It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how far can space go

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Im just sitting here thinking about all this space stuff and im wondering something. how far can we travel into space. Ive always wondered this. I mean how far would it go and if it has a end what would stop up from going past that point. There is a satilite that is supposed to be approaching inner steller space where the sun has no real affect. Wonder how far this thing will go. Wouldnt it be wild if it went to the end and then it appeard on the other side of the solar system. Maybe if the big bang is real which i dunno i kinda doubt it.. maybe its always expanding and we could never keep up with how far its reached? Would be like racing a tide that you cant ever get past. maybe time doesnt exist beyond the tide as it ripples through space maybe its making its own time? Maybe where the big bang has a huge huge head start on us we will never find the end?

[edit on 28-5-2010 by gerg357]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gerg357

That is the one question that has always stumped me.

To me, space can't have an end. All my reasoning and logic says that.

It MUST be infinite, I mean what would be at the end? A wall?
And whats behind the wall?

Now I'm not gonna sleep again, thanks....lol

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
As long as you look, there will always be something there.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by gerg357

Maybe space is a sphere like Earth?

Maybe when there is no more SPACE left you will hit a solid wall?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Time/space are infinite. There is nothing at the edge of the universe that will stop you from continuing. Since time/space are infinite, theoretically there are an infinite number of universes out there. So basically, if you could live long enough and travel fast enough, you could exit our universe and travel to other universes...if they exists. Basically the edge of our universe is how far matter has reached after the big bang. The big bang did not create space/time, the big bang (all matter that we know of) expands into space/time.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by A NeWorlDisorder]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by A NeWorlDisorder

Yes and also a lot of other theories are possible.
Like our entire universe in a pendant, aka MIB...
Strange but possible. The mind boggles...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
i heard its like a bubble, expanding all the time. the weird thing though is, if you would travel to the edge, you never reach it. its because the space is bent like the bubble itself. so if you think you flying straight forward towards the edge, in reality you are flying a curve. like a black hole which creates such a big gravity-field, that even light cant escape.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
if you plant a seed in a pot then put that pot in a greenhouse and the greenhouse is in your garden and your garden is in your town and your town is in your county and your county is in your country and your country is in your continent and your continent is in the earth and the earth is in the solar system and the solar system is in our galaxy and our galaxy is in our universe and our universe is in?

I would just suggest that we do not know what our universe is in. It is illogical to me to think at the edge of our universe there is nothing more.

I would hypothesise with no rhyme or reason beyond my own thoughts and feelings that there are lots of universes housed in something else (starsphere) and most probably that this 'starsphere' is in turn in something else again alongside other 'starspeheres'.

The question and scale and scope of the possibilities are so utterly mind boggling for something as small and insignificant as our species in this (from our perspective) absolutely gigantic universe we find ourselves in.

One thing is for sure: we will never know the answer to the question in any of our or our childrens' lifetimes.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I think one of two things, or possibly both at the same time.

I believe space is infinite.

And/or I believe that it could work like those fractal pictures. Like when you go down in size things start to look like mini galaxies/solar systems but i think it's possbile that we could be inside the equivalent of an atom, the universe could be something very very small making up something much larger. Imagine of the universe was an atom on a huge scale, making up some kind of enormous life. Maybe they exist like we do and think that their scale and systems are 'normal' and they live in a greater universe, which is also only macro on the scale of the next step up, and then the next one up from that.

Wild theory but who knows. All i know is that we don't have a clue what the universe is and why it is here, and that the real answers would be mind boggling to us.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I think I heard old Doc Hawkings describe it as looking like a piece of square ravioli endlessly expanding faster and faster, apparently that's the most likely shape for it to assume.

Iv'e always pondered the question; does the increasing speed at which the universe expands exceed that of the speed of light?

Remain Vigilant

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frakkerface
I think one of two things, or possibly both at the same time.

I believe space is infinite.

Wild theory but who knows. All i know is that we don't have a clue what the universe is and why it is here, and that the real answers would be mind boggling to us.

our universe is certainly very finite. thats how we know that it is expanding.

and the poster who said that even if we reached the edge (as its still expanding) we would just move in a circle around the edge while seeming to go straight. just like sailing on earth.

and there is no definitive proof of other universes and you most certainly couldnt go there by sailing past the edge of this universe

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by bonsaisert
I think I heard old Doc Hawkings describe it as looking like a piece of square ravioli endlessly expanding faster and faster, apparently that's the most likely shape for it to assume.

Iv'e always pondered the question; does the increasing speed at which the universe expands exceed that of the speed of light?

Remain Vigilant

good question. I assume a vacuum can travel faster than light since it has no mass

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Remember when the earth was flat and people wanted to see how far they could sail the ocean before they felt off the earth, at the end?

Why must we assume that the universe is a flat piece of something that has an end? maybe it loops itself after a looong while, so it appears to be endless. You know, like that thing with the sheet of paper they show you to demonstrate bending space time. Maybe that happens naturally in space.

just a random theory that came to me.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Great thread, I remember as a child a pastor coming into School Religion class saying "You can ask any question you like any question...but dont ask who made God" that question is unanswerable.
I have this "growing "feeling that space is just a projection, sort of like a video game where you navigate your alien ship billions of km, but you really dont go anywhere but on the screen, and that is also an illusion.
It may be all inside and the projection is like a stretched balloon joined to our minds by our senses?
I think the paradox of what lies beyond the edge of space is pointing us all inside ourselves for the true answer?

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Dr Conspire]

top topics

join