It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. council hits defiant Iran with new sanctions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

U.N. council hits defiant Iran with new sanctions

www.reuters.com

The U.N. Security Council imposed a fourth round of sanctions on a defiant Iran on Wednesday over a nuclear program the West suspects is aimed at developing the means to build atom bombs.
The 15-nation council passed a resolution that was the product of five months of talks between the United States, Britain, France, Germany, China and Russia. With 12 votes in favor, it received the least support of the four Iran sanctions resolutions adopted since 2006.

The four Western powers had wanted much tougher measures -- some targeting Iran's energy sector -- but Beijing and Moscow succeeded in d
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Iran's U.N. ambassador, Mohammad Khazaee said on Tuesday that the push for sanctions showed that some "prefer confrontation" and Iran would react in an "appropriate" way

So pretty much, the UN/US is crippling an entire nation because it speculates that it may be developing WMD. (See Iraq). The only problem with this situation is that the Iranian government is ready to defend itself, contrary to the case in Iraq. Just making a bad situation worse...

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

All of this doesn't really matter as war between Israel and Iran is inevitable. It's not gonna take much longer for hell to break loose.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Sanctions are bad..

When you compare Iraq's sanctions put in place by Clinton to the War the sanctions did much more harm. What happens is limited supplies are allowed into the country to force them to stop whatever they are doing, it is also meant to pull them away from their negative actions since they need to focus their limited energies on feeding, housing etc their people, but what normally happens is many countries just let their people suffer and continue on their chosen path.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Another thread here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Meanwhile President Obama is meeting at the white house with Palestinian President Abbas....

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Why can't Iran build nukes? I have heard no good reason why they can't. We hold the most nukes in the world, and have used them twice, why can't Iran build a few? I'm sure we wouldn't have hostile relations if we just let them be.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
Why can't Iran build nukes? I have heard no good reason why they can't. We hold the most nukes in the world, and have used them twice, why can't Iran build a few? I'm sure we wouldn't have hostile relations if we just let them be.

It's not that simple. Israel will never tolerate Iran having nukes. Never. And the US essentially has to do what Israel wants.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curio

It's not that simple. Israel will never tolerate Iran having nukes. Never. And the US essentially has to do what Israel wants.

No we don't, we could suffer what could happen if we decided to not follow them. We never have to do something, we just choose what is the best with the problems they might have.

Anyway, if I am remembering correctly, doesn't Israel have one of the smallest armies in the Middle East?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

The standard argument is that Iran sponsors terrorist organizations, and has radical Islamic beliefs, are inclined to engage in a proxy war with Israel and western interests thus may possibly facilitate terrorists with nuclear weapons for use against its enemies.

There is supportive evidence of this and to counter it, so it is difficult to draw clear conclusions on the actual threat because of a long and ongoing propaganda/disinformation war.

Iran may already have enough enriched uranium to build nukes, so as time goes by, diplomacy and sanctions become more irrelevant.

Israel may feel it has no other option now but to act on it's own to remove the nuclear threat, whether that threat is actually valid or only speculation.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

No we don't, we could suffer what could happen if we decided to not follow them. We never have to do something, we just choose what is the best with the problems they might have.

Unfortunately we have no choice. You don't even get to run for President unless you back Israel - because they control a huge amount of the campaign funding. Republican or Democrat - say anything against Israel and you're history. It's a problem that runs very, very deep.

Anyway, if I am remembering correctly, doesn't Israel have one of the smallest armies in the Middle East?

It's not the quantity that counts

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Curio]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Israel has one of the most organized armies in the region.

Pretty much these sanctions are giving Iran another reason to go to war.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
OMG, how will Iran possibly survive another strongly-worded letter?
Oh yeah, by buying stuff through Russia and China.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
sanctions is not a punishment, it is used to weaken the enemy before an attack. fact.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I think it is time to draw battle lines. Iran needs to start courting the world, start in Latin America, Asia and Africa. Start getting nations on their side, not just rogue regimes either. They need to start developing military ties with countries all across the world.

Start doing military exercises with Venezuela, Syria and Turkey. Become friendly with as many nations as they possibly can. That way in the situation of an attack on Iran they would have a broad alliance. They might not assist militarily but they can definitely aid Iran in other ways. And if the west doesn't like other countries helping Iran then they can blow up half the world, and they wouldn't.

new topics

top topics

join