It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most horrifying Oil Spill pic yet

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

This photo should win 'photo of the year'.... it shows close up exactly what a wave brings in on it... and it's pretty disgusting!!

How long will this be going on?

Will the Oceans ever be clean again?

I don't think so....

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
That makes me thirsty!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Ok guys, im just joking, dont get your panties in a wad. I really do think this is very horrible!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Welcome to the future, such as it is.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This picture is literally worth a thousand words.

I can't believe it's real. If that's how it really is, then we're screwed...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I find this one scary, because even though I do not believe the antichrist is among us now, the book of revelations states: That water will turn blood red.

Anyone else find that disturbing? Everything is falling into place.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

You can google oil spill.

I found that same one when i looked for oil spill in images.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
What are you people so upset about? This is really no big deal (say many ATS corporate minions) and I think we actually owe BP and apology (said the GOP in the hearings today, and Rush Limbaugh). I mean really folks, it's just like the GOP Miss Governor Haley Barbor says; "This is just like caramel Mousse"...just a little sheen...come on down play some golf, eat some seafood, and spend taxes dollars here (I KID YOU NOT!).

[edit on 17-6-2010 by whatsup]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by elfulanozutan0

Okay, so I have a question. And I was going to make its own post for the question, but wasn't sure if I could or really how I go about doing that. My question is...does the amount of oil have anything to do with the heat we are feeling right now in the south? Yes..I know its summer, I'm well aware of that. But I was looking at photos of me and my girls outside playing last summer..at the park, at the pool...etc....right now..its so hot we can't even breath outside. We live in Ga, 30 minutes north of Atlanta. I've lived here now for 15 years and I can honestly say I don't ever remember the heat feeling the way it feels right now. It says we are at 96, but its not just the heat...its this thick air..it feels so thick and literally you can only be outside for a few minutes at most before it feels like you cannot breath. Just wondering if this is a weather system deal? or oil or even solar flares? or is it normal? I don't remember this ever being "normal" but then I've never done any weather tracking. I just know that this is the first summer that we can't seem to handle the heat. Also another thing....in the spring here...normally in April and May as the cold weather fully moves out and the warm weather moves in...we get storms..big storms...severe thunder storms...with wind, rain, tornados. I've lived in Ga for 15 years, and in the area of Ga we live now for 10...10 years and we have never failed to at least have one tornado come through in the spring. We are actually called Tornado alley here in Ga. This year? no rain, no thunderstorms, they keep saying we will get them, and dark clouds do move in...where it looks like the bottom will drop out any minute, and then? blip..nothing..no water, no rain, some lightening, some wind, but other than that..nothing..this IS very unusual and NOT normal...but again, I'm not a scientist nor meteorologist, so thats why I ask my question here..can the oil have any effect on this?

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Nkinga]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
That is horrifying to the max,
to sea the gulf is such a state
makes me want to junk my car and
ride a horse, but then there is the horse #,
so I guess for now I will have to keep my car.

I get 24 to 27 miles to the gallon but if the government
wanted to really make a difference in this addiction to oil
they would give each legal american the choose, trade in the
old gas car for a new hybrid or full electric at no charge, or
pay a massive tax to keep the gas consuming machine.
I would trade my Rev4, in a heart beat to get a full electric
and so sleep the sleep of the saints after.
hugs to all
RR

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by KittyKat666

and while that would be great and I'd do it in a heartbeat, the problem is that everything comes from oil...so what to do about those items? Gas to heat homes, computers, tvs, even the shoes on our feet, oil is in everything. how do we fix that?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Nkinga

also, we keep getting air quality alerts..now normally we've gotten pollen count alerts for those with asthma and chronic lung problems but I think..not totally sure, this is the first time we have gotten "air quality" alerts ..here is what it says specifically:

THE GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES... ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION DIVISION HAS ISSUED A CODE ORANGE (UNHEALTHY FOR SENSITIVE GROUPS) AIR QUALITY ALERT FOR ATLANTA

UNDER CODE ORANGE CONDITIONS... THE OUTDOOR AIR IS LIKELY TO BE UNHEALTHY FOR SOME PEOPLE. CHILDREN... PEOPLE WHO ARE SENSITIVE TO OZONE... AND PEOPLE WITH HEART OR LUNG DISEASE SHOULD LIMIT PROLONGED OUTDOOR EXERTION DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON OR EARLY EVENING WHEN OZONE CONCENTRATIONS ARE HIGHEST.

