It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone help me with this? Take my political test

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Okay so I have decided to create my on small quiz to test what your political identity is. I will be using this map

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d28b271173ec.png[/atsimg]

Which was created by the fine people of Politicalcompass.org.

I have designed my own questions, they are for people of all countries and is just a broad test of your beliefs. It is a different form of test so just follow the directions carefully. And I can't wait to hear your feedback!

I will ask a question, and you will have a scale to weigh your opinion. Your scale range is -10 to +10 , if you give an answer a -10 that means you Very strongly disagree with that statement, if you give an answer of +10 that means you Very strongly agree with that statement. An answer of 0 means no opinion or not important. You can choose any number between -10 to +10.

You can analyze the results yourself or ask me to analyze them for you, just post which ever you want (help or not) at the bottom of your post and I will respond ASAP.

When you are finished adding up your answers you divide them by 10. The map goes from Economic Right-Left, on the far right you have +10 and on the far left you have -10. Same goes for Social Up-Down, on the far top you have +10 and on the far bottom you have -10.

Example:

I have the answers on economic of; 5, -1, -2, 3, 5, 3, 2, 4, 1, 0 = 20 divided by 10 = 2.0

I have the answers on social of; -3, -2, -5, -8, -4, 0, 0, 1, 3, -2 = -20 divided by 10 = -2.0

That would give me a result of Economic = 2.0, Social = -2.0

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db14543ab28e.png[/atsimg]

The Test

Economic

1. A Free Market economy allocates resources more efficiently
2. The lower the taxes the better off we are
3. A less regulated economy is better than an economy with government intervention
4. We should cut government spending, even if it means cutting social spending
5. We should not agree to international treaties that harm economic growth to protect the environment
6. The role of government should not include economic intervention
7. We need to reduce or eliminate the welfare system
8. Government should not nationalize businesses
9. Labor Unions slow growth and stifle innovation
10. Tariffs harm innovation and create monopolies

Social

1. Gay marriage should not be permitted
2. Religion/morals should be taught in public schools
3. Abortion should be strictly illegal
4. Government should be able to spy on their citizens for security reasons
5. You cannot be moral without being religious
6. We should allow capital punishment for severe crimes
7. War, without direct threat, is perfectly acceptable
8. Marijuana should be kept illegal
9. Homosexuals should not be allowed to adopt or raise children
10. Government has an obligation to uphold the moral order

[edit on 6/18/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
My results

Economic

1. -5
2. -8
3. -4
4. -7
5. -6
6. -10
7. -10
8. -7
9. -9
10. -8

Social

1. -10
2. -10
3. -7
4. -9
5. -10
6. -7
7. -1
8. 0
9. -4
10. -9

Score

Economic: -7.4
Social: -6.7

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e0925d4d08a5.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I took the this test recently....and twice altogether. The first time I took it, I was straight down 4 blocks from dead center.

The second time, I was 4 blocks down and to the left a few...don't remember where exactly...but it is reminiscent of what I have learned and how my opinions have changed.

It's an interesting survey nonetheless...I think you are slightly to the left of me and a bit more libertarian...at least by this chart.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Cripes...what's up with my double posts? Second one today....

[edit on 18-6-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Economic
1 +7
2 +3
3 -5
4 +5
5 -7
6 -7
7 -7
8 +3
9 -7
10 +6

Social
1 -10
2 -7 I believe religion should never be taught in schools, but some morals are okay to teach children (don't fight, don't hit, blah blah blah, the general stuff.). Morals and religion are primarily up to the parents.
3 -9
4 -10
5 -10
6 -10
7 -10
8 -10
9 -10
10 -8

Nice test. I would put myself more Liberal economically though. Maybe at a -1 or -2. I want more government projects such as things like NASA, etc. If I could, I would have projects to rebuild the infrastructure.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
These quizzes are really hard if you don't subscribe to a 'mainstream' belief.

example... "1. Gay marriage should not be legal " I find this question incredibly difficult to answer yes or no. I don't think marriage in general should be a legal matter. The state should have nothing to do with it.

A good way to reword this question is "Gays should not be able to get married". It takes the legality out of it and people like me can respond with a level of agreement or disagreement.

Another good example is "9. Labor Unions slow growth and stifle innovation ". This is like saying, "Bee's sting people". They can, they do, but not all of 'em and for many reason's are necessary for certain functions in nature. Labor Unions can slow growth and stifle innovation.... but corporations, the government, and religious zealotry do as well.

I find these political quizzes trite. I think a paradigm quiz would be more interesting and revealing.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I'm apparently a right wing libertarian. However..

Some of your questions make no sense. For instance: 8. We, as a people, should prefer our own nationality and race before others

This is a Libertarian principle (issolationism in general is) .. no open borders, which is a Progressive belief, and is not measured by Libetarian/Authoritarian scales.. answering +10 means your an authoritarian (wtf?) while -10 (being a progressive liberal) means you are a libertarian?

I've notice a few of these questions, they are slanted or worded a specific way to alter the chart.. which perhaps why every time I take one of these I'm always at a different spot: depends on the questions and how they are asked.

Personally, I'm less than impressed.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Exactly my point as well.. gay marriage imo is not a Federal matter, thus I'm Libertarian in my belief, but if a state wishes to accept it or deny it, imo that's their right as a majority to decide.

