It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reflections on the Size of the Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
We have seen the following statement (or ones like it) here at this forum and other forums: "The universe is so HUGE that I can't believe that God created it just for man. The universe is full of billions of galaxies with billions of stars. Why would God create all that just for the human race." Usually these postings are done by someone with no particular theistic bent and it seems that the intention of the statements are intended to make Christians slink away in the sunset ashamed of not having a reply. Well here are some thoughts about this.

We do know the following:
1. The earth is not a particularly large planet.
2. The sun is not a particularly large star.
3. Our galaxy is not a particularly large galaxy.

What makes you think that this universe is so huge. Modern physics now allow for the theoretical existence of other universes. What is unknown is the properties of such universes. Our particular universe may be tiny in comparison to those other existences (we simply don't know). We tend to look at things through our perspective. To us 2000 years is a long time; however, to God that is probably just an "eye blink" (2000 years is 0.0002 per cent of a billion years). Have you ever thought that maybe from God's perspective our universe is really pretty small, one of His more minor creations.

The seemingly large size of the universe may also be demonstrations of God's attributes.

1. God is a RBG (Really Big God). Many of the deities of the Greeks, Romans, Norse, etc. were basically an ancient version of Superman. Yes the comic book character Superman would make a good template for many of the ancient deities. Give Superman a hammer and he could be a stand in for Thor. When God created this universe with all its marvels, He may be giving us a subtle message: "This is who you are dealing with. He is not a pipsqueak god like Thor or Zeus, He can create universes in an instant".

2. Material is relatively unimportant to God, God values relationships and fellowship over material. Of all the universe what does God value most? Did the Son of God come here to be crucified to save the universe? No He came here to be a sin atonement so that we could be forgiven of our sins and enter into a fellowship with God. Could God be saying that the people on a small planet orbiting a small sun in a small galaxy are more important than all the material in the universe. Perhaps it may be God's way of saying a relationship with someone (us) is more important than all the material in the universe.

3. Humans tend to stress over material matters. One cannot watch television without seeing rampant advocation of materialism ("buy this gadget and you kitchen problems are solved, buy our car and be the envoy of the neighborhood, use our plan and make millions"). We are constantly being told that we cannot be possibly be happy unless we possess the right credit card, the right car, the right clothes, drink the right stuff, etc. Perhaps the size of the universe is God's way to say not to worry so much about material. Whatever our material needs may be in eternity to come, God could be demonstrating to us that He has more than enough ability to fulfill them whatever they may be.

4. God just loves to create.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jagdflieger
Could God be saying that the people on a small planet orbiting a small sun in a small galaxy are more important than all the material in the universe. Perhaps it may be God's way of saying a relationship with someone (us) is more important than all the material in the universe.

That's an amazing thought, one that I hadn't considered. Thanks for sharing it with me.

I always thought the wonder we see in the sky was to inspire us, make us think outside our little existence here on earth. Make us wonder at the majesty of God.

Anyway great thought.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

I always thought the wonder we see in the sky was to inspire us, make us think outside our little existence here on earth. Make us wonder at the majesty of God.

Glad you linked my posting. Well at least I know one person read it. Your statement reminded me how long it has been since I have really seen stars. I mean out in the wilderness really black looking at stars. Most of us live in urban areas where it is getting harder and harder to see the grandeur of the night side. It is getting to the point where you are lucky to see the full moon. I once was able to do a lot of night fishing away from the city and in areas where the night sky was visible. It gave you a lot of times to reflect. Often I would look into the night sky and think: "God do you really love me". Every once in awhile a little voice would reply: "Indeed I do."

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
This is one of the best posts I've read here in awhile.

Moving.

Thank You!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Well think of it like this.

God knew when mans rebellion would annhilate the planet. So I believe he made it the perfect size to fit our number of people near the end times of this small planet.

we can't reach 100 billion people. How much till the Earth would be over populated?

So he made it the right size IMO to time out mans rebellion and until as the bible and saints say. The number of gentiles come into the Church.

We are absolutely blessed to exist. I mean each and every one of you souls floating on this planet in the middle of nowhere. God chose you to exist.

I'll tell you what. When the world ends and judgement seat comes and we find out the mystery of God it will be an incredible thing.

peace.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by JesusisTruth]

top topics

join