It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No answer for a simple question.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Scientists are human like any other, and being human and having human needs they will go and work on whatever options they have that pays best. And even though they happen to be smart and all. They seem to be easily manipulated by others who wouldn't even begin to understand some of the science involved in the things that are made. So who is the smarter in this instance those who create or those who profit largely from those creations. Though it can go either way and everyone needs to stand up for what they believe is ethical, it ain't going to happen anytime soon and bills need to be paid. So I guess the question should be why does humanity have the habit of playing with things that cause more harm then good. Everybody bitches that in the past religion was used for meaningless wars and all, but science and scientists are not as different as some like to think from the priests that the powers that be tied to there war machines as an excuse to take over others and there resources. If the # was to hit the fan instead of religion in the forefront we will see science. Science ain't above doing bad or doing good things, it's just as resolute to one or the other. The problem lies with humanity in general, science is a tool like any other human creations, that were created for any number of different human goals or ideas or ideals.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Science is a means of understanding things
based on the
PRESUMPTION that it [everything] is comprehendable & follows rules of cause & effect.

Science is not the thing/persons taking reckless, illconsidered actions.

A lot of that is done by psychologically damaged people who desperately want wealth &/or power & sometimes fame.
Actively cynical people who presume that a MINDLESS reflex will automatically be the superior response. [i believe there is active as well as passive cynicism]

People who act in petty, selfish, BLIND ways that ignore the ACTUAL context in which they live & DEPEND on for everything.
People who chop the tree down from the limb they are sitting on so no one else will be able to climb as high as they did.
They ignore our collective selfish interests to their own myopic personal, often twisted petty channeled mental noise.

It isn't the science that is screwing us,
it is our damned inherited genetic instincts.
Psychopathic males & monomaniacal mothers, with their animal instincts propped up by fantastic religious nonsense.

did i manage to insult absolutely everything i brought up? i think so.
Equal Opportunity Badgerer.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by slank]

[edit on 18-6-2010 by slank]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Viewing the thread, it is interesting to ponder on how fiction and popular film have dwelled on the scapegoat of the "evil scientist".

Yet, for social history this has not been the main location or source of evil.
in 1963 Hannah Arendt spoke of the "banality of evil" while reporting on the Eichman trial. en.wikipedia.org...
The true face of evil is the boring, common bureaucrat.
The average person who only did as he was told and became a tiny, vital cog in an evil system - often through noble characteristics like obedience, work ethic and loyalty.

So some scientists may be bad (as opposed to the methodology of science), but the real machinary of evil are the faceless, banal masses.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Aresh Troxit

I think science and magic are the same thing. We have just changed the interpretation of the words. I guess that would mean that we create new things with the wave of a wand. So basically science is only worth the magic/energy that is put behind it. Non of science is real.

Science represents a beginning, which in turn represents death. Science is only a finite solution to an already dead world. Thinking in terms of science, and mathematics is only a distraction from yourself. The world is only a distraction from yourself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join