So what exactly does this mean? I'm sure its probably just normal weather conditions? but as I said..we've lived in Ga for 15 years, my children their whole lives, this is the first time we've been unable to handle the heat outside for a short length of time...its just this really thick thick air, like..when you open a car door? in the summer? and its really hot at first when you sit inside until you get the windows down and the air going? thats exactly what its like when you open up the door to go outside. And if you stand outside for a length of time, thats what it feels like, except obviously there are no windows to roll down, it just stays that way. My windows were cracked today and when we got in the car to go to the grocery store, the temp inside the car stated it was 115.., now, one summer, we had some really hot days and I remember being astonished and getting my camera to take a picture because the reading read 105..thats the hottest it has gotten in the car before 105 and that was 2 years ago...today it read 115, my other huge concern is they were saying that this oil on the beaches when it gets on the animals, its hot, very hot, and we all know how oil absorbs the heat and holds it, its literally cooking the animals..so if its this hot here in Ga...whether naturally or as a result of the oil, the fact is, its way hotter in the Gulf so I can't even imagine what those animals are feeling.

Well just for some examples
on what I mean with the weather. We are under a severe thunderstorm warning right now, and our whole sky is black with storm clouds, if you go to weather.com and put in for woodstock ga, you will see that we have a weather system right over us, however? no rain..theres wind, and theres lightening, and some thunder but there is no rain coming down.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This is the second thread started over that photo!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And besides the ones with the birds trapped UNDERNEATH actual blobs of oil are far worse.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Just to make sure we are clear, other than the clumps of brown/black, and the splotches of red, that brown colored water is normal in the Gulf. That is why i don't go there to swim. It is the dirtiest water ever. Sure, it is warm and all....but i never liked the muddy waters of the 3rd Coast.

To put it in perspective, that brown colored water is the same color as the water that we have in our faucets in this municipality. Cryptosporidia is not considered dangerous in these levels, nor is the "turbidity". But it smells like the lake, tastes like my butt, and streaks anything you "wash" with it. And it passes TCEQ standards. We are in West Texas, about 10 hours from the Gulf, so there is no connection. Only pointing out that water doesn't have to sparkle to be "clean".

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalisdad

Originally posted by alaskan
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2c6c32bb0b40.jpg[/atsimg]
Not to be a jerk, but how is an image of a tiny, still-translucent wave with blue water in the background "the most horrifying" image you've seen on here when things like these have been up for weeks?

that "blue water in the background" is in fact the sky.

and there is nothing to show the scale of this wave... it could be 7 inches high, it could be 4 feet.

Are you kidding me? You can see individual drops of water falling off the crest to gauge how big it is, along with other shapes/features that small waves have and big ones don't.

The camera is clearly looking down on the wave, and the sky is UP, not down...
Sure it's the blue sky reflecting off of the water, but notice it's reflecting off of WATER, not sheening off of oil?

You people are ridiculous.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by alaskan]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

what?
I live here and Orange Beach has blue/green waters. It's close to Pensacola which his really blue waters.
Muddy? are you kidding me?.. you must be thinking of the far end of the island where fresh and salt water meet, but otherwise what you say isn't true..

here's an aerial for you..

b

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Haha - damn. I was just loading up a close-up shot of the wave, and writing up a response when I came back to this thread after; you beat me to it as I was going to say exactly that. I think that guy even suggested the wave was up to 7ft before...

Well, since I went to the bother of doing a response and cropping the photo, I will post a longer version of what you just confirmed anyhow, in a few minutes.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
Eat your heart out ATS.

