It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil makes its way to Florida keys

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

According to this CBS4 report, shrimpers left the Key West area by May 25.

This is precisely the time that “about 12 miles north of Dry Tortugas, the crew on the Mattie Fay hauled up their shrimp catch and got oil,” according to a May 24 report in the Naples Daily News.

“Tar balls were tangled in their nets with the shrimp. There was tar on the shrimp, tar on their boots, tar on their gloves.”

The boat’s captain said, “Now, we’re leaving. I seen the sign of that tar out there the other day and I don’t want to get trapped.”

Apparently the other shrimpers saw the signs as well. Source

The gift that keeps on giving. Now that the oil is reaching the Florida Straits we know it won't be long before it flows into the Atlantic and up to the Sargasso Sea. Maybe the rest of the world will start to realize that this isn't just another oil spill.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I saw the news yesterday night in the weather channel, Destin Florida and another area has been closed to tourist due to the oil already coming to shore. . .

Also the businesses in the coast that serve tourism has gotten about a 65% cancellations for the season.

But what can you expect oil is going to come to shore as long as the leak is still open.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I did not hear this on May 24. Seems we are certainly slow to get the news. Like....3 weeks after the fact?

Odd that the oil should be all the way down to the Keys by now and just two weeks ago Jimmy Buffet was making a public announcement that "the sky is not falling" and was promoting his new hotel on the Gulf beach.

Certainly makes you wonder why we get so much conflicting information! The liars should be exposed and run out of town on a rail!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
A lot of people seem to be ignoring this issue, this is a very serious situation for all those who are losing the right to earn a living..I hope you people in the U.S are well compensated...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
It's really sad. I said on my posts a feww weeks ago that this would be happening, ...I knew it would. But it still feels like a gut punch....

This will end up being one of those points in history that is marked world wide...kinda like before and after WWII.... or pre 9/11 or post 9/11..... a sad demarcation of time.

When it enters the Gulf stream and these tarballs make their way into the barrier islands of the South East, into the Cheasapeak Bay, and all the way up to Nova Scotia...the world will finally realize how big and horrible this event is.
Maybe evn Iceland...Ireland?

The prime fishing grounds along the Atlantic Basin will be ruined for generations.

I always wondered what it meant in the Bible when it spoke of a 3rd of the fishes and a 3rd of the oceans would die.....

Now I know.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Darkelf, thank you for creating this thread.
We are being kept in the dark, it really sucks that they feel the need to keep so much of this as secretitive as possible.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I am sick of hearing the term "oil spill".

Its not a damn oil spill, its an LEAK, BROKEN FAUCET, BAD PLUMBING,
Just not spill.

that irritates me just for the sole reason of it being a way to downplay what it really is.

My nephew spills his drink on rug, no problem, I can clean that up., but when nephew leaves faucet on all night flooding the house, thats when you call the handy man(or in BPs case the oil drillers).

get the word Spill out of your minds. Thanks.

sorry for the rant.

a little more on topic-

Florida is doomed. As well as the rest of the eastern shoreline soon enough.

Thank Your Father kids.. "Thanks Dad!"

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Going to need a lot more money than 20 Billion

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

I don't think lots of people are ignoring the issue but what can we do? Short of flying there and helping clean up, there's really not a whole lot anyone can do about it.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

You damn right. This is a gusher to say the least! Florida is doomed, I'm not sure what decisions to make at the moment because we aren't being told everything.

Oops, I didn't mean to sound like doom and gloom
Im just sick and tired of the leaders of our country and the leaders of the state and the leaders of BP keeping everything hidden from the public.
I work two jobs and it's hard to get away but I will soon make the time to physically go to the beaches to see what I can see for myself. To see if there are media blackouts there too.

Peace

[edit on 17-6-2010 by sweetliberty]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I live int he region...news is saying here no oil will come to our shores in central/southern west Florida. I do not know if they are trying to contain panic...or if the gulf stream will take the oil elsewhere. People here are not talking about it, not doing anything about it and basically living life as normal.

