It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Generation of Douchebags

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
....are your male children growing up to be the next generation of douchebags following the current generation(s) of douchebags?

All I see is hat wearing guys with their pants/shorts hanging off of their arses....cell phone in hand....treating their lady like crap.

These are the guys that interrupt events for their own ego boost.....like checking their cell phone in the middle of a dark theatre.

They all drive "pimp" mobiles. They all wanna hook up.

They all wanna be 'gangstas'.

They all feel entitled and self empowered. They want to work as little as possbile for maximum payout. Steady job....forget it.....play the system and move on is their motto.

They have no respect for anyone else around them.....except maybe their posse.

These are not just teenagers either....these are men in their 20's and 30's.

I don't get it. Too much TV?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by wdkirk

Perhaps...I see the whole contemporary youth culture as a demographic to sell **** to. Youth have always been such conformist...easily manipulated in the market place. No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public...HL Menckin

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

....are your male children growing up to be the next generation of douchebags following the current generation(s) of douchebags?

All I see is hat wearing guys with their pants/shorts hanging off of their arses....cell phone in hand....treating their lady like crap.

These are the guys that interrupt events for their own ego boost.....like checking their cell phone in the middle of a dark theatre.

They all feel entitled and self empowered. They want to work as little as possbile for maximum payout. Steady job....forget it.....play the system and move on is their motto.

You do realize when we were young we acted very similar to them?
Every generation says that about it's younger folk.
I have three sons who are 23, 21, and 16...the 20- somethings are hard workers and dedicated. The 16 year old is exactly how you described..with the exception that he still has a job, and a good work ethic.
The problem is not just TV..but the culture and society of today. EVERYONE feels oppressed and they relate to the music, or past cultures that represent that.
It's a great marketing tool by the PTB.
Works well.
No matter what generation, this will happen.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Was I ever a 'douchebag' when I was a teen?

I once cut a triangle out of my bell bottoms, so I could make them bigger with a different colored fabric.

My hair once went well past my shoulders, and I washed it when I bathed, which was often a plunge in the sea.

To my credit, I never said "groovy", but I did get stuck in a phase for several months where I over-used the word "crisp" to describe things I liked.

I once had my hair dyed purple and green, and cut in a way that shellacing it into long spikes was easier. The haircut cost me forty bucks. U.S.D.

There was a time where I did'nt know for certain if I would wake up or where.

There was a time where I thought sleeping on the beach was "crisp". I stunk.

Was I a 'douchebag'? Well, I wouldn't invite such a person into MY house.

There was a time where I got tired of being a lazy turd seeking enlightenment and decided I wanted the security of a known roof over my head, and took steps to secure one.

I don't think things have changed so much. Our perspectives sometimes can get stuck in a certain era, I think. Everyone wants to have fun; People seek out what they think they want, and in the process, hopefully, discover what they need.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Well, maybe the best thing you can do, is never ever talk about them people....as if thery never existed, don't dress like them nor act like them and don't waste your breath on them, find something else that is constructive.

have a niceday...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
My boys are 20, 18 and 14

The 20 yo is 'normal' as such

So is the 14 yo

The 18yo thinks I am rude when I ask him at 4am to keep his voice down. He does as he pleases, who he pleases and when he pleases.

I didn't do anything differently, they were all treated the same as age progressed and still are.

A friend of mine has a female version of one of these that is 16, and hearing her stories make me cringe worse than what the male version does!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Some of these claims are a mass generalization. There are people who dress as you speak but have jobs and respect others.

However, every generation has it's rebellious children and every child goes through a phase. Sometimes that phase lasts until you're 30. I was a teenager during the whole grunge and freak thing and adults would say the same thing about those kids. So with kids in public like that, I just roll my eyes and say "kids will be kids".

MissMegs, have you tried a little tough love? My kids are only 9 and 10 right now, but I am hoping that when they are past 18 I have the strength to tell them to move out if they are disrespecting my house.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Snowflake:
Yes, and unfortunately tough love is the only thing that works. He has been thrown out on his arse more than once.

There is now a respect for what he has got that is growing slowly.

And it is so hard to take that step initially, but it's all better in the long run.

And tomorrow is another day....:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

MM

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I think people like that always existed it's just we tend to notice them more now. In my opinion, if they don't get their a** kicked by life, then nothing can convince them to change.

join