It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Spiders getting bigger in the UK

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I don't know about bigger, but I've definitely notice a LOT more spiders, at least in Michigan. Must be from the pretty wet spring and early summer we had, plus it's been very hot. Just walking through my backyard, you have a good chance of getting a web stuck to your face. I've had a ton of little circular web-building guys, orange in color, maybe about half the size of a pea.

Watching them all summer, it seemed like they built their web, and it was gone the next day or a few days later. They must pack up and leave, looking for greener pastures like a big spider dust bowl or something.

Then we have the bigger, scarier spiders that build tunnel webs in the corners of window sills, in bushes, and between bricks. I always have some every year, but this year I seem to have twice as many. These guys are probably half-dollar size.

The worst one was a wolf spider, that was probably palm-width in size, that I found roaming the walls of my TV room. You could hear him make a thud when I vacuumed him up.

I don't mind spiders, as long as they stay in the garden where they belong, eating bugs and leaving me alone.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Nicodeme]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
However, with everything that it getting pumped into the air, earth and sea I would not be suprised by future mutations. Best to look out for the ones that glow (or maybe I watch too much TV).

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
too right they are getting bigger and are appearing in the home earlier than usual. In the past week i have had 3 HUGE spiders running around. I am not a great fan of them, i never kill them, just catch them and fling them out. Infact, the other night i was actaully drunk and picked up one in my hands, let it walk around, put it out and didnt care. Two days later i find one and attempt to pick it up, but just couldnt, had to get the old tub and newspaper and trap it.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Here's one I have just discovered in my porch !!!

For a sense of scale, the gap between the wall and the white wooden baton is 3 inches or 7.6 cm's.. So it's not huge but quite cHuNkY for a UK spider..

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
ha, just found another one, but not so big, grabbed it and put it out with my bare hands! ok, had a drink but hey, m not really drunk so its progress lol

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

There should be warning tags for pics like this....

Skitz

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
not noticed any changes in size of any spiders in scotland, maybe the snow stunts their growth, either that or they are still smoking

I have a stunner of an Orb spider making a web by my front window, its a good two inches across, nothing unusual, the daddy long legs are getting right big though, warm nights and plenty of food at the mo. There are the standard house spiders and the usual field spiders in the garden, they are about 4-5 inches long, small body and long legs.

Wee Mad

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

this not a cobweb spider, bit on the wee side thought, check this site out for pictures of UK Spiders

I think that with the warmer weather at present, these spiders are coming out of their hiding places and that a lot of people that didnt know that these spiders exist have been hiding under the bed or on top of the cupboard for years lol

Wee Mad

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Im in the Midwest US, and I have had a number of conversations with people around here, friends and neighbors, that all agree that we have had some wicked huge bugs here, including spiders. We get tons of orb spiders in my area, and they have all been hitting the juice...at least twice as big than other year that any of us remember.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by weemadmental

weemadmental

Thanks for the link you provided, there are some good images.....
I have just been into my garden and into the sheep field and have just about found Every example of what is on those pictures..

The 'Mouse spider' in the hunting section is one I refer to as a Silverback.
where I live I get those very frequently in the house, normally around window frames (wooden / stone windows). They can be fast but also can climb the side of a glass real quick if you trap them to throw them out.....

The hunting wolf spiders are all making cobweb nests in the long grass now and sit near the webs... Quite aggressive when you touch them..

I find them fascinating to watch although I am not a great fan of picking them up.... their movement also is a little disconcerting but I always thought that a creature with eight eys, eight legs, a pair of fangs and eats live things from the inside out is a little un-natural, But fascinating !!

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join