to me. I would like a better one but im horrible at image editing if anyone could help me with it i would greatly appreciate it.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The primary reasons for why I chose my current avatar are a) I love the work of the photographer, and b) it holds close meaning for me as my nationality is Australian. It's not me in the photograph, but I thought the picture was gorgeous.

People will choose their avatar for any number of reasons, in my opinion. Looking back at some of my previous avatars, I have mostly chosen pictures that denote a sense of freedom or vagueness, or possess a feminine figure, but that ultimately relate to my username.
Do I come across as pretty vacant to you?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I have about five or six stored in my pictures that i change between regularly, and I will probably add more in future, I get bored with the same avatar all the time

If its not myself in my avatar then I always seem to have another girlie in them, dont know why, quite feminine i suppose.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
I have about five or six stored in my pictures that i change between regularly, and I will probably add more in future, I get bored with the same avatar all the time

I remember a while ago there being a feature, if not from ATS then offered by another image hosting website, where pictures would alternate between a pool of them so that your avatar would never stay the same, but change each time the page was loaded. Does anyone know if that is still allowed?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join