It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigeria has oil spill that's been going on for over 50 years!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
most people only find stuff about the Niger Delta in Geography books. Not elsewhere... it's only Nigeria... who cares about Nigeria? They lost again in the World Cup and you get a lot of scammers online from there... and at a push a god damn civil war... that's pretty much it... oh and aids and famine... but that's all of Africa...

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Adono86]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
What this goes to show is how much power the big corporations have over the masses, because there is nothing anybody can do to get them to change, and that all they care about is one thing: profit.

And it's sad.

We need something better.

But I have no idea if there is anything else that would be better than the corporate control.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
We ( as in We, I mean Americans) should be worried about the Gulf spill and Not the Nigeria leak. We need to fix our problems at home. It's not I don't feel for those people but Obama is Not in charge of Africa. Let the African officials deal with their problems.

After this leak is fixed and Americans want to send aid, that's fine. but it is not the USA's place to get involved in every affair of other countries.

I do agree that someone dropped the ball for not jumping on that issue sooner. 50 years is a long time to let something like that go.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

But isn't that what the US always does?

I mean get involved in every country affairs even when not called? I had the impression that that was the standard US behavior. But I guess that cleaning oil leaks caused by American companies on other countries "backyards" isn't too advantageous.

I'm praying that once these leaks stop we end up without a single drop of oil to use, because only then this stupidity of relying on oil will end.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
I hope this shuts up all the people saying that the human race will become extinct due to this oil spill.

Unfortunately it won't, and won't rid peoples ignorance either.

But start adding these leaks together and you might end up with something capable of giving humanity a really good shake. And oh boy... people really need a good shake to wake up and realize that these things shouldn't be happening.

Nature is paying the price for our pathetic existence. Not to mention that we drain this stuff from the underground without even knowing the real consequences on the long run.

But you're right ignorance will continue and people will continue to think these leaks are ok just because they aren't enough to extinguish human life on Earth.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It's in the middle of the rest of the world????

What isn't??

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I did a little research and someone is feeding a little BS.

In May 1971 the Nigerian federal government, then under the control of General Yakubu Gowon, nationalized the oil industry by creating the Nigerian National Oil Corporation via a decree. Following the war with Biafra, the government felt it necessary to secure and gain more control over the oil industry. Nationalization of the oil sector was also precipitated by Nigeria's desire to join OPEC, which required that member states acquire 51% stake and become increasingly involved in the oil sector. Although the Nigerian government had maintained involvement in the industry prior to 1971, this was accomplished mainly through business deals on concessions of the foreign firms in operation. The creation of the NNOC made government participation in the industry legally binding. The federal government would continue to consolidate its oil involvement throughout the next several decades.
en.wikipedia.org...

This is a common problem that causes pollution.(in this case oil spills)
In Chile it was copper smelting done by a corrupt government that had nationalized the copper industry.
Later when foreign companies are allowed back in they are then blamed for the polution.
In Nigeria it was oil spills caused by a corrupt government.

Now its being blamed on the oil companies by people whonever checked the history of oil drilling in Nigeria.
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation still owns much of the old production wells and there pipelines.
These are old corroded pipelines that leak corrosion of pipelines and tanks (accounts for 50% of all spills)sabotage (28%)and oil production operations (21%)
this is not caused by foreign oil companies.
but by Nigerias OWN OIL COMPANY

then you have the thieves that tap the oil lines and BUNKER oil.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
just because some place in Nigeria lasted 50 years of an oil spill (not really coz everything in the vicinity is dead.) doesn't mean the BP spill is not a catastrophic event....

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Isn't it a little too convenient that this article suddenly comes out now?

I think we need to STOP accepting every article at face value and really scrutinize these "news stories".

This story seems to be circulating and it's origins appear dubious. Also the story does not show a by-line of it's author!

There is too much missing information to accept this story as credible. The links to NY Times all show "page not found."

I think we need to investigate the journalists who are involved in this propaganda as well as the source supposedly "publishing" these sudden news events!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
www.unesco.kz...
www.rferl.org...
Also look here for more oil damage . Black gold is leaking everywhere ,at least the Gulf spill made us see what else is going on .

[edit on 17-6-2010 by 12voltz]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

I find it odd that Nigerians are still not fighting their rulers.

Heck there is so much wealth in Nigeria but people are still going to UN camps for medical treatment.

The problem could be external forces who want the oil and do not want the current government of Nigeria to go away.

Seriously though, 50 years of oil spill, zzzz, I guess what goes around comes around is true, I guess America will feel the same wrath it has been ignoring and suppressing. The same wrath that has been in existence on 3rd world countries whose wealth is being stolen and small portion distributed among the corrupt, because it is only the corrupt which would allow their resources to be stolen, and allow unending suffering.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The point is: Oil spills occur both ON-shore and OFF-shore. So we shouldn't be surprised that corruption surrounding OIL has been around for a LONG time. And the latest oil in water in the Gulf of Mexico is yet another example of how corrupt BOTH government and oil companies continue to pollute, not for food, but for PROFIT!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

I think we need to STOP accepting every article at face value and really scrutinize these "news stories".

This story seems to be circulating and it's origins appear dubious. Also the story does not show a by-line of it's author!

There is too much missing information to accept this story as credible. The links to NY Times all show "page not found."

I think we need to investigate the journalists who are involved in this propaganda as well as the source supposedly "publishing" these sudden news events!

