It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kagan's Abortion Views?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

In fact, one of the most eloquent statements regarding the importance of knowing more about a Supreme Court nominee comes from Kagan herself when, in a 1994 article, she called on the Senate to embrace "the essential rightness -- the legitimacy and the desirability -- of exploring a Supreme Court nominee's set of constitutional views and commitments." And we, rightly, deserve to know more about Kagan's views. We deserve to know, for example, her position on Roe v Wade, and whether she sees the issue of a woman's right to choose as settled law, especially at a point in time when there are so many anti-choice missiles being fired off by states like Nebraska and Oklahoma aimed directly for the Supreme Court. But we are left reading tea leaves, or rather old memos from her stint in the Clinton White House. And these don't necessarily provide comfort. Does she, as some of the memos suggest, feel it is ok to whittle away those rights through increasingly narrow circumstances in which women can choose to terminate a pregnancy?

While the author and I have differing opinions on abortion, I thought that she raised an excellent point. I think that we have a right to know Kagan's stance on this issue. Before a person is put on the Supreme Court, we should have some transparency. I would like to know Kagan's views on a number of things, this being one of the top.

Link

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Raustin]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Wait, someone's been nominated?

Great. never heard a thing.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

You are not supposed to hear anything.

The only interviews being done are being done by White House staff. Videotaped and released online and to specific media outlets.

Nothing like open and transparent!

join