It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Witnesses: Jerusalem man shot at point blank range by Israeli forces (Pictures)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/587f48b3024f.jpg[/atsimg]

WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGE!

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Ma'an - A report conducted by a Jerusalem rights center following the shooting death of a Palestinian man in East Jerusalem on Friday by Israeli border guards suggests he was shot point blank.

Ziad Al-Julani, 38, was shot and killed after he allegedly failed to stop at a checkpoint in the Wadi Joz neighborhood in the occupied part of the city.

According to testimony compiled by the Jerusalem Center for Social and Economic Rights, an initial shot knocked Al-Julani to the floor, after which Israeli Special Forces "fired shots in the face and abdomen at close range."

Source: www.maannews.net...

Just one more fatality in this brutal conflict. Apparently, this guy was shot after he got out of his vehicle and then shot again in the face at point-blank range, both shots being fired only after the man posed no risk at all. Not only was this man shot, but also a nearby child, though the child was only struck with a rubber bullet that managed to lodge inside his neck. "Less than lethal" rubber bullets are a favorite among IDF, though they don't seem to be "less than lethal" when used on children, which happens often. My number one pet peeve is when innocent children get caught up in the violence, violence that shouldn't be happening in the first place. How much more is the world going to put up with Israeli terrorism?

--airspoon

[edit on 16-6-2010 by airspoon]

Edit: Changed Pic to a link.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by intrepid]

MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

[edit on Wed Jun 16 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   

saw Al-Julani running from four members of Israel's Special
Forces, approaching him and opening fire at close range. "Then
I saw one of them come near him and shoot him in the face and
body,"

let me get this straight
he was running away and shot
from behind and then as he lay
there they came up and capped him
in the head and chest. IS that what
this is saying??

Dude !!!
That's murder!!!
If he was already down
and they capped him.
The Israeli soldiers need
to be court martial-ed.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Unfortunately, it's not murder when it's an Israeli killing a Palestinian. This kind of thing happens all of the time. Sad but true.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
this guys death will not get any compassion from me.

cmon, you crash your vehicle into a barricade/checkpoint and not expect soldiers to respond with deadly force? get real...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FuGGer

He didn't crash his vehicle into the baracade, it only says he crashed his vehicle. You don't know if the guy was having medical or auto problems and that's what a court is for, though he surely wouldn't get a fair hearing in an Israeli court.

No, I don't normally expect soldiers to respond with deadly force to a civilian who doesn't pose an immediate threat. Of course this is the IDF, so I don't expect them not to shoot, unfortunately. Even soldiers have laws that they have to abide by and it is an international war crime to fire upon an unarmed civilian that poses no immediate threat.

Normally, soldiers are professional and abide by international laws and conventions.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Others told the center the shooter was seen "dancing beside the body singing and cheering 'I killed an Arab, I killed an Arab'."

Wow.

Really, Israel?

Come on.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
it only SAYS he crashed his vehicle into the security checkpoint?

i see. so with that in mind, how do you know that he has not a crazed terrorist that wanted to mow down soldiers with his vehicle but missed and fled and got shot?

look. even if you had car troubles and crashed into the barricade. why run?
if it were me. id put my hand up and shout dont shoot. the cars brakes are out.

anyone that drives his vehicle into a security barricade and runs will get shot and should not expect any less from soldiers.

it can and will happen anywhere. the us. russia. korea. china. a drug cartel controlled area in south america. it matters not if the shooter is idf and the dead is palestinian.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FuGGer

look. even if you had car troubles and crashed into the barricade. why run?
if it were me. id put my hand up and shout dont shoot. the cars brakes are out.

Yeah, you'd do that if you want to get shot or thrown in some Israeli prison. You have to remember that this guy was Palestinian. Israelis don't take kindly to Palestinians.

It would be like you in Afghanistan, getting stopped by a Taliban checkpoint. Would you run and pray that you got away or would you throw your hands up and pray that they have mercy on you. In fact, you'd probably have a better chance being unharmed as an American being stopped by Taliban.

Too many Palestinians get shot or imprisoned for no reason at all, other than political reasons. If you were Palestinian, lining in Palestine, you'd know that.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
to me. if that guy had sat in his car and tried to convey to the soldier(s) that he had car troubles but was shot nonetheless. i would definitely be screaming bloody murder at the idf.

i know and have come across many instances of the idfs heavy handedness and carelessness towards palestinian lives but imo this is not one of those times.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FuGGer

It did not say he crashed into checkpoint.

"Israeli media reports said the man drove toward border guards setting up in the neighborhood, crashed his pickup truck and fled on foot, at which point he was shot dead".

He may have run because he has seen what the IDF do to people for no good reason...Other than their expected kill ratio, with extra points for women and children....

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
He tried to run them over..
They jumped out of the way, and still one or two (can't remember) of them still got clipped and got injured.

They chased the guy and shot him.
Whether or not they shot him point blank I don't know..
Neither do you, by the way..

The IDF is not the most loved entity in Palestine, people are capable of lying.

That being said- If anything like this had happened, I hope you understand that this kind of thing is unacceptable to 99% of the Israeli soldier and civilian population...

But again, I don't know why it's so easy for you to believe this...
Also, this kind of distortion of the truth, or reporting of unreliable witnesses is what you'll get when you read biased news sources like ma'an....

