It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calderon Assures Drug War Going Well, Many Mexicans Disbelieve

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Article

All this in less than a week, yet President Felipe Calderon believes Mexico is getting a bad rap and wants to hire a public relations firm to improve its image. He might want to start with convincing his own countrymen, who are frustrated by assurances that the drug war is going well.

"No matter how much the authorities want us to believe that they are winning this fight, the reality and the perception is that, on the contrary, it's a lost battle," said Miguel Jimenez, 21, a student in Morelia, the capital of Calderon's drug-plagued home state of Michoacan. "Day after day, it's demonstrated with the increasing violence."

He acknowledged violence has surged — often claiming innocent lives — but insisted it was a war worth fighting and that things are going as planned.

But others are tired of hearing the same arguments from the president and seeing little difference on the ground.

The problem is the sacrifice is proving too much for many Mexicans who get caught in the crossfire.

My personal belief is that the drug war is a failure in Mexico. The president is assuring the people the war is going as planned, but theres over 23,000 people dead in the last few years. The violence is increasing, and what good has came out of this?

I dont believe this is a war worth fighting for, but Calderon disagrees. "yet President Felipe Calderon believes Mexico is getting a bad rap and wants to hire a public relations firm to improve its image"....of course its getting a bad rap.....people are dieing in the streets almost everyday! Hiring a public relations firm wont help, the people on the ground will still see the same bloodshed.

Edit - Another link with more information on Caderon's public realtions firm - Link

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican President Felipe Calderon is launching a global public relations campaign to try to improve his country's image and neutralise coverage of the violent drug war scaring away tourists and foreign investors.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
From reports I have seen, the US also thinks the war is going well.

As a matter of fact, they say the increase measure the cartels are taking (violence) is a sign of success.

Say the cartels are getting desperate.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I believe some politicians in the US, and Mexico will say the war is going good until the very end. I think why they are saying "increased violence means a success" , is because they know they are losing and dont want to lose pride. They want the people to believe them no matter how many people die.

If the goverment thinks the war is going so well, how come the feds closed part of Arizona's border in 2006?Link

About 3,500 acres of southern Arizona along the Mexican border is closed to U.S. citizens due to increased violence in the region.

The closed off area stretches 80 miles along the border and includes part of the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge. It was closed in October 2006 "due to human safety concerns," the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Wednesday in response to news reports on the closure.

I dont think this war will ever end, unless the politicans call it off. The war is destroying Mexico from the inside. How much money have they spent on the war so far? The violence is already spilling over into the US borders.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Or just getting started!!

We're getting reports almost weekly that these guys are attacking army bases, and inflicting serious casualties!

Like most half hearted security operations when dealing with something so insidious and chronic as this. it's all or nothing. there is no middle ground.

Unfortunately Calderon, as much as I agree with his stance, does not have the resources at his disposal.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Sure the war is going well, the war on the population. The war to bring drugs into our nation. The drugs are flowing in.

When drugs stop flowing in, than I will start listening to these idiots.

I mean look at Afghanistan and the super increases in poppy fields there. It's absurd to think these guys can stop drugs with their asinine policies.

In fact I would argue these governments are colluding together and RUNNING the drug trade secretly while at the same time pretending they are against it.

"Drug war going well".

This must mean
1) They think seeing tons of people dying daily = Success
2) More drugs being sold every day = Success

Reading between the lines here is super easy. These governments have their hands so dirty in this, it's silly.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

If the goverment thinks the war is going so well, how come the feds closed part of Arizona's border in 2006?Link

reply to post by muzzleflash

Reading between the lines here is super easy. These governments have their hands so dirty in this, it's silly.

Closed land because it is dangerous. Of course, part of the reason is because the Department of Interior doesn't allow border patrol on their land.

Maybe this is one of the ways the governments get their hands so dirty.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I did some searching and found a more in-depth article about Calderon's public relations firm thingy hes trying to do. Article

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican President Felipe Calderon is launching a global public relations campaign to try to improve his country's image and neutralise coverage of the violent drug war scaring away tourists and foreign investors.

The strategy has so far failed to curb violence and more than 23,000 people have died in drug violence over the past 3-1/2 years. Daily images of gruesome decapitations, charred and tortured bodies hung from bridges and brazen daytime shootouts are commonplace on the front pages of newspapers and evening news broadcasts.

"Yes, we will explain the problems we have, but also how we are facing them. Above all we want to show what our country has to offer, which is a lot," Calderon said.

"But the reality is, businessmen are still seeing people decapitated every day, ambushes ... that can't be solved by an advertising campaign," Buscaglia said.

Im guessing he needs the tourism money, altough kidnappings/murders/robberies seem to happen alot to tourists, and the local population.

"neutralise coverage of the violent drug war" .....It looks like he dosent want anyone else to see whats really going on in his country. If the war is going so well, why neutralise the coverage of it? I believe he just cannot even imagine losing his pride, and all the resources already put into the war.

People wont forget the decapitations/kidnappings/ambushes that happen all the time in their cities, even if the goverment succesfully neutralises the coverage. People dont forget too easily if it happens right in their back yards.

new topics

top topics

join