It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek Goof up?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Ive watched many shows on tv about space etc, but can someone explain to me how the people on the shows was able to walk freely in space? What i mean by this is on the ISS i watch on Nasa those people are in space and they are all floating about. So why wouldnt the people on the show be doing the same. I know its filmed here on earth and all but why leave that part out? Or am i missing something here. I just think its odd they have gravity on a ship in outerspace. I posted this here because i didnt know where else to place this..

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by gerg357

Gawd, they have gravity generators!!!
Same as Battlestar Galactica and Stargate series....

BTW, you know its scifi? ie: fiction????

Funny though, I cant believe its the gravity bit that bothers you and not the Transporters or Faster than Light Warp Drives...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
You mean why aren't they floating around when outside the ship or when they're on board?

On board they have gravity generators and outside ship they have budgetary limitations, space travel is very expensive even for tv networks.

Although I think Firefly occasionally did space walks that looked "real".

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Like others have said, gravity generators.

There was one Star Trek movie (I can't recall which one) where they boarded a damaged ship, and they were floating around for a while because the generator was down. Then they put on these magnetic boots so they could walk, I guess because the movie budget was running low.

[edit on 5/28/2010 by minute2midnight]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
yeah. Artificial gravity. Induced either by some kind of gravity generator, or by spinning a ship to produce centrifugal force.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by minute2midnight

Star Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country, Kirk, Spock and McCoy board the Klingon chancellor's ship. One of my favourites of the old films.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

LOL

Yeah, the floating blood and missing boots

To the OP

As everyone has already said... Grav Gen... In fact gravity generators are so widely excepted that a lot of sc-fi writers don’t even bother to explain it anymore... the writers know that people will just assume that that’s what’s keeping everyone grounded!

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Muckster]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
What I found odd was that so many alien women were hot...except for maybe a little additional mass around the nose or eyebrows...or a few spots...or something - and that all alien women instantly swoon when kissed by a human (like Kirk).

And let's not forget the ability of species from entirely different star systems being able to naturally breed...like Vulcans and Earthlings, for example.

Or, that supercomputers capable of running entire planets, creating environments out of thin air, controlling entire populations of intelligent humanoids...can be tricked into overheating, smoking and ultimately exploding themselves because they are working counter to some "prime directive"...again according to Kirk.

But hey, these are also some of the reasons that the original series will always be cool...in a campy sort of way.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gerg357

In the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey", Stanley Kubrick showed very realistic space walking as the space stewardess walked very slowly and carefully, always with one foot on the floor.

Most shows now use some type of gravity devices, although it is rarely talked about. In Star Trek Classic, they have had several episodes where they boarded disabled ships still with the gravity devices on. Either that, or the low budged did not allow for any gravity free effects.

new topics

top topics

join