When your new sources are biased like that, you pretty much know what you're going to get, so why read the news at all?
Just get a peace of paper, write "Israel is the devil" on it, and just keep reading it every day. Make up stories as you go.. It'll be much more fun.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Eliad]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Sorry mate...
Next time I'll check Jpost...
I'm sure they cover this stuff

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

BTW, wheres the link to your info???

I didnt read what you said anywhere...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

You have to remember that this guy was Palestinian. Israelis don't take kindly to Palestinians.

You could distinguish the anecdotal from the universal just once, at some arbitrary point, just once?

In the whole history of this conflict, how many many occasions where Israelis and Palestinians are brothers and sisters. Impossible according to your filter glasses.

You think people are actually capable of forgetting to obsessively label every damn box? I hope so.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
That photo looks kinda fake. Doesn't look right to me.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Eliad, my friend, you registered 1 week ago and writing only in the middle east forum? You know, ATS has a lot of other very interesting parts, where you can share your opinions learn many different things.
Have fun on ATS and not stick only to the ME Forum.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
edit: need to wake up

[edit on 16-6-2010 by illusive man]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

" I hope you understand that this kind of thing is unacceptable to 99% of the Israeli soldier and civilian population... "

So , are you saying that all these atrocities are being committed by only 1% of the 'soldier and civilian population' ?

If the other 99% don't approve of it , then why are they letting 1% get away with it ?

Are 99% cowering down to 1% ?

Please shed some light on this for us .

If those numbers are correct , I think me and some of my redneck friends could go take care of this problem in fairly short order .

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeySEEmonkeyDO
That photo looks kinda fake. Doesn't look right to me.

Yeah, it's not everyday that you see a bullet wound to the face. Unfortunately, it is all too common in the Palestinian territory.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

www.ynetnews.com...

Check ynet.com it's the biggest Israeli newspaper, you'll find that it's mostly impartial regarding political stances, and so on..

Might as well check it from time to time, just to see the other side of things.

reply to post by deccal

Hey

I will probably some day.. Maybe when there's peace in the region

Nah, I'm kidding, I'm sure I'll go visit the rest of ATS eventually.. It's really big though.. Tons of forums..

I'm just really interested in what goes on here, what people think, and why.
I really do think that Israel is getting unfair treatment in the media, and I've opened a thread on it.
And I really do think most people just don't know exactly what goes on here.

But, yeah, I'll get out of here some day

It's just a topic that's close to my heart, you know..

reply to post by okbmd

Look, Israel is never well represented in the media. I've opened a topic www.abovetopsecret.com... trying to explain how I see it from my point of view. It's subjective, but everyone should find a part they can relate to..
The point is that some of these atrocities aren't what they seem. Or what they're made to look like.
Nothing is ever what it seems here.
There is hate, I won't deny it, there is a lot of anger also, on both sides. But in spite of all that IDF soldiers are brainwashed to never use their weapon in an unfitting way- It's called the purity of the weapon and it's taught since the first day you get a gun.
We're also told to disobey orders that are illegal, like killing civilians.
When you're in combat.. Good people sometimes do bad things.. Either on purpose or not, out of fear or out of confusion, it doesn't matter, it always looks the same- Evil Israeli soldiers kill innocent civilians.
When the truth is always different, and always more complex. Have you any idea what's it's like to fight within civilian population? When someone walks out with a white flag and a gun underneath? Fighting an army that fights only using the dirtiest tricks? Never knowing what's going to pop up next from around the corner? Does this person have a weapon? Is he really down or is he waiting for us to get closer? You have no idea the kind of questions that go around in your head.
You're talking about 18-21 year olds... In the heat of battle and amidst confusion sometimes bad calls are made, wrong decisions, sometimes you don't even know you've made the wrong decision, can you put yourself in their shoes for a moment?
And there is evil.. I won't say there isn't.. There are bad people in the army.
But they're not allowed to get away with it- If they're caught, they're punished, and if they're not.. Then that's just what it is.. Non of us are perfect either.. I'm not even trying to say that the rest are saints.. I'm just saying- It's never as simple as it seems, or as it's written, or most of the time as it's photographed, and edited, and shown..

I am Israeli, I am not subjective, there's no reason for you to take my word as the absolute truth. But the truth is somewhere in the middle, between the way I see my country, and the way the media shows it.

Soldiers from a border guard training base were walking single file down the street, these are trainees, who had just turned 18, and have recently finished school, it's probably their first 4-8 months in the army..
A driver sped up in front of them and hit 4 of them.
Was he trying to run them over? Why would he do something like that? What good could possibly come out of it? Why did he run? They wouldn't have shot him down in the street, please trust me on this one, running only made the situation worse.
I don't know the answers to these questions. All I know is that they shouldn't have shot him, they should've let him run. The fact that someone did and killed someone means someone is going to prison. It was a bad call, a really bad call. But does it mean they're all stone cold killers, motivated only by their hate and will to see Palestinian blood on the streets? Can your put yourself in the shoes of that soldier? Barely 19, almost got run over, the guy's running away, can you imagine the confusion?
And whoever it was that fired is going to jail. No doubt about it.

This is the only light I can shed on this matter.

With respect,
Eliad.

P.S- sorry about the long explanation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join