It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Help Us

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I have a yard full of kids, flowers and bees most summers and it's hilarious whenever a new kid comes around because you hear the inevitable banshee cry of "BEEEEEE!!!!!!!". Followed by a chorus of kids repeating my mantra..."If you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone." Eventually, the new kid gets it and all is right in the yard again.

As for miscellaneous bugs in the house, we definitely have a "catch and release" program

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
What do people suggest to do with termites?

It's a little hard to just take them outside where they'll nest underground and find ways to drill into the house.

A Bigger Badder Wolf?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
There is a huge paper mill in my city. The EPD isn't allowed to enter the property without several days notice. Our county was 19 on a list of the most polluted counties in the USA a few years ago.

I owned a water and sewer system and served less than 500 people. EPD would walk in my office anytime they saw fit and my 35 year record with the EPD was without any offense.

The premise of the OP's thread reminds me the mentality of the EPD.

Don't even mention crop dusters, factory pollution, the coal industry, the chemical manufacturing companies and many other extreme sources of insect death.

Why scream about that one person that kills that one bee. Get moving and scream about big factories and strip coal mining killing humans and wildlife.

I plant wild flowers to feed and draw bees to my garden. I love bees, butterflies and lizards. But bite me and I'm going to kill the bee when I take it off my skin.

If a human breaks in my home I'm going to shoot him/her if I feel threatened. I will allow bees to live and do their wondrous magic until they decide I look like a meal. Then it will die.

Humans, insects, fish, fowl and animals, I respect them all and feed them.
But if something becomes aggressive and seems to be about to harm me it is going down quickly.

Lots of bees in my area. They managed to cross pollinate my grapefruit tree and tangerine tree and now I have bitter tangerines and sweet grapefruit. My lemon tree has blossoms on it and the bees are being very busy around it. I wonder what the lemons will taste like this year?

[edit on 24-5-2010 by dizziedame]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
You are right, there is far too much casual killing on Earth currently. But until mans inhumanity to man stops then what chance does the rest of the animal KINGdom stand?

I am seriously having a battle with ants at the moment, trying to reason with them is proving a very interesting experiment. Their numbers since applying verbal logic to their logical brains seems to be producing some positive results.

I pick one as I find them up gently and tell it firmly...

" Now then, you have a home no doubt which I don't invade so please get back in the garden and tell your friends and family to stay there too. Thank you.

I'll let you know if this passive approach works, if you like?

However, if an animal comes into your home and is a stinger or just plain aggressive and no amount of reason seems to work, then you have every right to defend yourself from harm, as with any human invader.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

This struck a chord, and reminded me of two quick stories, if you will indulge me...

Growing up (in a very urban dwelling) I was petrified of anything larger than a dime flying that could sting me. I would even say borderline phobic. Other than providing friends and family with a good laugh, my flailing arms and escape to the nearest opposite direction was commonplace and anticipated with ridicule at backyard gatherings and outdoor brunches. While in University one of my professors hosted a backyard gathering for few of his students. I was among the ten or so invited. His wife had created a stunning oasis of flowers and plant life. It looked like it belonged in an English countryside not in the middle of a busy city. Alongside the back fence a row of blooming raspberry bushes hosted what looked to me like an entire swarm of honey bees. It took more than coaxing to get me to step foot outside. Once I did, I found myself sitting in one of those large Adirondac chairs with the wide arm-rests, and low and behold it wasn’t two minutes before a little bee landed within inches of my arm. While scanning my escape route I found my professor blocking my exit. He looked down and advised me to observe the bee. He held out his finger and started to PET the back side of his fuzzy black and yellow coat. I sat frozen in shock. He said “they’re drunk on pollen, they’re not interested in you. Go ahead. Pet him! He won’t mind.” I did as I was told, and it felt other-worldly. It stumbled around the arm-chair, not entirely annoyed by my interference. His front leg came up and stroked the chair as I patted his back. And then he was on his way.

This experience changed me forever. I was so buried in fear that these little things COULD sting me, that I never stopped to get close enough to give them the chance not to. They have proven themselves to be most oblivious to me; I have adored them ever since.

