It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim anger prompts Pakistan to block Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Muslim anger prompts Pakistan to block Facebook

news.yahoo.com

LAHORE, Pakistan – Pakistan's government ordered Internet service providers to block Facebook on Wednesday amid anger over a page that encourages users to post images of Islam's Prophet Muhammad.

The page on the social networking site has generated criticism in Pakistan and elsewhere because Islam prohibits any images of the prophet. The government took action after a group of Islamic lawyers won a court order Wednesday requiring officials to block Facebook until May 31.

By Wednesday evening, access to the site was sporadic, apparently because Internet providers were implementing the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I found this rather hilarious. I don't think anyone with true faith would be 'corrupted' by criticism of their religion. The muslim world just keeps showing the rest of us how backwards it truly is, and the fact that drawing a picture of their 'prophet' is such an issue makes me think most followers of Islam are incredibly weak minded. Thoughts?

PS I believe facebook has now taken down the page. Bravo, way to give in to the crazies.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Yup, Facebook took it down, though it was up most of the day.......way to cave in to these animals. Ah well, there s always next year, alot of the pics were funny.........glad I saved some of them.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
They are lucky FB is blocked. Too bad it's not blocked here

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Yeah I sort of agree. I started a Facebook account to join a group I believed in, had a few women I know add me and haven't been back since. I would rather get in touch with people 'the old fashioned way' like email.

Whatever your feelings on facebook are, banning an entire nation from viewing the site seems excessive. Especially considering the reason the site was banned in the first place. I don't see muslims crying for boycotts against QFC even though they sell pork, so why freak out over something like this?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

China banned it too. Hardly a reason to call an entire group of people animals. There are some, including one already, who will use this to attack all Muslims.

edit: I'm not Muslim, but I imagine it is more offensive to depict (especially in a derogatory way) their prophet, that it would be to seel pork. Not eating pork is not central to the religion

[edit on 20-5-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I don't think that not drawing the prophet is central to the religion either. That is actually why I used the pork example. I think it's cute you singled me out as a bigot. I take issue with the religion on many fronts. I am not ashamed of this in the least. I also believe that there are many decent muslims. I suppose I should not have used the word 'most', but I will leave it unedited. I did make some unfair generalizations, and I am sorry if I offended. At the same time, I think that a state banning a website is rather telling of a large portion of the religion.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

No, no, I did not mean you. The poster below you called Muslims "animals." Sorry I made that unclear. I have no issue with you.

Personally, I don't understand fully why Muslims get so upset. As a Christian, I get mad when I see depictions of Jesus in disgusting situations, but I try my best to ignore it. I wonder if most Muslims do the same and we only hear about the ones who raise a stink

edit: I think Pakistan did this to avoid al-Qaeda accusing the government of siding with the West.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Oh I am sorry, for some reason the other post escaped me when replying. Did some weedwhacking today and got a chunk of who knows what stuck in my eye. Been a little distracted pawing at it. I appreciate your comments, and would still if they were directed at me. I learn more from people who disagree with me than anyone else.

MBF

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
You guys not going to post any of the nice pictures? Line 2.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Muslims are too touchy, I mean seriously it's a crappy cartoon who really gives a #? Stop crying over a picture that took 2 minutes to create and start being concerned over real problems, especially in a asshole of a country like Pakistan.

[edit on 20/5/10 by WishForWings]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by WishForWings

I believe the government did this also to distract its citizens. I doubt all Muslims freak out about these cartoons, though I don't know why south park and others feel the need to draw them.

top topics

join