Not to be a jerk, but how is an image of a tiny, still-translucent wave with blue water in the background "the most horrifying" image you've seen on here when things like these have been up for weeks?

that "blue water in the background" is in fact the sky...

and there is nothing to show the scale of this wave... it could be 7 inches high, it could be 4 feet.

either way, it's 90 miles from the main leak where things are most definately alot worse

[edit on 17-6-2010 by kalisdad]

Just repeating what Alaskan said pretty much as I thought kalisdad was joking at first when he said that was sky in the background, and the wave could be up to 4ft.

No, that guy is perfectly correct, the wave is tiny. And there is plenty to confirm this – although it seems a bit silly focusing on the size of the wave when the oil leak is the real issue, but this site is about denying ignorance however.

There is no way in the world the background is the sky. Look at the angle of view, the photographer is looking down, as is obvious from flat water in the foreground, and that you can see the top of the wave. To get the sky in view, he would have had to be lying at ocean-level to get that much detail in the wave. Open the OP link, you will see much more detail, and common sense will tell you that is flat, glassy water in the background.

Second, open the OP link and you can clearly see much more detail compared to the photo posted. You can see drops – clearly droplets – of water coming from the wave, as posted below. Drops of water are typically 1mm, let’s say up to 3mm. If we take one of the drops and give it a very generous 3mm size, from the photo you can estimate the wave to be about 255mm high. Less then a foot.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac3f4af37941.jpg[/atsimg]

You can also tell the photographer is using a regular 50mm lense, the idea being to get as close to the water and pick up the details of the oil. Standing back afar would defy the purpose, unless he wanted to get a scaled picture of the greater destruction. So it’s a close-up, 100%, and the photographer has gotten as close as he can to capture this tiny shorebreak in an effort to pick up the detail of the oil.

If there was any sort of real swell running, the water would be churned up more by constantly breaking surf, ebbing and flowing on the shore. The conditions in the pic are ultra glassy, even where the wave is breaking is still ultra glassy, which suggest even this is even just a wake of a boat breaking. No more than a foot max. Anyway, glad you revised your top-end suggestion that it could be 7ft down, but if you still think it could be 4 foot, but if this is not enough to convince you, I can show you plenty of swell data to show you there has been no swell 4ft-7ft around Alabama in the past couple of months.

In fact, April / May / June are among the worst seasonal months for any sort of surfable waves in the gulf at all, and are typically windwaves generated by onshore winds, if surfable at all. The millpond OP picture has zero wind.

Actually the average swell height from Alabama Point, for example, in May is less than 1ft, likewise in April, according to data I just looked up. The wave is a generous 1ft, but most probably 7 to 10 inches.

edit: sorry I didn't mean to write you said 7ft, I read your post last night and so in my mind I though you said 7inch to 7ft. But even 4ft is way too much.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by cloudbreak]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
And yet people with their head in the sand still continue to say "it's not a big deal".

It is a HUGE deal and the worst effects may come months and years down the line.

g

People always seem to be in the 'now' and never take the long term into consideration. How will millions upon millions of gallons of oil in the ocean affect weather and climate? How will it affect wildlife and overall environment? How will it affect the economy and individual livelihood? How will this oil spill affect the future of regional relations with our nearest neighbors?

These considerations are never made by the general public, and it is a sad state of affairs.

Edit:

The picture made me gag.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Lunatic Pandora]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Amazing. Not in a good way.

This is terrible, the way this is unfolding.

It's like something you'd see in a sci-fi movie in another universe.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2c6c32bb0b40.jpg[/atsimg]

that "blue water in the background" is in fact the sky.

Are you kidding me? You can see individual drops of water falling off the crest to gauge how big it is, along with other shapes/features that small waves have and big ones don't.

The camera is clearly looking down on the wave, and the sky is UP, not down...
Sure it's the blue sky reflecting off of the water, but notice it's reflecting off of WATER, not sheening off of oil?

You people are ridiculous.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by alaskan]

So What? I don't care if the wave is only 1" high. It tells of a very disturbing situation.

[edit on 6/18/2010 by dubiousone]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join