It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Reasons Why The World Currently Sucks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Truth is, there are a lot of unhappy people on this rock. The reasons are numerous and many but here is a simplified list of why I think the world sucks. Please feel free to add your own.

5. The Coming Financial Collapse

How big is the problem?
For a long time, western countries (among others) have been living off credit and artificial markets. The US is $13 Trillion Dollars in debt, which will soon take over the GDP. The collapse threatens to make it to just about every industrialised nation in the world.

Can it be fixed?
Governments around the world have been trying to stop it for the last couple of years with stimulus packages and bailouts. The have been throwing money at a lack-of-money problem. The ludicrous solution have shown little signs of slowing the collapse but it is still seen as inevitable to a lot of people.

4. Poverty

How big is the problem?
Poverty is defined by the world bank as living on less than US$1.25 per day. It is estimated that 1.7 Billion people currently live in poverty. Africa now produces 30% less food per person than it did in 1967. This is due to rapid population growth, poor land management and bad agricultural and economic policies, among other reasons.

Can it be fixed?
Since World War II, the worlds population has doubled, but food production has tripled. This fact seems the negate poverty being caused by poor land management so it seems poverty occurs usually for economic reasons. Without a very large change in the way the world does business, I can’t see an end to poverty.

3. The BP Oil Spill

How big is the problem?
When the disaster first happened, the oil flow out of the broken Blow-Out Preventer was estimated to be “up to 5,000 barrels per day”. That figure has varied wildly from 5,000 BPD up to 100,000 BPD. The official figure is currently 20,000 BPD. Basically, nobody knows or is willing to say. What we do know, it is the biggest man-made environmental disaster to date and is on-going.

Can it be fixed?
The Macondo Prospect is one of the largest oil and natural gas reserves ever drilled. The pressures contained within have been estimated to be up to 70,000 PSI. The ongoing leak is under almost 5000 feet of water. At this present time, it appears we do not have the technology or experience to close off this leak. Some have suggested using a nuclear device to seal the well however this can create a much larger problem. Their really is no end in sight.

2. The Impending Threat of (a very large) War

How big is the problem?
Right now, we have increasing rhetoric against Iran, to a lesser degree Turkey, and North Korea. This rhetoric threatens to break out into war at the slightest movement of an itchy trigger finger and it doesn’t seem like it is getting better. The US is already involved in 2 on-going wars.
If war does break out, it has the capability of turning into an even bigger war very quickly while countries honour their alliances and maybe make new ones. Some people believe the next war could break out into world war 3.

Can it be fixed?
The US will continue their war on terror until all of the terrorists have been defeated. The problem is that the legal definition of terrorist is getting more and more vague, so the apparent supply of terrorists is never ending. Some believe that the current threat of war will not ease until the war has started and finished.

1. Government

How big is the problem?
Every country in the world has a government. The governments encroach on nearly every aspect of human lives, and it is not getting better. It really is unfathomable how much control the governments have on the world but we don’t know it any other way. Governments create more problems than they solve.

Can it be fixed?
If World War III doesn’t do it, I’m afraid we may be stuck with them forever.

[edit on 12/6/10 by GobbledokTChipeater]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Police and gov are the biggest dangers to anyones life in the west.

This does not mean i am a stup1d plank of wood republican or democrat or labour conservative, it means i just wanted to live my life.

Nothing other than electronic mind control is the biggest threat to anyones life on earth, and my life has proven this.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I can never take anything you say seriously because it always revolves around your personal experience of 'mind control'. The second I see your name on a post I already know exactly what you are going to say - when are you going to share your story with the fine people of ATS?

If it's really that bad a situation wouldn't you want to share it with others in the hope they could avoid it?

As for the OP - I would have to choose money as the single most negative thing within society - any society. It always comes down to money - Oil Spill = money, Poverty = money, War = money, Government = money (power).

Until the monetary system is held under the microscope I can't see anything changing.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
And the 6th reason why the world sucks right now...

6. Live forever posted a thread with all the #ty things going on so now im in a negative mood and so will a lot of readers!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
What about 5 things that makes our world good. What is with all the doom and gloom? Seriously our world is not so bad. You think it was ever as good as it is now? Air conditioning, clean water, food at will, computer, internet, all kinds of medicine, the FIFA world cup, faster transportation and were discovering new things every day. Our life is so much easier than life was before the 1900's. We had it easy. (Besides the 2 world wars)

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Because the world, and the way we currently live... is not sustainable for much longer. I wanted to highlight that. That was the idea of the "can it be fixed" part.

Something big has to change, and will change, for better or for worse.

Edit: I just tried thinking of "5 Reasons the World is Currently Awesome" for a new thread, and couldn't think of 5. U2U me some ideas?

[edit on 12/6/10 by GobbledokTChipeater]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I too agree money is the biggest problem, the largest creator of inequality which leads to have, have nots, which leads to envy, crime, war, etc. Money to me is followed closely by organized religion. This leads to "my god is better than yours...", disdain, war, racism, fundamentalism in any religion, etc...

