It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi arrested for 'Cup plot'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Saudi arrested for 'Cup plot'

www.citizen.co.za

JOHANNESBURG - A possible terrorist threat to the Fifa World Cup, due to begin in 23 days, has been averted.

Merely days after The Citizen reported that terrorist group al-Qaeda or its affiliates might be planning an attack on the sporting spectacle, the arrest of a senior Saudi army officer will no doubt leave many worried.

The Iraqi army yesterday announced the arrest of the officer who was reportedly plotting to launch attacks at the tournament.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.eyewitnessnews.co.za
news.iafrica.com

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I read that the World Cup is a big target for extremists because of the World focus during this time.
South Africa is not used to terrorism so we are potentially an easy target.
We also have a large Muslim community with quite a few sympathisers - terrorists will find it easy to blend into our multi-cultural society.

Let's just hope that this latest plot was the only one being planned.

www.citizen.co.za
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
In other news, there were riots in Atlanta and Philadelphia after it was announced that McDonalds were going to charge for their ketchup.

A spokesman for the "We Have A Right To Free Ketchup" Group said that nobody cared about terrorism anymore. This was the real issue.

Sorry, I am just astonished that ATS members appear to be ignoring this thread.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember

A spokesman for the "We Have A Right To Free Ketchup" Group said that nobody cared about terrorism anymore.

First off I take the statement above as being more of a joke.
Second the details of the arrest in regards to the world cup seem to be pretty vague. If the threat is real I do hope it was the only one. But since it was just in planning stage I am sure several other know about it. They will all have to be found for the threat to really be stopped.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Not sure what impacts it would have on SA if an event occured.

Tho it seems some sporting matches have been targets in Iraq and Pakistan of late. Could be practice runs for potential attacks on the World cup matches (what do I know? not a lot in this regard)

Lets hope nothing happens... but much speculation of real threats/false flags usually surrounds any major event like the world cup of late.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
A prime target will be the England vs United States on June the 16th I think. Kind of like a buy one get one free for terrorists. I'm pretty sure the security will be pretty tight at this one.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Yes, the "Free Ketchup Group" is just a joke. I was just thinking to myself - imagine of this had been the Super Bowl. The amount of posts, accusations, and indignation would have occupied several threads with hundreds of replies.

But because it is South Africa, nobody seems to give a hoot.

[edit on 18/5/2010 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

From what I have read, you are exactly right. The game in Cape Town between US and England was a target.
There is also at least one radical muslim group based on the Cape Flats - and they have planted bombs before.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

reply to post by RedGolem

Yes, the "Free Ketchup Group" is just a joke. I was just thinking to myself - imagine of this had been the Super Bowl. The amount of posts, accusations, and indignation would have occupied several threads with hundreds of replies.

[edit on 18/5/2010 by deltaalphanovember]

Or is it simply that it is football?? I think you'd find that same response if this had been the 20/20 world cup... tho that was a prime target to..

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Thanks for posting. I caught the story and wondered about the repeated denials of knowledge of said threats.

From Iraq? Nope, doesn't sound right IMHO. Maybe though, i would also have thought any assets would be in place already (?)

We know they want to, it would be an easy victory.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I don't think its nobody gives a hoot. I think it is because nothing has happened yet its not news yet. I say that is reference to the main stream media.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
What I don't understand is why, when they "thwart" these "proposed" terror attacks before they are planned to happen; why do they then go and publically announce it? What if the thwarted group was just a cell, known or unknown, of a larger organization that may have funded for masterminded the attacks in the first place. Doesn't announcements like this pretty much tell them their initial plans failed, and give them time to create an alternate one. at least wait till after the expected date to announce it, or why announce it at all. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Jihad.

Remember, Jihad is generative of the Islamic system itself. Jihad is not a response from outside aggression or anything non-msulims do. Jihad is generative of the Islamic system itself. Repeat this until you understand.

It is the reason why muslims jihad against other muslims.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

Jihad is generative of the Islamic system itself. Repeat this until you understand.

What is this? Barney the Dinosaur?

Propaganda. Dr. Goebbels. Repeat ad nauseum until you make the connection between those two terms and what you're being fed in the Mainstream Media.

This whole article sounds like Washington's last-ditch, lame-duck attempt to reinforce in people's minds that there still is some connection between Al-Qaeda and Iraq.

The Iraqi army yesterday announced the arrest of the officer who was reportedly plotting to launch attacks at the tournament.

Major General Quassem Atta, the head of Iraqi Army security operations in the Baghdad area, announced that the Saudi national was arrested two weeks ago.

I mean honestly... it's just showboating how some small potatoes plot was "discovered" to try and smooth over any friction about event being held in South Africa.

The world's leading nation in rape, car-jackings and murders per capita since 1998.

Seems to me like a major publicity stunt for the Tourism Industry in South Africa, which is about to receive it's biggest cash injection ever, and it's hinging on non-existent evidence.

Always the dollars, always the friggin' dollars.

[edit on 18/5/10 by The Godfather of Conspira]

top topics

join