It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Leak in Gulf 3000 Times Worse Than Oil Leak

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

I hate BP,
And I want kick all our asses for not demanding that we use safer and cleaner fuel sources.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AndersonLee

That satellite image you posted as a link only shows the oil on the surface. There is a lot more that is under the surface that is not being picked up by the satellite.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Methane is a greenhouse gas, and cows are already blamed for being worse than vehicles. I'm curious how this one well relates to cows, and vehicles for greenhouse gas emissions and a later effect on global warming.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by freeradical1
the drilling phase was almost complete,the next phase would be production,no oil or gas was produced at the time of accident

I think you are confused with the recent Venezuela oil rig..

This rig was very much active. If the drilling was not yet complete oil and gas would not have been coming up the pipeline.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Yet we still support a system that encourages the use of gas.

When monks renounce their life to start their spiritual journey they often chose a path which creates less suffering.

I would like to see the world get off gas all at once and shift our energy consumption towards one of the 4 healthy mediums especially geothermal energy.

A lot of people say things like "That will never happen ever". Well friends here it is every single event and everyday. The downside of some of these events is that most news is pre-filtered turning a mass murderer into a cute cookie monster. Hopefully people understand their consumption and its dangers to society.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Well, that could be the reason for why all the sea animals (jelly fish, dolphins, turtles, etc...) were found dead on the beach, but with no traces of oil on them. I kept thinking maybe it was the chemicals they were spraying, but it could very well have been the natural gas.

Our media outlets should be ashamed of themselves. Whatever happened to investigative journalism? Oh, yeah...it was replaced by corporate journalism. (Here's today's news....report it.)

[edit on 19-5-2010 by nikiano]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AndersonLee

The oceans are our so called last frontier. When they are gone, we are gone!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by PositivelyDetermined

Which is worse, petroleum or nuclear power? The truth is that either are both good/bad depending upon how it is used, for peaceful purposes or hostile purposes, all according to the user. Accidents happen...chernobyl happened, the oil spills happen, man abuses his use of said products due to either negligence or incompetence. Both have proved to be an asset many times. It is foolish to blame a candle for starting a fire and then removing all candles simply because someone fell asleep at the wheel.

There is really no need to panic, but the worst must be accepted and acknowledged so that it can be correctedl. The worst is the leak without immediately making repairs and fixing it. Somehow or other BP got the pipe there so somehow or other they can repair it.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Thanks for posting. Do you think that the ocean could become flammable?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Hey,

So I found this article, and it made me curious: What if they were actually mining the gas, and not the oil? This article is from last summer, and I dunno - it gave me chills. I hoping someone with a little more insight on the subject could verify the strangeness of this article in relation to this event. Because it seems like that could have been why they were there in the first place, and why they are calling for so much more off shore drilling.

(Please note that in the article, it says that "Standard oil and gas drilling equipment was used to reenter an old well drilled to a depth of 3,500 feet and then "refurbish" it by casing the entire well with lengths of steel tubing that cemented into place in order to prevent it from collapsing." Was this just a failed attempt?)

www.technologyreview.com...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JewelFlip

WOW nice find! This could bring a lot of things into perspective. I read your link in entirety, and that would make sense that they may have been drilling specifically for hydrate reserves. Didn't I hear somewhere that this rig was a new, high-tech one of some kind?

Funnily enough, after a quick Google search, I have learned that hydrate mining is a new field, still very much in experimental stages with the goal of using these methane ice deposits as a source of energy.

Heres a Naval Research Lab link with a nice tidbit... www.nrl.navy.mil......

Especially THIS:

Introduction: Over the last decade, large deposits of methane hydrates have been identified along the world continental margins. Frozen mixtures of hydrocarbon gas (mostly methane) and water occur over large areas of the ocean floor and vastly exceed other carbon-energy reservoirs. With a maximum content of 164 m3 of methane and 0.8 m3 of water at standard temperature and pressure per cubic meter of hydrate and an estimated range of 26 to 139 X 1015 m3 globally, this is a significant new energy source. The content of methane in hydrates is variable and is controlled by geothermal gradients and biological methane production. International research has begun, with a primary goal of obtaining the methane in these hydrates as an energy source.