Are you saying there is no oil leak in Nigeria?..........It's not "convenient" ....it's relevant!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
yeah and the americans thinks the world is going to end so soon

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlyer96
I think I know why this was neglected - in the U.S they only care about what happens in their hemisphere - not about what happens in the rest of the world. look at the chile and Haiti earthquakes, they made such a big deal about Haiti, yet when the chile earthquake happens it was only on the news for about 2 days

Common sense would tell you that Haiti is a country with the poorest of people and almost no infrastructure. Chile, on the other hand, is not a poor country and have not only the infrastructure, but the building codes and money to get over the crisis. By the way, we have helped Chile with whatever they requested. www.america.gov...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleSecret

hardly a sudden event , Usa chose not to publicize it thats all , didnt happen in the american medias back yard , and was committed by us corporations , lots of people knew about this ,,so when will the US companies set up a 20 billion fund ro recompense the nijerians?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

Originally posted by Alethea

Are you saying there is no oil leak in Nigeria?..........It's not "convenient" ....it's relevant!

You are absolutely putting words in my mouth. However, if you read the post above mine, written by ANNED, you will see that her research discredits the article as well and her info has detail that shows how the author of that propaganda article has given a lot of misinformation. Whether the journalist is misleading others deliberately and the untruths are intentional, I don't know.

I am saying that "An Agenda" is being promoted here with all of this sudden publicity and it's intentions are to sway the masses.

I am saying that we really need to VALIDATE the sources and CREDENTIALS of the information we accept. Look beyond the story being presented and ask "who" has a vested interest in promoting the information.

Also, I would suggest that people read and consider the comments of others before giving a knee-jerk response to the OP. Sometimes, we need to research the information in these articles for bias and untruths. There are also journalists and publications who are not only members of secret societies, but also some who have been "bought out" to do the bidding of various corporations.

Articles presented may "appear" to be "on the side of the little people and the common man"....and many are deceived in believing that they are speaking for the masses. This is how politicians have always been elected---by how well their platform can identify them with the masses. It's an old parlor trick and people still cannot seem to see through it.

What you are seeing is the Hegelian dialect in motion. A catalyst is used to set people in motion and then the masses are taken by the hand and directed toward the resolution which has already been decided.

Do we need an alternative energy source? Yes. Has a cleaner energy source always been available? Yes. Have these things been supressed and silenced in the past? Yes.

So why the change now...when other energy sources could have been made available all along?

There is still a man behind the curtain.

The corporate institution of religious alliances have all the wealth and power. Religions own the schools and the universities. They own the hospitals. They own the large corporations through their stock portfolios. Religions direct governments and buy politicians. Religions institute the laws.

When the masses are sufficiently angry with corporate rape of the globe and fed up with lame governments, then guess who will step up to the plate to be the Savior of the World? The very one who has been behind the destruction will now get a new face. Think Stockholm Syndrome.

If you do a little research, you will find that Religion is behind the Green Movement. It will appear to be a good thing. All will be fixed. A thousand years of peace to come and a big clean up. Religion has to change it's mission because the lies and the control have been falling apart and it has reached a tipping point where religion has lost it's control over people. Too many have seen the sham.

But what the masses are not seeing yet, is that there is a plan in place to restore the control of corporate religion. The masses are being guided to the Green Pastures.

Dig deeper to scrutinize the information you receive. Ask yourself "who has a vested interest" in promoting the information? Why are you being bombarded with information that focuses on certain corporations or individuals---is it a distraction so you won't see what is in the other hand coming in to play? Is it so you will think YOU decided the resolution for yourself?

I would be very leery of an article promoted as "factual investigative journalism" that does not have an author's by-line. Also, if something of this magnitude were true, it would not consistently come up "page not found". And furthermore, we need to check the credentials of both the writers and publications to find out whose "pocket" they are in. Many who are in the limelight did not get there by being honest and unbiased.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Look it up eleswher , Nijeria oil spill, Its been all over world media just usa media ignore it bud , itas hardly a new story , but All oil companies are Now going to be looked at very sternly , it is very right that this story is aired now , judging by the self serving indignation coming from usa re the gulf

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Whats the big deal ? the La Brea' Tar pits have been oozing oil for thousands/millions of years and the Earth still goes round and round .

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Nigeria is very wealthy and having an economic boom with growth in the 10% range. They own the State owned oil company. Any problems are the direct result of actions by the Nigerian Government. I believe sabotage and government apathy are the cause of that mess.

If the NYT somehow related it to the Gulf, it is political. They are pulling out all stops, honesty and accuracy be damned, to push the Cap and Trade agenda. Why should a bankrupt newspaper give a damn if the politics they support bankrupts anyone else?

Obama's little helpers are in full gear, expect to see every negative thing there is about oil over the next few days, suddenly pop up in the print media and on the major networks. NBC, under the direct orders of Obama who now controls the CEO of GE (his adviser) will be in double hyper drive on these issues. Fear is the tool they will use to get that Pandora's Box of a Bill passed.

I'm tempted to think Obama had that well sabotaged himself, but I've not got quite that much tinfoil at the moment.

We most certainly need to tear every article to bits and look under every rock to avoid being duped.

The carrot on the stick in front of us is Big Bad Oil; the hand in the pocket is hiding the new energy legislation carrying the toxic load.

[edit on 6/17/2010 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Finally... a voice of reason. I have a relative that worked in Nigeria for a few years. Sabotage was a huge problem. People would DRILL INTO THE PIPELINES and try to steal oil. Often there would be a fire that would kill the perpetrator.

A lot of those images looked more like rainwater around a well head. Yes there was a little dead vegetation but apparently the bulk of the people that put a post on this thread have never been to a production facility in the US otherwise they could see that a lot of the images are taken with intent to inflame.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join