It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalist killed while covering volcano

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Journalist killed while covering volcano

www.videowired.com

A state of emergency is declared and thousands are evacuated as a volcano erupts near Guatemala’s capital.

Guatemala City, Guatemala (CNN) -- The death toll from the eruption of a volcano in Guatemala has risen to at least three people, an official said Friday.
Two villagers from El Bejucal and a reporter from CNN affiliate Noti 7 were killed as a result of Thursday's eruption of the Pacaya volcano, said David de Leon, a spokesman for the national disaster commission.
The three victims were crushed by rocks strewn by the volcano.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
video.aol.ca
www.cnn.com

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
There is a video on many links..but not much else yet..this is really terrible.
The other links are the same video..its not in English.
Im supposing they will have more coverage later today.

Can anyone translate what the reporter is saying?

Wow..how many other volcanoes this summer!! My prayers are indeed with these people.

www.videowired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread. It was truly upsetting watching the CNN report even though I don't speak Spanish you could tell the guy was very sad for his friend who was killed by falling debris. It would be very interesting to see if volcanic activity has markedly increased this year . It sure feels like it.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by tarifa37]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
See, the LAST thing you want to do to a volcano is cover it. The pressure just builds up and the explosion is worse.

Now in seriousness: you need to understand that there will be volcanoes and earthquakes and hurricanes and all manner of natural disasters. They happen every year, and have been happening for at least as long as we've kept records. There will be deaths. I'm sorry, but it is true.

It may seem to you that the frequency of these events is increasing, but it is not. The quantity of reports and the speed that the reports get to you has increased because of the improvements in telecommunications, and this renders the illusion that more are happening. So don't freak out.

Is it possible that a certain old book made up of littler books is helping to feed your morbid curiosity, indeed desire for wish fulfillment, that events of this sort are on the increase? Is it possible that other people know you have a secret desire for this to be so? Is it possible, just possible, that they see your irrational belief in prophesy as a means to fill their buckets with duckets? More than possible, I would say; more like probable.

The above is not directed at you, OP. Rather, it is directed at the inevitable "end is nigh" sentiment that will undoubtedly ensue.

z

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Just found this interesting site www.volcanolive.com...

Volcano News - John Seach
Volcano Early Warning Program
john

Monitoring worldwide volcanic activity
10 years on the internet - 2000-2010

Saturday 29th May 2010
Pacaya Volcano, Guatemala
Pacaya volcano, Guatemala erupted yesterday. Guatemala's President declared a state of "calamity" in two provinces and opened emergency shelters to accommodate over 1,700 residents who were evacuated. More than 65 people were injured, a television reporter killed, some people are missing, and hundreds of houses damaged by the eruption which sent stones and ash over a wide area. The international airport at Guatemala City was to remain closed for 20 hours. The runway was covered by 2.5 cm of volcanic ash.
More on Pacaya volcano...
Volcanoes of Guatemala...

Saturday 29th May 2010
Tungurahua Volcano, Ecuador
Tungurahua volcano in Ecuador erupted yesterday forcing the evacuation of hundreds of people. The eruption plume rose 10 km above the crater. Ashfall was reported at the city of Guyaquil, 185 kilometers southwest of the volcano. Flights were disrupted at Guayaquil and Quito airports.
More on Tungurahua volcano...
Volcanoes of Ecuador...

Friday 28th May 2010
Vanuatu Earthquake (Mag 7.2)
A major earthquake (Magnitude 7.2) hit Vanuatu on 28th May 2010 at 04:14 hr local time. The epicentre was located 125 km NW of Gaua volcano at a depth of 36 km. A tsunami warning issued for Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and New Caledonia was later canceled.
More on Gaua volcano...
Volcanoes of Vanuatu...

Thursday 27th May 2010
Eyjafjallajokull volcano, Iceland
No activity has occurred at Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland for 5 days. It is looking increaslingly likely that the volcano eruption has ended. Currenly there is only steam coming from the crater.
More on Eyjafjallajokull volcano...
Volcanoes of Iceland...

[edit on 29-5-2010 by tarifa37]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Zelun

It's ok..I didnt think you directed it at me..but good post

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Its sad to read about the fatalities of this latest eruption from Volcan Pacaya. My heart goes to all who have lost family or friends in this latest eruption. I have twice been to the summit of this volcano on visits to Guatemala in 1975 and 1976. On my first visit in 1975 I climbed to the top with a friend. At that time Pacaya had two cones, the upper cone was dormant and the lower cone was erupting about every five or ten minutes I recall. When we climbed up the volcano you could feel the ground shaking beneath your feet as it erupted. There was sulphurous gases and steam coming from the cinders which covered the slope. As we got to the top we broke through a layer of cloud and saw an amazing spectacle. We were looking out from the top of the volcano to the west and you could see a whole line of volcanos rising up from the layer of clouds. The nearest to Pacaya was Volcan Fuego and it was also erupting. The sun was setting in the west and when Pacaya erupted, it was a shower of molten lava spurting up about a hundred feet or more into the air.

I got quite freaked out, because the ground was shaking so much, I was afraid the Volcano was maybe going to completely break apart - which I knew was a possibility. My friend, who was from Alaska, took the opportunity to tell me about his expereince living through the 1964 Achorage earthquake - a description I will never forget.

The second time I visited the Volcano was the following year (1976) about a month after a devasting earthquake killed tens of thousands of people in Guatemala. As we climbed up the forested slopes, I noted that everything was covered in a thick layer of ash, several inches deep. Many trees were broken and twisted. A ridge below the volcano was covered by huge boulders. We climbed to the top of the cone in the clouds so it was hard to see anything. The volcano was quiet but still ominous. I was freaked out at the top because the crater was so big and I couldn't orient myself. When we got back to the ridge, the clouds cleared and we saw that it looked to me like the two cones had been replaced by one larger crater. We encountered a native Mayan man who had scrawed one word into the ash. The word was "FIN", I guess meaning end.

One thing that was interesting about this eruption is that it was apparently triggered by the big earthquake.

There have been many people killed in Pacaya's eruptions over the years. Even on our first climb I remember there was some sort of memorial for several people who had been killed in a previous eruption. The volcano is a popular tourist attraction, but it can also be deadly. I guess that is partly what makes it so awesome because you are so aware of the awesome powers of nature when you stand on top of an active volcano.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
... a reporter from CNN affiliate Noti 7 were killed as a result of Thursday's eruption

The three victims were crushed by rocks strewn by the volcano.

Wow jounalism sounds like a life or death profession.

Many thanks to those who gave thier lives attempting to bring us the story.

top topics

join