This requires a broad range of scientific efforts to address the methane hydrate presence, develop mining strategies, and predict the impact on the environment and platform stability. The Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) has developed strong research topics regarding methane hydrates over the last 30 years. NRL has unique field and laboratory expertise that couples physical, chemical, and biological parameters to address methane hydrate distribution, formation, and stability. Recent, current, and planned field work is active on the Texas-Louisiana Shelf in the Gulf of Mexico, Nankai Trough off the eastern coast of Japan, Blake Ridge in the northwestern Atlantic Ocean, the Cascadia Margin in the northeastern Pacific Ocean, and the Haakon-Mosby Mud Volcano (MV) in the Norwegian-Greenland Sea.

I'll do a little more digging and see what I find. We may need a new thread, which I would be willing to author, possible conspiracy in cover-up of the intentions of this mining and the risks they well knew about.

NEXUS

[edit on 19-5-2010 by NoEXcUseS]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by CalibratedZeus

Originally posted by freeradical1
the drilling phase was almost complete,the next phase would be production,no oil or gas was produced at the time of accident

I think you are confused with the recent Venezuela oil rig..

This rig was very much active. If the drilling was not yet complete oil and gas would not have been coming up the pipeline.

This well had NOT been converted to production, it was in the final phases of drilling before production could begin. The article is wrong in the OP, which begs the integrity of all of it. However, the fact is yes, there was a massive amount of gas in this discovery. Google gCaptain go to "FORUMS" then to the "OFFSHORE" section, and see the thread in a forum of REAL offshore oilmen about the Deepwater Horizon and the oil "spill". I would suggest people respect the thread.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by odd1out]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate

There is 3000 times more natural gas coming out of the leak than oil. The damage of the massive amounts of Gas being released into the gulf is worse than the oil.

Oxygen levels in some areas have dropped 30 percent, and should continue to drop, Joye said.
"It could take years, possibly decades, for the system to recover from an infusion of this quantity of oil and gas," Joye said. "We've never seen anything like this before. It's impossible to fathom the impact."

The Federal Minerals Management Service (MMS) contracted a study to see how badly a deep water drilling oil spill would deplete the gulf of oxygen. this study underestimated the current leak by a factor of 26. It was NOT peer reviewed and did not consider that the damage would occur at depth greater than 700 meters. In other words, the determination of the potential impact of deep water drilling on the ecosystem by the federal agency that regulates these activities was a TOTAL SHAM.

A BP executive stated that they were removing 3000:1 gas to oil at the well before the explosion. (thats 3000 cubic feet of gas for every barrel of oil) The amount of oil leaking into the gulf is 25,000 to 70,000 barrels.

a 3000:1 ratio would mean 75 - 210 million cubic feet of gas per day being released.
There is 5.64 cubic feet of gas per barrel.

That would mean there is 13.3 to 37.2 million "barrels" of gas being released each day.
(note: this is at standard atmospheric temp and pressure. At the ocean floor and 2,400 pounds per square inch, this gas is compressed by a factor of of over 1000 and will expand as it rises. So, in the video coming out of the pipe it looks like 75,000 to 210,000 barrels of gas per day.

rense.com...
Second Article on this

This goes on to say that this amount of natural gas that is being released can and will lead to the death of most all of the deep water sea life in the Gulf Of Mexico. And then backs it all up with factual evidence and mathematical calculations that blow the "official" reports out of the water. No pun intended.

Why is this not being addressed by the MSM?
It is barely even mentioned. And I am still seeing CNN talk about only 5,000 or so barrels of oil a day are being released. I think we have seen sufficient evidence to know this is a way under intentionally misrepresented estimate.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by webpirate]

More fear mongering. I had my doubts that this incident was a 'screw up'...its obvious to me it was a conspiracy.

The government did it.

The worst part is they knew the folks on ATS and other conspiracy sites would go ballistic.....they essentially used your paranoia against you.

They knew you would by making up apocalypse scenerios and would essentially fear monger so they would not have to.

Pathetic ATS members...pathetic.

