It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada should expect rise in honour killings, expert says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Canada should expect rise in honour killings, expert says

www.nationalpost.com

Dr. Muhammad has studied honour killings in Canada for the Department of Justice for a forthcoming position paper. Early evidence from recent crimes suggests other names may one day be remembered alongside 16-year-old Aqsa Parvez of Mississauga.

Earlier this week in Quebec, an Afghan mother was charged with attempted murder and assault after her 19-year-old daughter

In Ontario, police in Kingston suspect honour killing as a motive in the drowning deaths of three teenage sisters and an adult
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nationalpost.com
montreal.ctv.ca
www.hindustantimes.com
www.canada.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.belowtopsecret.com...
Turkish girl, 16, buried alive for talking to boys
Teen slain in honour killing 'was pregnant'

[edit on 17-6-2010 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This concerns me greatly. I have no problem with people being able to practice their choice of religion for the most part but when it involves stuff like this, my position changes. What kind of person believes it is ok to kill your children to restore honour to your family and for the most part it is young women dying. They are dying because they wore a skirt or kissed a boy or came home late from a party.

I am a pretty tolerant person for the most part but when this stuff starts to creep into my country, my tolerance ends. Any person that practices what ever of whatever religion that espouses this as an acceptable practice should NEVER be allowed in my country. Not for a visit, not to work, not to live.

This is from one of the links below...

Muhammad's report contains statistics from the United Nations Population Fund which reveal that more than 5,000 women are victims of so-called "honour" killings each year.

To me that is disgusting and I just can't fathom the type of mind that could do something like that. I have a daughter and it is unthinkable that I could consider hurting her to restore my honour. What kind of twisted logic is that?

This is something that we can't allow to happen in our societies. It is disgusting.

www.nationalpost.com

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I dislike the fact they bring those types of things into our culture like we are just supposed to accept it as normal.
Killing a family member is not normal in any way shape or form.
The other thing I can't stand is carrying female genital mutilation on over to our country.
If they can't act without wanting to harm another human being then they should be shown the door back to their own country.

Is it possible to even screen that?

Edit to add....What suggestions do you have to stop this kind of thing from happening in our country without being labelled as discriminating to Muslims?

[edit on 17-6-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The sad fact is that many of the people who practice honor killings are getting fast tracked into the country. They tend to come from poor conflict wracked nations which means they get in easier as refugees, but they bring the issues that led to the problems in there old country with them.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Impossible to screen. The millions of those in the Muslim community need to stand up and demand this stops. They need to denounce and say: this is not part of our religion and we do not support it and will not tolerate it anymore.

But wait. What is that deafening silence?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It is sad that this is starting up in Canada. When my parents came here it was to live a better life and get away from the religious fanatics in their countries. They did not bring those values which we all consider to be abhorrent with them and neither did the rest of their family when they came. They learned french and went to work and raised their family with traditional CANADIAN family values.

Religion aside, any immigrant family that moves into the country and any member of that family commits a capital crime should be deported, no excuses and bleeding hearts for them. I don't want Canada to suffer for these people who only want to change our country to be like it was "back home"

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I have flagged your post as it should be bought to attention.... honor killings in the name of family bloodlines is ridiculous but lets not forget that there are many groups/factions who don't like people from other backgrounds dating their sons/daughters.....

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is what happens to a country when the death penalty is abolished, people don't fear committing atrocious crimes like this.

I know some of your are against the death penalty, that's fine, that's not what this is about.

What I'm saying is that honor killings are increasing under the guise of religion, because there is no fear of retribution so people have the notion that they have the freedom to do whatever they want.

Nice find OP

SM

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789

This concerns me greatly. I have no problem with people being able to practice their choice of religion for the most part but when it involves stuff like this, my position changes. What kind of person believes it is ok to kill your children to restore honour to your family and for the most part it is young women dying. They are dying because they wore a skirt or kissed a boy or came home late from a party.

I am a pretty tolerant person for the most part but when this stuff starts to creep into my country, my tolerance ends. Any person that practices what ever of whatever religion that espouses this as an acceptable practice should NEVER be allowed in my country. Not for a visit, not to work, not to live.

This is from one of the links below...

Muhammad's report contains statistics from the United Nations Population Fund which reveal that more than 5,000 women are victims of so-called "honour" killings each year.

To me that is disgusting and I just can't fathom the type of mind that could do something like that. I have a daughter and it is unthinkable that I could consider hurting her to restore my honour. What kind of twisted logic is that?

This is something that we can't allow to happen in our societies. It is disgusting.

www.nationalpost.com

wow so you accept the dark ages?

. I have no problem with people being able to practice their choice of religion

Islam has been causing alot of pain and violence towards woman and if you believe that is a normal thing then there is something wrong with you.

