It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You know what they say about High-Fructose Corn Syrup right?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
be careful of the agave, someone tested a bunch of samples that were supposed to be 100% agave and they had varing degrees of corn syrup, one was up to 50% corn syrup.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by research100]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Gotta watch cheap honey too..."global brands" honey sold cheap at some CVS stores is 50% HF corn syrup....KFC honey packets only contain 10% real honey

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the info on agave and honey actually being corn syrup. The food companies intentionally mislabel products to make a profit. They only get a slap on the wrist for that. They may make 500 million profit on the sales of the mislabeled products and be hit with a 2 million dollar fine when caught.

These videos seemed like comedy when they first came out. I was surprised they were actually real.

The way they take exactly the same tone and say the same things no matter what they are speaking of reminds me of Obama's style of talking. It matters no what the facts are or what the situation is, his tone and rhythm is always the same just like the sassy lady in the video.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by kimchee]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dreampsi

I would help. I was auctually thinking of the same thing as you.....the same commercial except in the first on I pictured a kid comming up to them a telling them how it really was. The second one I was thinking a person walking a dog would come up to them and tell them how it really was (and in the background the dog is peeing)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Directly from Wikipedia:

In the US, HFCS is among the sweeteners that have partially replaced sucrose (table sugar), thanks to governmental subsidies of U.S. corn and an import tariff on foreign sugar, raising the price of sucrose to levels above those of the rest of the world, making HFCS a cost-efficient for many sweetener applications.

Critics of the extensive use of HFCS in food sweetening argue that the highly processed substance is more harmful to humans than regular sugar, contributing to weight gain by affecting normal appetite functions, and that in some foods HFCS may be a source of mercury, a known neurotoxin.

They been using this garbage for years in Soda (pepsi / coca cola / cheap walmart brand sodas).
Mexican coke actually uses sugar not HCFS.
Why would I want to put this garbage inside my body when its a neurotoxin?
Not only that it's more worser then natural sugar.
This is an over processed product, we have alot of artifical flavors and artifical products in food. And other chemicals.

Our liver and GI tract processes all this, and yes alot of natural things have chemicals, if you look into corn it's actually genetically modified to be resistance to a certain weed killer poison and 60 percent of the corn in US population is GM.

The sad part farmers are spraying alot of weed killer on the crops since the corn is resistance to it, your getting that on your corn traces of the poison.

That's why they say to wash your veggies, the problem is major corporations like pepsi-cola and coca cola use HFCS made by some sort of lab, and I doubt that lab is going to wash the corn throughly, but I have no proof or evidence of this.

So if they do a pre-wash on the corn before they make it into HFCS, then you could be somewhat safe from the contaminants in the final product.

Much research must go into this before claiming that HFCS isn't entirely safe. However if the pre-cursor (Corn) wasn't pre-washed under some sort of system, then you can say your getting trace amounts of that poison mixed in the HFCS, and your consuming the product, the only way we can start getting healthier HFCS is activism and bringing awareness to the consumers, because we buy these products we have the power to force companies to start regulations on there sources of HFCS, to make sure there is a standard and practice in place to make sure the pre-cursor has been filtered of any contamination, but again HFCS contains trace amounts of mercury, and possibly the pesticides sprayed on the corn, so your getting mercury + pesticides in your HFCS. Sadly this is probably the reason why alot of people end up with cancer or disease because these corporations don't have health in mind, it's all about cost effectiveness.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by cyb0rne]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Beverages and foods saturated with HFCS taste pretty awful anyway, especially the sodas and juices. I mean, they're just horrid, syrupy and sticky crap.

It puts a bad taste in your mouth, even from the foods and snacks.

I stopped HFCS consumption and my food life couldn't be better. Everything tastes wonderful.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Great Post!!! Someday everyone is going to realize how bad the processed foods we eat is slowly killing us!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by UndergroundMilitia
reply to post by concerned190

If you read the labels of some of the most common and mundane "foods" at the supermarket, you'll find that this crap is being added to nearly everything and even some foods (especially CANDY) will have a toxic cocktail of HFCS, aspartame in addition to sugar (Wrigley's gum for example, I believe Juicy Fruit).

