It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Probing Possible Google Trends Hack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Google Probing Possible Google Trends Hack

www.cbsnews.com

Someone logging onto the Google Trends website at around 9 AM would have seen the phrase "lol n------". Many of the other terms were also unusually broad and not in keeping with the usual sorts of hot topic terms which appear on the page.

A spokeswoman said the company was "investigating reports of an unusual query appearing on Google Trends this morning" but had no further comment.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Ok last time it was a swastika, curse words before it.
I try to avoid Google probably due to this type activity,
and tracking.

This was Google Trends that was hacked, not the actual Google Search, or Mail. But can you imagine if they ever hacked Google search data bank? Or worse yet, Google mail?

Just saying, this is a fair warning.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
who knows

maybe inside job ... who knows

any thing is open to hacking

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Well if it was an inside job, someone has a pretty serious hate going
for Google, not to mention the racial slur. Really bad taste if I may say so myself. Not showing too much intelligence. This is a perfect example of someone being brilliantly stupid.

Here are some more links.....

www.helium.com...

This one has a picture. (Very wrong)
www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.politicsdaily.com...

technology.gather.com...

indyposted.com...

thenextweb.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I can tell you where this came from.

I'm not going to name the site, but they are sites full of kids on the internet who do crap like this. Actually, it's more like one site full of kids who think this crap is funny.

But it's not hacking. What it is is them spamming phrases in the search engine over and over again, and when you factor in how many people do it it quickly gets certain phrases on the list.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Judohawk]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Judohawk

True Story. Not 'hacking', just spamming. I find these 'stunts' rather amusing sometimes, but I find this distasteful. It's not about racism, it's about getting people to whine about it. So it was successful.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Kids or not, tricks are for ?

I kid you not, most of us never heard about this:

In the past few months Google, Intel, Symantec and Northrop Grumman -- all companies thought to have been targets of a widespread spying operation -- have added new warnings to their U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filings informing investors of the risks of computer attacks.

Google doesn't talk about the specific attack against its systems, but it now warns shareholders that this type of event is a material risk.

"[O]utside parties may attempt to fraudulently induce employees, users, or customers to disclose sensitive information in order to gain access to our data or our users' or customers' data," Google wrote in a section added to its annual financial report in February, a month after it disclosed the hacking incident.

Google warned that it could lose customers following a breach, as users question the effectiveness of its security. "Because the techniques used to obtain unauthorized access, disable or degrade service, or sabotage systems change frequently and often are not recognized until launched against a target, we may be unable to anticipate these techniques or to implement adequate preventative measures," the company said in the filing.

Google's admission that it had been targeted put a public spotlight on a problem that had been growing for years: targeted attacks, known to security professionals as the advanced persistent threat (APT). These attacks are often successful because they are low-volume, fly under the radar of most security companies and are extremely targeted. In many APT attacks, the victim is sent

www.businessweek.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I took part in this "hack"
I just let the script run over the last few days and eat my bandwidth.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
OP trust us. This is not a big deal. It's a silly little prank, and now it is making me laugh.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Remember when some chantards got the 卐 going and caused a huge controversy?

It's a Chinese character but looks like a swastika and offended a lot of people when they saw it in Google trends.

I think its hilarious

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

yeah. I think its pretty funny too. The amount of rage generated is pretty amusing. Some people just don't understand.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Raustin]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Soooo just a word to the wise... These "hacks" are merely bots scripted by one or at most a handful of intelligent people and then gifted to a lower minded mass to wreak havoc on certain websites for sheer enjoyment. I can guarantee it was from 4chan, and you know what, I love what they do with the world. I love the chaos they can bring to any "stable" organization's dwelling site on the internet, and I love the reactions they can get out of people so easily. How can we live on this earth without a sense of humor? People get too easily offended by mundane words that are unfortunately a part of our defined language. I apologize if people are easily offended, but that only fuels the fire for so many other individuals who call the internet their home. So my advice to anyone who frowns at this type of activity is to shrug it off and put a smile on about it, because there are always paths and shortcuts through a system that looks like a brick wall.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
As immature as those little buggers are, it's kinda funny.

Hell, most of the internet memes that are actually funny come from there.

All it is is kids with too much time on their hands.

top topics

join