Never trust a chart to tell you what you believe I guess.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I'm apparently a right wing libertarian. However..

After reading numerous posts from you, you are definitely not a right wing libertarian.....whether you think you are or not.

You do have common sense...and that is a complement to you btw.

no open borders, which is a Progressive belief, and is not measured by Libetarian/Authoritarian scales..

That's not necessarily true... a Globalist...yes...a Progressive....no.....if you support anti-trust laws and tariffs to protect small businesses and individual economies....then that does not apply.

I am no longer interested in labels. I just want our country to thrive again...like it used to be...like our grandparents fought for...long before I was born.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Exactly my point as well.. gay marriage imo is not a Federal matter, thus I'm Libertarian in my belief, but if a state wishes to accept it or deny it, imo that's their right as a majority to decide.

Agreed. GOvernment should have ZERO influence on marriage. If a church doens't want to recognize it...then fine...they don't have to. But let a church that wants recognize it DO IT. No law should prohibit marriage between 2 individuals.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
apparently I"m having a problem with my mouse or computer as I keep double posting...

[edit on 18-6-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

That's not necessarily true... a Globalist...yes...a Progressive....no.....if you support anti-trust laws and tariffs to protect small businesses and individual economies....then that does not apply.

Open borders referring specifically to immigration is a Progressive belief, yes.. Politicians not so much, it's about money to them, but to the people who understand little about economics, open borders becomes some pseudo humanitarian mission that everyone who wants to come to America should be allowed.

When speaking economically it would be on a Globalist level, but even then Progressivism is a belief to destroy borders, neutralize national identity throughout the World .. it is the social arm of Globalism.

My point is that charts like this makes no sense. For instance, Authoritarian and Libertarian are left right philosophies, placed above and below a scale measuring "left right" .. make no sense, to me at least. It should read Libertarian Authoritarian as right/left respectively and then Liberal Conservative as above and below. It would give a better representation to belief.. if it were measured this way I'd probably fall into the Liberal Libertarian margins.

As far as I not being a Libertarian or right/left I believe that's going to depend on someones interpretation of what that even means. I consider myself far right-wing, on federal matters, social matters to be middle left wing.. but social matters at the federal level matter very little to me.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
My scores are closest to Phlynx.

As you move up the chart vertically, you should be happier with bigger government, and down, smaller government.
As you move horizontally left you should be happier with more liberty, and to the right, more traditional values and coercion.
Then it gets tricky.
If you move diagonally left and up, you want economic security for the masses (requiring a more totalitarian government), but if you move diagonally RIGHT and up, you want economic security for YOU personally or YOUR group (requiring a more totalitarian government as well).
If you move diagonally left and down, personal liberty with less government intrusion to create some sort of ideal society, and diagonally right and down, economic liberty and the free market.

So, what we have had is this. All recent presidents have been on the totalitarian/authoritarian side, with either the progressives using bigger government to attempt to achieve their goals, or the conservatives using bigger government to protect theirs and further theirs.

Only Ron Paul has advocated moving away from the Authoritarian side, towards the Libertarian side.

Edit to add link:
A great read for anyone interested.

www.zerohedge.com...

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Stewie]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Wow I just charted that, you are definitely an Anarchist.

I apologize if any of these questions are a little 'off', this is the first time I created a test.

@ Stewie

Great analysis of the chart, and Ron Paul when charted by Political Compass is (9, 1) which still puts him on the Authoritarian side, but not by much

@ Rockpuck

The meaning of the question you are arguing about is not about open borders and globalisation because I am opposed to that. It is more of a racial question, for example, "Do you support your race and the people of your country better than other races and other people?" It's not asking about should we let others in or not.

@ DINSTAAR

I reworded the homosexual marriage question so it is not in a legal sense, as for the labor union question I definitly see your side of opinion about some good some bad, but I was simply asking in general not in all cases.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

This is not the same test as the Political Compass, I was asking you to take this test and give your results to this test.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

The meaning of the question you are arguing about is not about open borders and globalisation because I am opposed to that. It is more of a racial question, for example, "Do you support your race and the people of your country better than other races and other people?" It's not asking about should we let others in or not.

Right and I'm saying that 1. It's a confusing question that alters the outcome of the test because 2. it has nothing to do with Libertarian/Authoritarian views. Assuming it was about race, there are plenty of racist Liberals/progressives and plenty of racist Conservatives/libertarians .. the measurement of authority is not in regards to personal views on morals or race, but whether or not GOVERNMENT has any say in such things.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Yeah. And they are also hard if you are a philosopher. Im still stuck on question one.

1. A Free Market economy allocates resources more efficiently.

Whose free market? Adam Smiths? Which would imply perfect competition, information, blah blah, or this sham of a "free market" we have going which is actually just an oligopolistic nightmare?

At this rate, I will finish the quiz sometime shortly before I die of old age.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Seems you have the same problem I have!

Almost all the questions, even the ones on the "actual" test, are very transparent and are open for discussion, and theres really no yes or no answer (even in a 10 point system) to them.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

There is really nothing wrong with that question. It is not asking if you think we currently have a free market, only whether you think it is the most efficient at allocating resources.
Pretty straightforward.
The gradients would measure TO WHAT EXTENT FOR, or TO WHAT EXTENT AGAINST that principle.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I agree that the race question should be excluded. The left it seems cannot fathom that they could be racists.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join