I am a COMPLETE label Nazi, and I've taken the time to go through every gum on a rack in our local Canadian Superstore to see the ingredients. EVERY SINGLE ONE, even Hubba Bubba and Bubblicious, for God's sake, has ASPARTAME in it. This wasn't so twenty years ago when I was a child - Trident and Bubblicious and Juicy Fruit had fructose and glucose, but NOT aspartame; they've only added that in the last ten years or less, from what I've seen.

On the positive side, when I chew gum, I chew Spry (no, I don't work for them
). Green tea is my favourite, it's quite yummy, and you don't feel the need to have seven more afterward (like when chewing Hubba Bubba and stuffing a ton of them in your mouth
). And they use xylitol, a sugar alcohol, as opposed to any of the above-mentioned dangerous compounds. I haven't yet heard anything bad about xylitol (other than it being deadly for pets.), so it's either okay for us or just the lesser evil than high-fructose corn syrup, sugar, aspartame, "artificial flavour" (which is usually aspartame, anyway.), glucose, or fructose. I'm EXTREMELY sensitive to chemicals and toxins - my body usually tells me right away with a headache, stomachache, etc., but I've never experienced that when having the rare amounts of xylitol I have (a pack of Spry lasts me about a month - I rarely chew gum). Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on xylitol?

By the way, I've just noticed over the last year that "artificial flavour" has been added to REGULAR pop. They aren't coming right out and saying "aspartame", but you can be sure there's a lot of that crap in there. Considering I am very sensitive and intuitive about chemicals and toxins, when having a sip of Dr. Pepper a few months ago, I immediately got a hazy headache. Right when noticing, I read the label to see "artificial flavour" (then I dumped the rest of it out). Dark pop also used to only have glucose and fructose, but they've been adding even more lately to the chemical soup of the ridiculous foods and drinks that are under the headline "everything in moderation".

Speaking of "everything in moderation", a poison is a poison is a poison. Crack is still a POISON when you have it in moderation. Same with cigarettes, same with alcohol, same with high-fructose corn syrup! My father's generation really came with that propaganda ("everything in moderation".), and I have to constantly remind him what price you're paying even with that moderation for certain things (like the above-mentioned damaging things).

Peace, Unity, Love, and Light to all of you! Thanks to the original poster for putting up this ridiculous propaganda and your research. You've started the ball rolling!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyb0rne
Directly from Wikipedia:

In the US, HFCS is among the sweeteners that have partially replaced sucrose (table sugar), thanks to governmental subsidies of U.S. corn and an import tariff on foreign sugar, raising the price of sucrose to levels above those of the rest of the world, making HFCS a cost-efficient for many sweetener applications.

Critics of the extensive use of HFCS in food sweetening argue that the highly processed substance is more harmful to humans than regular sugar, contributing to weight gain by affecting normal appetite functions, and that in some foods HFCS may be a source of mercury, a known neurotoxin.

They been using this garbage for years in Soda (pepsi / coca cola / cheap walmart brand sodas).
Mexican coke actually uses sugar not HCFS.
Why would I want to put this garbage inside my body when its a neurotoxin?
Not only that it's more worser then natural sugar.
This is an over processed product, we have alot of artifical flavors and artifical products in food. And other chemicals.

Our liver and GI tract processes all this, and yes alot of natural things have chemicals, if you look into corn it's actually genetically modified to be resistance to a certain weed killer poison and 60 percent of the corn in US population is GM.

The sad part farmers are spraying alot of weed killer on the crops since the corn is resistance to it, your getting that on your corn traces of the poison.

That's why they say to wash your veggies, the problem is major corporations like pepsi-cola and coca cola use HFCS made by some sort of lab, and I doubt that lab is going to wash the corn throughly, but I have no proof or evidence of this.

So if they do a pre-wash on the corn before they make it into HFCS, then you could be somewhat safe from the contaminants in the final product.