There are few municipal meetings for the public about it...but generally speaking if we are int he stages of grief, my area is in Denial.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The US Navy has had submarines monitoring a huge glob of oil headed towards the Keys for at least a month.

FEMA and Corps of Engineers employees are upset that the White House and the Pentagon remain tight-lipped and in cover-up mode about the images of the massive and fast-moving frozen coagulated oil blob that is being imaged by Navy submarines that are tracking its movement.

oilprice.com...

Soon, the oil will be showing up in Miami, Jacksonville, and even the Bahamas.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

Originally posted by union_jack
A lot of people seem to be ignoring this issue, this is a very serious situation for all those who are losing the right to earn a living..I hope you people in the U.S are well compensated...

I'm not sure that any amount of compensation is going to be enough. It's like trying to give money to a greiving parent to compensate for the loss of their child. Money won't bring the child back and it won't bring our eco-systems back. Not only do we not know how long this is going to last, but we don't know the projected extent of the damage. Not to mention how long it will take our planet to heal from this infection. This may be devastaing to the coastal economies for years.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I feel really insulted that BP and our Govt are not being forthright with us. Please do they think we're all stupid? I know some people live in their own world and think this oil disaster wont affect them......but most people are very concerned. I have felt lied to thru this whole thing.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Well you don't get to hear more because already the developers along the coast of Florida and the tourism profiteers are lining up to the billion give away from BP.

Then as long as the profiteers get their money for their loses screw the coast of Florida.

See If I get my money what should I care what the coast look like.

Now I am sure that some very loving Floridians are doing what they can on their own to protect their beautiful beaches but when it comes to corporate America and the tourism industry is all about money and pay outs.

Sad, but coming from an Island myself with beautiful beaches I can not dare to imagine any of the beaches in my beautiful Island becoming polluted and death.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I want to cry. Remembering the wonderful times I had flyfishing for Bones on the flats in the keys. Gone.

I predict that this disaster will eventually affect the worlds food supply.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
TALLAHASSEE, Fla- The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is temporarily closing off a portion of coastal state waters offshore of Escambia County to the harvest of saltwater fish, crabs and shrimp.

www.naplesnews.org...

NEW ORLEANS — Fishing has been banned in more waters off Florida because of the creeping oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration will close an additional 565 square miles to fishermen near Panama City, Fla., starting Saturday evening.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Florida Panhandle's first closure due to oil in water

www.wtsp.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

As I look at the pictures of the beaches, I also feel like crying, I grew up around salt water and white sandy beaches, even when now I sometimes feel the need to dip my foot in the sand I don't look forward as much.

But seen such beauty going to waste just make my hart ache. . .

[edit on 17-6-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
When the oil enters the Atlantic Ocean, it will pollute the east coast of the U.S. atleast up to North Carolina. It will also enter the Sargasso Sea which will be a another disaster to the fishing industry.

While the Sargasso Sea is primarily unique for being the center of distribution (Conover and Sieburth 1964) of Sargassum drift algae, it is also important as a spawning site and migratory route for several species. The deep waters of the Sargasso Sea provide critical spawning sites for two species of catadromous eels, the American eel Anguilla rostrata and the Red-listed critically endangered European eel A. anguilla. The larvae of both species will drift, develop and swim in the Gulf Stream back to their respective freshwater habitats. As adults, each species of eel will migrate back to the Sargasso Sea to spawn. Populations of both these species are in decline and research shows a potential link to changes in the oceanic conditions of the Sargasso Sea (Friedland et al. 2007). Also spawning within these waters are dolphinfish (Coryphaena hippurus), jack fish, and the white marlin (Tetrapturus albidus). Source

This is not just a Gulf Coast event. I don't think they can stop this. I truley hope I am wrong! This is unlike anything I have ever experienced.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

While we concentrate on the monetary aspect of the oil disaster, we tend to forget that is also an entire ecosystem that will be lost amid the oil.

Thanks for that post, let not forget what is not only money what we will be losing in all this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join