It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmaker tells BP chief to 'commit hara-kiri'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Lawmaker tells BP chief to 'commit hara-kiri'

money.cnn.com

Lawmakers slammed executives from five of the world's largest oil companies. At one point Rep. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., called on Lamar McKay, chairman and president of BP America, to quit his job. Rep. Anh "Joseph" Cao, R-Louisiana went so far as to suggest McKay try a type of ritual suicide.

"Mr. Stearns asked you to resign. In the Asian culture we do things differently. During the Samurai days we just give you a knife and ask you to commit hara-kiri," said Cao, who is of Vietnamese descent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

McKay did not respond to these comments.

This was in a hearing before the House Energy and Environment subcommittee. Did Cao go too far? I think he did. Suicide should never be suggested, even in disgust. If I were McKay, I wouldn't have responded either. I’m not defending McKay but I am calling out Cao’s behavior.

money.cnn.com

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the people involved in this problem take Cao's advice.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I saw that a while ago on a CNN news blip.. And I totally agree with Cao, hara-kiri for all involved with this nightmare would not make me displeased.

Just one gal's opinion...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Why give them the easy option with a knife? a cheese grater is a much better option.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Master Shen long

Considering we are on an Asian theme, why not Chinese water torture but use crude oil instead of water.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

This was in a hearing before the House Energy and Environment subcommittee. Did Cao go too far? I think he did. Suicide should never be suggested, even in disgust. If I were McKay, I wouldn't have responded either. I’m not defending McKay but I am calling out Cao’s behavior.

money.cnn.com

Lol are you taking these words seriously ?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I personally see it as more like the old remark of 'falling on your sword'. Basically he's telling them they need to take full responsibility for the disaster and take whats coming to them (Financial Suicide) for their failure.

Not the best phrase to us I guess but he's right in saying it.

In other words I see no problem and he didn't step over the mark.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

money.cnn.com

How many people has this spill effected?

The words are justified for, the spill has caused massive pollution, destroyed many livelihoods, and the future doesn't look bleak.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Not a chance, I say we build some stocks and put them on public display for a month so we can all beat the living life out of them, then use them as fertiliser.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ickylevel
Lol are you taking these words seriously ?

Yes.. very. We are all extremely pissed at BP but where I, personally, draw the line is suggesting that someone end their life. Why add to the devastation? So you and others can feel somehow "justified"? Would his ending his life accomplish anything? Anything at all? Don't you think that there a whole line of people JUST LIKE HIM right behind him on the ladder????

Just because some of the people at BP don't act like humans doesn't mean that we shouldn't. After all, you are better than him, aren't you?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
I personally see it as more like the old remark of 'falling on your sword'. Basically he's telling them they need to take full responsibility for the disaster and take whats coming to them (Financial Suicide) for their failure.

Not the best phrase to us I guess but he's right in saying it.

In other words I see no problem and he didn't step over the mark.

Now see? That's what I'm after. Thank you.
I hadn't thought of that interpretation, I guess I just assumed that he meant it literally. He could have meant it this way, but then why would he say it as an alternative to resigning?
After all, if the company were to commit financial suicide would they fire him anyway?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

There does need to be some sort of deterrence in place for white collar crime. If an average person went out and sold some drugs, that person could face months in a penitentiary where they would possibly get beaten or raped. When very wealthy people commit crimes that cause billions of dollars worth of losses, they get to spend a few weeks in low security detention facilities.

Maybe their needs to be some harsh deterrent in place. Maybe a death penalty is not in order, but these BP executives should get the same treatment as any other common criminal. Instead of sleeping next to their gorgeous wives in mansions, they should be the whole cell block's wife in the showers!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Well that would require laws in place for them to break, wouldn't it? Our legislators have looked the other way (or been bought) for a loooong time. That's not to say that there isn't a law in place that has been broken but then you would need someone to arrest them, wouldn't you?
Again, people looking the other way while at the same time pointing fingers to keep the heat off of themselves.

I think it's quite safe to say these acts have been criminal. Do you think we'll get to see pictures of these people in orange jumpsuits though? I don't.

new topics

top topics

join