Much research must go into this before claiming that HFCS isn't entirely safe. However if the pre-cursor (Corn) wasn't pre-washed under some sort of system, then you can say your getting trace amounts of that poison mixed in the HFCS, and your consuming the product, the only way we can start getting healthier HFCS is activism and bringing awareness to the consumers, because we buy these products we have the power to force companies to start regulations on there sources of HFCS, to make sure there is a standard and practice in place to make sure the pre-cursor has been filtered of any contamination, but again HFCS contains trace amounts of mercury, and possibly the pesticides sprayed on the corn, so your getting mercury + pesticides in your HFCS. Sadly this is probably the reason why alot of people end up with cancer or disease because these corporations don't have health in mind, it's all about cost effectiveness.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by cyb0rne]

Corn syrup not used in europe either , research over here suggests very bad for you....so use sugar...blame it on the ridiculous subsidies payed to corn farmers

[edit on 10-6-2010 by gambon]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly Lindin

sugar , glucose and fructose are naturally occuring sugars surely not man made chemicals ?

I would rather have any of them than xylitol or any other , nutrasweet etc , as they are naturally occuring...Dr pepper has always been labelled as containing artificial flavours over here but eec rules are really strict on food labelling...and contents compared to usa....the home of squeezee cheeze ...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by cyb0rne

Ah yes, Mexican coke is so much better though I rarely drink sodas any more. I always look for Mexican sweets and candies as they are still for the most part made with cane sugar and even their hard candies are great...we forget how good things can taste.

I think originally the heavy use of corn syrup and heavily subsidised corn started because most of our cane sugar use to come from Cuba...and it was all American to go with corn syrup so there's some history there too. The good news is that they are developing some new yeasts that will convert this poisonous food much more efficiently in to ethanol and have made remarkable progress on this recently. Don't eat it!

The heavy infiltration of genetically modified foods into our food has made me avoid all soy and all corn unless it is certified %100 in the State of California because other States have very lax food labelling laws and can't be trusted. Monsanto is ruining it for everyone to say the least. Look for kosher food too if you're trying to avoid HFCS.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

OK. I didn't take the time to check out all the links you provided, but this one:

Bt-Corn

states that:

The Bt endotoxin is considered safe for humans, other mammals, fish, birds, and the environment because of its selectivity.

So, you should be more careful if you want to build a case that you do not cite resources that refute your claim.

Let's make things simple. HFCS is used in place of sugar to sweeten drinks. HFCS is not a diet sweetener.

So you have a lot of people loading up on sugary drinks like Coke, Sprite, Barqs...essentially ALL the sodas served in fast food joints and stores across the world.

People who go to fast food places don't just order drinks, and IF they order "a combo" (that comes with a drink), they also have fries with that (med, lrg, whatever) plus the burger, chicken, whatever.

Another situation would be someone who knows "Hey. I don't need all those extra calories. Screw the combo. I'll take just the burger. I don't need the fries either, and it's cheaper." (remember how many calories burgers and single entrees have these days)

So, my view of this HFCS is bad because it causes weight gain is:

Anyone obese who drinks HFCS beverages would be overweight / obese even if you replaced it with sugar.

As far as the pesticide aspect. Pesticides have been used long before GMO came along, and there were (or were there?) no conspiracy theories about toxic tomatoes. But, now we have organic foods, so apparently someone was worried.

I will say that I personally never drink sodas -- diet or otherwise. I drink tap water or water that passes through a Pur pitcher to remove any bad taste and some other things.
I realize that products have HFCS in them, but I don't consider that a problem unless I eat too much of that product, which will cause the extra calories to cause me to gain weight. So, I exercise. I run and do some light strength stuff, nothing fancy.

If you want to blame someone for obesity, blame marketing campaigns. They specifically target children, and the parents know it every time their kids cry to eat at McDonald's. Then you have Coca-cola that advertises EVERYWHERE, even in third-world countries. Then you've got companies like Domino's serving pizzas at schools, then going on TV and claiming that it is a "healthy eating choice." (American Greed program on MSNBC I think.)

In short, pick your battles. We could spend all day on these invisible threats. I think people are obese because they eat too much and don't move enough. IF the HFCS in foods DOES cause excess fat, then SLACK OFF and exercise more! DONE DEAL!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by glitchinmymatrix

The fact of the matter is, there is not enough research being done to fully say that BT cron doesn't harm humans, numerous independant studies have linked GM corn to sterility, liver and kidney toxicity, and immune system problems. Of course if you believe monsanto and FDA scientists, GM corn is ok.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The nickname for HFCS is liquid satan. That should tell a person volumes about this substance with that name alone.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join