It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Faces Grilling in Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

BP Faces Grilling in Congress

www.reuters.com

BP Plc's U.S. chief faces accusations in Congress on Tuesday that the energy giant caused the worst oil spill in U.S. history with a calculated strategy to cut costs, hours before President Barack Obama uses a televised address to defend his handling of the disaster. A day after BP shares fell 9 percent in London and New York and the company hired investment bankers for undisclosed reasons, U.S. lawmakers will ask Lamar McKay why BP made repeated choices that appeared to favor cost savings over safety before its rig blew up in the Gulf of Mexico.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Today at this time now, Big oil is meeting to stave off repercussions steaming from the disaster in the gulf. Will this meeting change anything, time can only tell us. I hope for the ever increasing damage to the environment the the gulf region and the countless families that live around the area that Someone stands up and makes a change for real this time.

Demand action congress NOW!

The article also has 30 images of the gulf spill.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Another snippet from Reuters:

Executives from Exxon Mobil and Chevron, among others, will likely distance themselves from BP in what is expected to be a heated showdown when they face Congress at 9:30 am ET.

BP to face isolation from industry at hearings

Top competitors are expected to distance themselves from BP Plc on Tuesday as normally clubby oil industry executives gather for a Capitol Hill grilling on the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

The worst spill in US history and it keeps on becoming the nightmare the oil comanies have ignored through all the previous spills in history.

It just goes to show what companies will do for money, anything.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Has anyone heard about what is going on with captial hill and the meeting today?

Anyone?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
all lies

everytime a major company is said to get a "grilling" by congress it always ends up looking more like a few easy questions here and there and next to zero accountability afterwards.

Everyone is talking tuff but everyone at the same is acting like pussy cats.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

hey thanks for the post I have crickets here!

all lies

everytime a major company is said to get a "grilling" by congress it always ends up looking more like a few easy questions here and there and next to zero accountability afterwards.

I agree completely!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by theability

Thanks for that update. S & F.

I found this very interesting from the article:

"I believe the independent investigation will show that this tragedy was preventable," said John Watson, chairman and chief executive of Chevron."

Most of the time oil companies stick together. They must have decided it's time to sacrfice BP; although it's not like they don't deserve it.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

Question, do you think BP will actually go under? I don't because us humans won't get rid of our vehicles to show the oil thugs how serious we are!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
all lies

Precisely.

It is a show, where politicians can 'show off' to no real effect and, hopefully, give the sheep a nice warm fuzzy feeling.

The system is rife with corruption from the top to the bottom and will not be repaired.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by theability

At this point no. Too many people interested in buying their
distressed product, so to speak. Even the Chinese are interested
in buying parts of BP's interest in Alaska leases as I posted in another thread somewhere here on ATS.

That could change however very quickly if things get even worse than they are at present, as some people have predicted.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by manta78]

new topics

top topics

join