Years later while working, I was on my way back to my office when I bumped into a colleague having a smoke break. It was late fall, and I noticed a small bee staggering perilously close to her feet. I warned her to be careful not step on it… in that moment she turned around and went out of her way to STOMP on it. I actually shrieked with grief. She laughed, and asked why I over-reacted. She informed me that she had done it a favour: the season was ending. I immediately launched into a verbal attack, advising her that watching her go out of her way to destroy something so small pointed to a major character flaw in her: her poignant disrespect and lack of value on the whole was abhorrent to me.

I believe life whether big or small deserves respect, and has a right to be here. Everything serves a function, whether we appreciate it or not.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Bee's are usually smarter than flies, if you guide it towards an open window etc it usually gets the idea and escapes. Flies are just wide and go everywhere except where you want it to go, so i kill them. Spiders i kill as well, my patience is not infinite, if something enters my habitat it will have to deal with the natural consequences. Simple as that.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Solomons]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Well I have something you will like then.
I saved a bee today in the pool and I am highly allergic to them. I have saved them before when they fly in there. I get the bee out with my flip flop and then put it on my book where it dries itself off and then flies away. I don't like to kill any bug, animal, insect and so on. I am terrified of spiders but I still can't kill them, although I can't say that I haven't before. I have saved numerous bugs or insects from certain death from people around me. I know they have a right to live their life too. They are still doing their part on the planet and at least they aren't destroying it like our species. They should be stomping on us!

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I won't and don't kill an insect unless it has a bad reputation for spreading disease - such as the roach or mosquito. A bee is busy pollenating and making nature beautiful - I would crab a cup to capture it in my home. I suppose it depends on the circumstances sometimes, such as if you were about to be stung or bitten by a snake, etc. but please don't go out of your way to kill anything as they all serve a purpose.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom or Death

Now imagine a group of Beings repeating what you just said. Except imagine they were talking about You and your kind.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

my sister has the most magical garden

it's wild looking - and very tall. At the height of summer it's so thick with flowers you can't see through it from one end to the other

in the center is a small patch of grass next to a small but lovely water garden

on a hot day, if you lie there on your back - you can't hear the city because of the the wall of plants that surrounds you - and the insects

mostly bees. There are dragonflies, beetles - all kinds of insects flying or crawling that I can't identify - but mostly bees

and so many different kinds...thousands and thousands. All busy

:-)

it's true - bees are really very busy most of the time - and if you leave them alone... I’ve never been stung once in that garden

the sound is amazing - and peaceful

two summers ago – there were noticeably fewer bees in her yard. Sad and alarming. Last summer was much better. It’s early – but looks like they are well on their way to making up for their absence – they’re everywhere

It’s wonderful to have them back

I don’t understand killing things just to kill them

[edit on 5/25/2010 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
You think it's bad to kill one Bee I personally hate all insects and I don't even have to give it a second thought if I see one it's dead I'd love to see the government doing something serious about the pests like a whole countrywide spray.

People say we couldn't survive without them but that is nonsense anyone with hay fever can tell you pollen will get around just fine on it's own.

My advice is if anyone see's a hive flame it.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by winterwarlock
You think it's bad to kill one Bee I personally hate all insects and I don't even have to give it a second thought if I see one it's dead I'd love to see the government doing something serious about the pests like a whole countrywide spray.

People say we couldn't survive without them but that is nonsense anyone with hay fever can tell you pollen will get around just fine on it's own.

My advice is if anyone see's a hive flame it.

I'm truly sorry that you feel that way. Bees play a critical role in pollinating many of our crops, that's why farms actually IMPORT them to do the work. It is insects that take care of dead animals and remove all but the bones. It is ants that enrich the soil by bringing subsoil to the surface and allowing water to percolate downwards into the water table where you and I get our drinking water.
There are literally hundreds of things that insects do that are beneficial to mankind that few ever bother to even think about.
Without insects, we would die. Most of us anyway. You don't even have to be thankful, how about just letting them be?
Practicality aside, I find them amazing as pieces of design. Every one is so unique and built for certain purposes. It is through nature that I see the hand of God at work. I never found God through reading any books I can assure you of that.
I wish you could feel the wonder that I do when I encounter insects. I feel like there is magic at work and all is right with the world.
You cannot fight nature and win. You can only accept it for what is and try to live in grace. I wish you well my friend

top topics

<< 1   >>

join