Women in Saudi Arabia have been trying to get away from Islam with there lives, and if those women didnt make it, they are punished with extreme methods

I cant believe people here on ATS are supporting Islam before thinking first.

Makes me sad to hear.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I really hate how people try to mold religion to fit their own worldly desires.

Yeah lets restore the honor to our family by killing all the members of it. can they even comprehend how asinine that is?!?

How can they get to a point where killing is the only solution? What must a person experience in their lifetime to ever think of murder as a viable option?!?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Canada is a country known to be tolerant of other people's cultures, but this is something that should never be allowed to happen. There should be a law that will have deportation immediately for these types of behaviours.

People should be told when they come into our country that there are certain things we do not tolerate, like killings, abuse, mutilation, etc. If they are going to claim religious beliefs, well we should just say then don't come here.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789

It's not logic, how can you expect logic within fanaticism?

Extremism is a disease of the mind
There is no thinking clearly

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I doubt it. It would be prety easy to lie about what particular branch of Islam they practice. Maybe we should have a tighter immigration process? I don't know to be honest

Edit to add....What suggestions do you have to stop this kind of thing from happening in our country without being labelled as discriminating to Muslims?

Another poster said it best. The majority of muslims need to stand up and denounce these practices. Until we can get the people that actually practice the religion on our side, I don't know if there is much we can do with out being labeled racist/bigots/intolerant by the screaming minority.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

Absolutely agree. We don't need to spend a fortune of tax payer money on housing them in our jails on our soil. If they are found guilty, off ya go back to where ever you came from. This could obviously only apply to people that do not have full Canadian citizenship yet.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Ya mate, I support the dark ages by believing that people should have freedom of religion as long as they don' harm others in their practice of it.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The doctor in the article agrees with you. This is from the canada.com article though, written a few years before this current one.

Along with extreme traditional beliefs, there are deeper mental health issues that need to be considered, Muhammad said.

Quite often, people who are willing to kill members of their own family to restore some notion of honour are doing so, not just because they believe it to be right based on culture, but also because they are mentally ill in some way.

"Somehow, it gets ignored," Muhammad said, citing a lack of understanding in the West and the lack of mental health personnel in developing nations as part of the problem.

And I agree. You have to be out of your mind to believe this to be acceptable.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
If they can't act without wanting to harm another human being then they should be shown the door back to their own country.

We must avoid painting with broad brush strokes here, and understand the underlying issue. This is culture shock in its purest form.

This is an issue with the behaviors of both the parent and the child in this case. In the culture that the parents come from we see a repressive authoritarian culture of obedience, espacially against women. The parents are subservient to their culture and the norms and mores of their native country. The resentment of this abosolute authority and lack of freedom is manifested in them mirroring the repressive system becoming authoritarian, and demanding obedience from their children and others whom they percieve as being dependant or subservient to them. This behavior is the parents' attempt at becoming free through taking the role of the opressor in the home.

On the other hand...

The children grow up among others in a culture of personal choice and compromise. They naturally recoil against any attempt to set strict absolute rules that they feel are unreasonable. This leads to rebellion and antipathy between parent and child, the child feels that their personal liberty is being threatened and the parent. Tensions build and the parent sees their authority fail. To restore their authority they exercise the ultimate control that of life and death. The death of this kid was in her parent's mind the ultimate acceptance of their authority.

Again, this is culture shock. The parents are unable to deal with the way kids act in this country and the kids are unable to understand the parents' position. In this case though, a terrible price is paid for a lack of understanding.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by dontblink]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth..

Now, I've been very vocal about religion on ATS, but I've always said that it was the organization of religion that was the problem. It wasn't a personal dislike it was an ideological dislike.

This however, is a personal dislike of mine. I could not possibly understand how anybody could do such a thing, for any reason. I'm a bit concerned that we might be seing the rise of extremism in our larger cities like the GTA.

As a parent, I have to wonder what some of these people would do to other people's kids if they have such low regard for their own?

~Keeper

[edit on 6/17/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
"The sad fact is that many of the people who practice honor killings are getting fast tracked into the country. They tend to come from poor conflict wracked nations which means they get in easier as refugees, but they bring the issues that led to the problems in there old country with them."

Correct. This is the garbage you have to deal with when you allow these type of people into your country. These people don't give a damn about Western values - they come off the boat and act like they own the place and can do whatever they please. Better than sending them back, just don't bring them here in the first place. The Government is to blame 100%.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Can I state for the record, that this IS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION.

This is a cultural issue - that uses the fundamtenal weaknesses of religion to justify itself. Yes, Religion as usual helps propagate evil behaviour - but it isn't the cause.

The cause here is psychotic, uneducated and pathetic behaviour from low-life scum who value their own so called 'honour' more than they do the life of a young person.

Parallex.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join