It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm trying to debunk this footage. Anyone want to help?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

This video has gone viral.

One thing I see, as pointed out in the comment section, at 2:34, the nose scrunches, where a bear shouldn't have that happen, due to it being bone. Could this be a man in a bear suit? If so, it is actually well done.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Well I have to say, this looks like a normal, well normal...
, bear!
Animals in zoos do the most strange things

Nice footage!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
WHATTTTTTTT????? Thats crazy and it looks real. It its fake, its a good fake.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I thought I saw the original of this...and as I recall, it doesn't involve as much over-the-wrist twirling and catching. Just whipping back and forth.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this isn't the video I remember seeing originally...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Sorry to say, but fake. If you can see bear's hand when spinning the stick, you can see glitch or unusual movement. I would say CGI artist did good job, but not good enough for people who have sharp eyes like me.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
this just looks like a bear playing with bamboo, i doubt it has any idea what itrs doing its just having fun balancing and swinging around the bamboo shaft, or could this be the actual bear that kung fu panda was based off of, species was switched to panda in the movie to protect his indentity

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Try as I might I cannot see anything that would corroborate with what my brain is telling me: that this is fake. I've examined the motion in the neck and back and it's consistent with the way bear musclature should move. As for your particular point with the nose, a bear's nasal cavity is hollow like a human's and is filled in with dense but flexible cartilage, take a look at some skeletons and you'll see what I mean.

If this is fake, it is the absolute best fake I have ever seen and whoever was responsible should be in Hollywood.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dontblink

The professional quality of the film was probably achieved with animatronics (mechanised puppets), used in the film industry.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Most definitely CGI. C'mon guys.

They are able to some pretty crazy things with video nowadays.

Makes you wonder how advanced our technology really is?

[edit on 28-5-2010 by susp3kt]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It took me years to train that bear in secret martial techniques and it goes and gets filmed revealing all!!

In all seriousness, it could just be an old bored bear who found fun in a stick, and people showed attention when he played at being a shaolin monk, so he extended his act to get more food. Or it could be a bored bear playing with a stick and someone slightly manipulated it. Neither seems beyond the realms of possibility. To me it looks like a real bear, not a man in a bear suit or animatronics.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Kurokage]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This is the real video without editing still thats impressive if real.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by alienseeker]
here is the video link
working right www.youtube.com...

[edit on 28-5-2010 by alienseeker]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I don't think it would be impossible for a bear to learn how to do that, especially one in a zoo that has quite literally nothing to do all day.

However if it is down to trickery then well done indeed!

Remain vigilant

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The question is: is this an ex-circus animal?

Either way someone has likely trained it. (Still fun.
)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I like how he gets progressively better, like a training montage. I had "Eye of the Tiger" in my head as I watched this... I know of no bear themed inspirational songs. But it really doesn't seem "too" fake if it was indeed faked. Animals do weird stuff when bored, Humans included. If someone was just having fun with CGI I'd think they'd throw in some Wire Fu type stuff.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This brings back memories of the jedi kid, even some of his moves look similar to some moves with a staff done by martial artists.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Zorzenon

Bear themed inspirational song? Hey, how about the bear necessities?

2nd

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think its real. The bear probably developed this skill over a period of time.

It took me years to learn how to drink out of a glass.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

Possibly, but I don't remember ever seeing an animatronic puppet move so fluidly.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

I think the boy is for real, after researching I found that his name is Claude and he's from ASA Zooogical Park in Hiroshima.

April 8, 2008—Claude, an Asiatic black bear living in a Japanese zoo, has attracted attention for twirling sticks. The habit could be an act of boredom or play, experts say.

© 2008 National Geographic (AP)

nationalgeographic.com

Asiatic Black bear, Claude who‘s been resident at Asa Zoo for 6 years since he was orphaned when his mum was trapped and killed, is getting some press as a result of his love of spinning sticks. He's recently had his passion for twirling rekindled after a long lay off, to the delight of onlookers,

gethiroshima.blogspot.com

Here is the zoo's website:

asazoo.jp

I'm trying to figure out were to click for more info about the bear...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
if that's fake I would like to shake the hands of the creator because its damn good, I'd say there is about the same chance of that being fake as there is a bear learning how to twirl a stick in a zoo given nothing to do all its life.

EDIT:

Originally posted by One Step Beyond...

April 8, 2008—Claude, an Asiatic black bear living in a Japanese zoo, has attracted attention for twirling sticks. The habit could be an act of boredom or play, experts say.

© 2008 National Geographic (AP)

Holy # this bear is awesome.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Vicious Jones]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join