It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism. A Civilized Discussion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I have noticed so much racism recently on ats its hard to believe. If you dont like Obama you're a racist. Dont like immigration? lookie here you're a racist. I know that we have had discussions like this before but apparently they arent working. If we can't get over the fact that another HUMAN has a different skin tone how are we ever going to get along with something not human? We can't even have a talk about politics now without the mention of racism. Im from the south and down here everybody hates everyone so if I can get over it why can't you? My question for you ats is how can we stop it? If not world wide then atleast at ats so i can enjoy the site. I am going to bed now, but i will read your replies tommorow. to all of you good night-chaseninja

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by chaseninja

OK chase,

I am going to have a go at replying.

I have always said that if humans cannot get on together, then there is no hope for humans to be saved.

Humans have proved they do not get along - not only racisim but religion, rich versus poor, it goes on forever.

So, the bottom line is - humans have never got on with other humans whom they perceive as different or inferior.

So, the bottom line is - how are we going to survive?

Back to racism tho - Yes, it is bad, but so many people are racist.

There is the hatred of muslims, even tho most muslims are not terrorists.

There is the example of Australia, where the indigenous people are treated badly (ok, now things are apparently improving, but only because of the rest of the world's censure).

Then you have NZ, where I live, there is so much being done for the Maori people (who, apparently, were NOT the original inhabitants - the Moriori were) that other races are in danger of being put down.

In fact, a lot of Maori youth treat other races in this country as inferior.

So, as you see, this is a difficult topic and will not be resolved as long as humans are on this planet.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

thanks for replying and i get what you are saying and halfway agree. People can change if not well...it wouldnt be a very pretty place. haha i dont think racism can ever be completely abolished maybe toned down. But i would like to keep it off ATS. you know?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
If a person has a different 'skin colour'... it has NOTHING to do with race.

Dont like immigration? lookie here you're a racist.

Then would you have any problems with 300 million extra Chinese people suddenly wanting to immigrate to the U.S?

Then I would like to ask you then, IS_THERE any limits for immigration? Should there be...

Any country can support immigration, but there will be a situation when the immigration will be abit to much for the country.

I personaly have NO_Problems with immigration... but if the amount of immigration IS to much for a country to support them... then certain situations do happen.

... If you keep on filling a ballon with water with OUT any limits, then the ballon will burst open.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by gordonwest

I do have a problem with some immigration - if that makes me a racist, so-be-it.

What I have a problem with is this:

Britain allowed a lot of Muslem people into their country - great.

Then Britain got a terrorist problem - not great.

Apparently some of the most threatening terrorists plots originate in Britain.

So that is the thanks Britain got for allowing Muslim entry.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gordonwest

I know what you mean. Im not saying let everybody in but it needs to be kept at a balanced level because its apart of american culture. Oh and im not saying just because you have a different skin color it has to do with race but thats what many people think

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
With out the actions of the past, U.S wouldn't be what it is today. The funny thing is? It doesn't matter where a person comes from that IS in the U.S... Everybody is/will be screwed from the banking disaster/Bp disaster and other types of disasters.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
ok here goes, hope i don't get a bunch of 'hate' replies. on the subject of everything making you a racist, i agree and it annoys me, when president obama was just a candidate, i stated that i didn't want to vote for him, thus i was called a racist, which i am not. when i made it clear that i wasn't goin to vote for either candidate because i didn't agree with either, that was not noticed, only that i wouldn't vote for the black guy (who by the way is barely an african american anyway).
we have the naacp and other things catering to specific ethnic groups, but if i started a 'poor white trash college fund' i'd be slaughtered as a racist.
if i fly a confederate flag, i am a racist, but if someone supports a group such as the black panthers, it's ok. it's a double standard, we need to look past the color and see that we're all people of the same species.

now on to immigration. i have no problem with it. however, i think they should become citizens, just like my ancestors who came over from ireland 200 years ago under similar circumstances and were treated like slaves for a long period in history.
to sum this one up, by all means move here and enjoy your rights, but become a citizen, pay taxes, learn the language like everyone else, you can still keep your culture, it doesn't have to be lost.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Until someone develops a Star on and a Star off machine there will continue to be racism.

Maybe somewhere working as we speak is a fix-it-up chappie" like Sylvester McMonkey McBean who will help us come to our senses.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

You are so right, dave - double standards apply.

The 'rulers' of this planet have realised that they have to stop being racist, so they have bent over so far back the other way that they are still racist.

It's a wonder their spines don't break - that is, if they even have spines - which I don't think they do.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by chaseninja

The easiest way to stop rasicm is to exterminate all the stupid people.

However, people should have the right to dislike other cultures. Tolerance needs to have limits.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
What we need is a great big melting pot..

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

of course if we exterminated the stupid people, we'd only have 4-5% of the worlds population left, maybe that wouldn't be so bad

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Racism is an issue that is deeply rooted in society. People have always had a problem with people that are different to them and concepts and convictions that are different to their own. Difference and the unknown are generally less tolerated and more feared and, of course, tolerance and fear can vary greatly from person to person and culture to culture. Thus, racism has everything to do with personal experience, cultural experience, as well as the influence and behaviour of the people that immediately surround them e.g. parents and relatives have a profound effect on how their children behave and what they choose to believe.

The point in mentioning all of this is to clarify that would be a difficult task for anybody to simply change their world view that has been offered to them, experienced by them and imposed upon them since birth. If people have racist tendencies and they are beyond their teenage years, it becomes increasingly difficult to alter their perception and patterns of behaviour.

From where I am standing, the most obvious solution to racism is to teach tolerance from the earliest age possible through a number of various outlets (schooling, parenting, media etc). If you shape a child's perspective early enough, they will mature this world view and build upon it. Although, I cannot see this method of teaching occurring anytime soon, due to the mere fact that people have such diverse beliefs and standpoints. Personally, I believe that arguing over race because of the colour of someone's skin is immature and disgusting and it is absolutely absurd that the human race has not found a means to overcome this pettiness. I recognise that it is high-time we moved-on and outdistanced this obsoleteness. However, I would have to disagree to certain extent that being opposed to immigration is equal to being racist. This is an issue where a number of other matters come into play, not solely race.

So, I honestly don't believe that the issue of race is simply going to disintegrate, least of all on a forum such as this one. It's not going to happen. Teach your kids tolerance and there might be hope for the future.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Would also be nice to get to the day where being a white male of means doesnt automatically make you racist. Acceptance is a two way street and individuals should be judged on their invidual merits and not lumped in with the masses.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I actually don't think there is as much racism in the world as many would like to believe. The word get thrown around a lot because people are intolerant of other people's views and using the race card is an easy way to call out the person you oppose. When someone uses the race card, it is extremely petty and childish and infers a lack of a real argument.

One thing I've noticed here on ATS is some of those who shout the loudest about others being racist have some race issues of their own (possibly closet racism) that they may not even realize. For instance, when I think of Obama, I don't think of a black man, I think of the president who is doing a really lousy job. Because I don't care for what he is doing to the country, I might be labeled a racist by some here. Meanwhile, I can't help to think that the person calling me a racist must see Obama first as a black man. While I am being color-blind, the other person quite clearly has color at the front of his thought process. Very revealing.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I think the Us vs. Them mentality is, as previously stated in the thread, deeply rooted in human society.

The only way to get rid of this, is to get rid of a large chunk of the ego, and to do that would require us to quit worshiping the almighty dollar. Ever seen a racist Hippy?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Racism is a sign of ignorance. Only ignorant people are racist.

Enough said.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by -Blackout-]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
thanks for all of the replies guys wish i could respond to them all

new topics

top topics

join