I feel if humanity can shake itself of these two powerful controlling devices we would be sooo much better off and happier. Maybe then the people would see we are all equal, in this together, one world; and can begin working towards a common goal of making sure eveyone is fed, educated, sheltered, and free.

Just my thoughts..

Peace

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
the world doesn't suck
thats gravity....

I agree with the puddy tat
all the things you mention have been foreshadowed by
the very people profiting from it

like goldman sachs selling derivitives just before the rig blew
not to mention massive blocks of stock

they are Odrama's biggest campagn contributer and are in effect the gov...
"give me control of the money and I care not..."etc
remember when CONgress was going to get tough on them and the stocks just went down a thousand
at that INSTANT the session started and went back up a thousand the instant that congress caved?

the creature comforts will disapper in the face of 6 to 8 buck a gallon gas coming in a month or ttwo
and they WILL get that CARBON tax out of this
(thought it was dead when AL Gored himself on his own sword?)
you breath out carbon so its a tax on breathing

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

Hmm, I say its only your number 1...

Fix that and the 2-5 will take care of itself....

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
5 Reasons Why The World Is GREAT:

1- Homegrown Tomatoes... Summer is here and it's gettin time for the greatest fuit/veggie ever made. BLTs, Mater sandwiches, homemede pasta sauces, fresh tomatoe/mozarella/basil slalds. Nothing says summer like tomatoes.

2- You still have time to find someone you can love. It might be a friend, a lover, a boy or girl, it might be helping and showing love to a neighbor, or a stranger in need. Go and visit someone in a retirement home...or join a volunteer group and help someone, ask someone out on a date.... if time is so short...hey, what ya got to lose?. find someone to LOVE.

3- Twilight time...Dusk. The stars are coming out and now that it's summer, get a quilt, a bottle of wine, some favorite munchies and sit under the stars as they peep out and realize just how small we all are... and how wonderful this creation is. Watch the fireflys and bats dance around. maybe glimpse a falling star. Mix with number 2 and see what happens. hey...go find an old drive-in movie and really treat yourself...there's still a few around. Extra butter with that?

4- Blueberries/Peaches/Cantaloupes/Melons....when you go out traveling on a vacation or just a quick get away, take the back roads and avoid the interstates... you will still find some roadside fruit stands and taste the bounty of nature. Get a cantaloupe and cut in half, scoop out the seeds, and fill with vanilla ice cream....I think I'm tearing up.

5-Take the back roads and visit some small towns. As much as this world has changed and the pace of life is faster and faster, nothing is more reassuring than seeing the old men sitting down at the filling station ...drinking Cokes and telling lies. The flag still waves on the courthouse square, right beside the monuments. You can still find mom and pop grills with real home-made burgers and soft drinks on shaved ice, folks still wave as you drive by slowly.

Yes, the world's got it's problems, but it always has and will. But look at all the wonderful blessings you have and enjoy life...enjoy living...smile, laugh, walk barefooted, go skinny dipping, buld a sand castle, take three hours and make some homemade ice cream and invite the neighbors. Go out and LIVE.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

All true, except my dad never could grow a tomatoe

Live for today and tomorrow will take care of itself...

Dont worry about something you cant change...

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

I would replace your number one with animals.

Your number four I would replace with bacon, and many other foods, mostly bacon though.

Other than that, I completely agree with the rest of your post.

Raist

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
OP the financial crisis and poverty are tied together. But money means nothing without someone there to love. Without love everything else is pointless.

The oil spill is a disaster. It will take a very long time for even a part of the things affected to recover. The best part is though, that no matter what nature is far more powerful than man ever will be, it can undo everything we have ever done. The good thing about crude oil is that it is really a thing of nature; nature in turn will know how to fix this problem better than man will. Sadly, because the crude came in a larger quantity than normal so it will take longer.

The threat of war has always been there and will continue to do so. The reason behind this is no matter what people cannot agree on everything and some feel so strong about their passion they want to hurt others for it. An example I am sure someone on here could see someone hurting an animal in a torturing manner and decide to bring harm to that person.

Governments will always be because the majority feel they need someone to take charge of the decisions they feel are too hard to make themselves.

Raist

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
You know the number one reason why this world is in such bad shape?

Money + Power = Greed

I don't care who you are or where you're from, greed is ruining this world.
You can discredit greed for what it's worth, but when you boil it down and serve it...
Greed is the number one reason.

Period.

Unfortunately, we will never get rid of this problem as long as there is a continual strive for fortune and fame.
Face facts here, folks.
If you have things you don't need, you are greedy.
Definition of Greed:

Greed is an excessive desire to possess wealth or goods

Source
We are taught at an ealry age to get the most out of life...
If you base your life of obtaining the most wealth you can (i.e., the American Dream)...you are greedy.
Everyone has an ounce of greed in them.

Ponder that subject and you will learn more about yourself everyday.
(I am not saying I'm not greedy either, but at least I admit I have things I don't need...unlike most people)

(thanks Liveforever8 for touching on the money rules the world issue)

top topics

join