It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planes Can Control the Weather, Say Scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Planes Can Control the Weather, Say Scientists

www.foxnews.com

A few years ago scientists were surprised by the sight of two planes carving a hole through a cloud—which then began spewing snow.

A new study spawned by the accidental discovery solves the mystery behind so-called hole-punch clouds and explains how airplanes can change the weather, at least on an extremely local level.

Scientists have studied hole-punch clouds since the 1940s and have long suspected that planes play a role in their formation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The picture in the article is pretty amazing. I saw this article and thought of all of the "what is that plane spraying" posts. Though this is not related, maybe, it does show how planes make a difference in climate and weather formation.

"Because the water in these clouds is so pure—with no particles around which vapor can condense and freeze—the droplets remain liquid down to minus 35 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 34 degrees C). If the cloud gets much colder, though, they freeze into ice particles that can produce rain or snow."

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/16/2010 by axiomuser]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by axiomuser

Well...the article is a good read (if they will bother to) for the so-called "chemtrail" crowd.

The idea of "super-cooled" water droplets isn't anything new...pilots and meteorologists have long understood the concept.

The article is a bit distracting with the comment about "no nucleus" for the super-cooled liquid water to form around...dependiing on conditions, the water vapor can condense out, around a 'particle'....BUT, when remained undisturbed, will remain liquid even beow the normal freezing temperature.

Of course, nothing in Nature is totally absolute, and the dynamic processes should be understood...

But, the existence of "super-cooled" liquid water, in weather, storms, and so forth, is well known. One way thast hail forms, and grows to such large size (on occasion). Another reason for inflight iciing ('clear' ice)...as opposed to rime icing, that airplanes encounter.

("CLEAR" ice...more insidious, in a way...heavier generally, BUT it tends to conform to the wing planform, so is less disruptive to 'smooth' airflow over lifting surfaces...as opposed to 'rime' ice...rough, bumpy, like hoar frost. Lighter, as filled with more air...BUT, very disruptive to smooth airflow. These icing hazards are more associated with smaller airpalnes, rather than larger commercial passenger jets -- because of anti-icing technology usually employed).

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The process that drives the formation, from whatever source, is the Bergeron process. Here's the wiki:

en.wikipedia.org...

Nature and physics at work. Gotta love it.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

"Bergeron"??? Loved him on "Hollywood Squares"!!!

Oh....but, I guess you're speaking of that OTHER guy....the one without his own TV show? Pfffft!!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
More proof of cloud seeding, weather modification, harp, and chem-trails here folks.

Don't close your eyes or you may miss it!!!!111one.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Could we use this to slow the storms on jupiter or cool venus down,Even create oxigen on mars.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by leejones]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
If there ever was a time to use weather modification in the States the time is now. Wouldn't it be nice to look back at the 2010 Gulf Hurricane season and see not one Hurricane in the gulf? But, I guess I'm in the dark like everyone else when it comes to theories on what a Hurricane is going to do regarding the Oil spill. Will a Hurricane pick up the oil and disperse it, or widen the disaster to include a swath of states in its path?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
More proof of cloud seeding, weather modification, harp, and chem-trails here folks.

Don't close your eyes or you may miss it!!!!111one.

I agree. More natural explanations for unnatural clouds.

Disgusting propaganda.

We've had planes around for 100 yrs. Hole punch clouds were named in 2002-2003

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04fcbbdb050d.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c170d8ef40d3.jpg[/atsimg]

Visit link for picture of this extremely rare hole punch cloud, in 2004
news.google.com...,560350&dq=hole+punch+clouds&hl=en

Hole punch cloud

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by OurskiesRpoisoned

How, how sad is it that you either did NOT read the article...or, IF you did, didn't comprehend what it meant?

MUCH of the article's story mentioned the effects left behind by TURBOPROP airplanes!!!

Now, I understand that to the layperson, they might ask "HUH? What is the difference??"

Well...the "difference" is well-known to experienced pilots (or even anyone involved, and educated, in aviation).

An airplane powered by "turbo-props" is very, very different from an airplane that is defined as a "turbo-jet"....

SO....this is yet again, a definition of continued ignorance. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's the truth.

[edit on 16 June 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I posted the article because the picture attracted my eye. But, the thing that I keep thinking about is the Butterfly Effect.

The butterfly effect is a metaphor that encapsulates the concept of sensitive dependence on initial conditions in chaos theory; namely that small differences in the initial condition of a dynamical system may produce large variations in the long term behavior of the system.

Wiki Link about Butterfly Effect

Essentially my thinking is this. Whether by design or circumstance, if the distortion in weather is caused by an unnatural force, a plane, and creates rain/snow in an area that it shouldn't have been caused, then where does it take it from.

Could the air traffic that crowds the skies in the 1st world nations create famine and drought across the planet? Good dinner table discussion...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0b1de172b667.jpg[/atsimg]
www.nawcinc.com...

Debunk that.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OurskiesRpoisoned

Debunk that.

Gladly.

Easily.

IT IS RIGHT THERE in the description...a "stratus deck" of clouds!!!!

How many times must someone from ATS invite members to actually LEARN a thing or two about meteorology, and cloud types, and everything else that that entails? You do NOT have to become "experts"...just avail yourselves of the wealth of information that is FREELY available, not only online, but at your LOCAL Library! (I highly recommend a visit to your local Library...LOTS of information there if you bother to look).

Seriously....go learn.

ASK your teachers (and I say that, because I suspect it is a bunch of young, and under-educated people who fall, at first, for this "junk"-science BS, that IS the "chemtrail" nonsense....)

Hopefully, some of these lessons will start to sink in.....

[edit on 16 June 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Sorry weedwhacker, it's so obvious your a shill, I have to put you on ignore.

Buh bye.

new topics

top topics

join