Its now obvious this was a ploy by certain people in the government to shift public opinion against offshore drilling and eventually in the favor of nuclear or wind and sun power.

Which is pathetic that none of you have even realized your falling into the trap.....your panicking and saying "all life in gulf will be dead arghhhhhhh!!!"

Look up the gulf of tonkin.....this is just like that except one thing.....there is no nation we are going to war with. But its used the same way...to sway public opinion.

Congradulations ATS members....you are now sheep.

Deny ignorance my donkey!!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Found another good article which shows that for many years the oil industry has well known about the dangers of drilling in regions containing methane hydrate deposits, and that the area the Horizon rig was drilling in was notorious for pockets. Of course, it's looking more and more like they may have been drilling for them in the first place.

Then again, it could just be their sheer lack of concern for safety and one-upmanship and just damn ego and pride driving them with wanton abandon...

Anyway here it is, read the whole thing: www.miamiherald.com...

[edit on 19-5-2010 by NoEXcUseS]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauempire

The government did it.

The worst part is they knew the folks on ATS and other conspiracy sites would go ballistic.....they essentially used your paranoia against you.

They knew you would by making up apocalypse scenerios and would essentially fear monger so they would not have to.

Its now obvious this was a ploy by certain people in the government to shift public opinion against offshore drilling and eventually in the favor of nuclear or wind and sun power.

Which is pathetic that none of you have even realized your falling into the trap.....your panicking and saying "all life in gulf will be dead arghhhhhhh!!!"

Look up the gulf of tonkin.....this is just like that except one thing.....there is no nation we are going to war with. But its used the same way...to sway public opinion.

So let me see if I'm understanding you.

The Government, Blew up a Oil Rig.. Killing 11 men...Spewing 60,000

Barrels of Oil a Day into the Gulf... So a FEW People in a Chat Room would

Over React.. to Impose their Hidden Agenda of Alternative Energy,,?

Is that what you are saying??

....................................................................................................

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Sean48]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tauempire

Please do not shame the name of my glorious Tau Empire with the ridiculous nonsense you are spewing.

If you read ANY of the links given you would see that these methane deposits are highly volatile and the industry still has no effective means of dealing with them...yet the drill into it anyway.

...Now I'll have to kill twice as many Orkz to regain my honor...thanks.

NEXUS

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Tau Empire thank you for giving me the largest laugh and simultaneous headache in quite a long time. Congratz.

I also give kudos to disinformation that is everywhere to create a response this fantastic.

Clearly this shows just how far gone many are, even if they are joking.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

Originally posted by tauempire

The government did it.

So let me see if I'm understanding you.

The Government, Blew up a Oil Rig.. Killing 11 men...Spewing 60,000

Barrels of Oil a Day into the Gulf... So a FEW People in a Chat Room would

Over React.. to Impose their Hidden Agenda of Alternative Energy,,?

Is that what you are saying??

....................................................................................................

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Sean48]

Yes thats exactly what im stating. Obama does not want offshore drilling.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoEXcUseS
reply to post by tauempire

Please do not shame the name of my glorious Tau Empire with the ridiculous nonsense you are spewing.

If you read ANY of the links given you would see that these methane deposits are highly volatile and the industry still has no effective means of dealing with them...yet the drill into it anyway.

...Now I'll have to kill twice as many Orkz to regain my honor...thanks.

NEXUS

Im more fond of the imperium myself.....but it was taken by somebody.

I read the links....but still think the government did it. even if there is a environment danger...the government did it to sway public opinion.

I just dont like fearmongering.

People accused glenn beck of 'fear-mongering' by stating that the US might collapse....but you guys are talking 'every life in the gulf could die'.

I just dont see it happening.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by tauempire]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I'm not really sure why anyone would try to minimalise what has occurred as to think this event will not have global consequences, especially if it allowed to continue, would be very naive..incidentally I took note of what Mr Rockefeller stated on MSM UK News ITC News @ 10 "that these companies/corporations put profit before safety is just the way of the world".
If we think this will never be allowed to happen again we are wrong unless we make sure that is so, by removing such as he from positions where they can influence...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join