It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State to force stores to post graphic signs vs. smoking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

State to force stores to post graphic signs vs. smoking

Massachusetts is poised to become the first state in the nation to force retailers to prominently display graphic warnings about the perils of smoking right where cigarettes are sold — at tobacco sales racks and next to cash registers. Photo Gallery Graphic tobacco posters Graphic tobacco posters Images of ominously darkened lungs, damaged brains, and diseased teeth could start appearing before the end of the year in more than 9,000 convenience stores, pharmacies, and gas stations, if a proposal by the state Department of Public Health is approved as expected. Other posters would direct smokers to where they can get help to stamp out their habit. Retailers who refuse to display the signs within 2 feet of tobacco displays and cash registers could face fines of $100 to $300. A retail industry group reacted yesterday with dismay, arguing that cramped corner stores are already burdened by too many regulatory dictums. The initiative needs the approval of the state Public Health Council — an appointed panel of doctors, disease trackers, and consumer activists — but board members yesterday expressed unequivocal support. Since the 1990s, Massachusetts has been at the vanguard of US efforts to reduce tobacco use, the leading cause of preventable deaths in the United States.

Link

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Shouldn't stop there.

Pictures of Cirrhosis at the Liquor Store.
Brain Tumors at Cell Phone retailers.
An STD chart next to the condoms.
A picture of somebody drowning at your local swim clubs?

More regulation and fines; won't stop a large percentage of people smoking who weren't already trying to quit.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I am all for States enacting anti smoking campaigns, but IMO this is going too far. I don't want to be bombarded with gruesome pictures when I'm shopping. I'm sure parents don't want to have their children seeing this either. I would have no problem with smoking cessation information being included with tobacco POS advertising but do we really need shock images? So strange to me that the Govt. is able to make something like this mandatory.

On a side note what is this going to cost? I think the money would be better spent in early childhood education.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Raustin]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This is outrageous BS!
Tobbaco is a legal product, we still have freedom of choice in America, the state has no business nagging people.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

I'm a smoker but I think that educating smokers about the health risks etc is important. That being said, I think this is a huge waste of money and that any money gained from the taxation of cigarettes should fund early education as previously stated.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Why don't they just ban it outright ? Oh yeah I forgot. The money.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Is there a person alive today in the U.S. that doesn't know smoking is bad for them and quite possibly may kill them?

What's next, are people going to have to listen to a 30 second PSA on how smoking will kill them every time they buy a pack?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
We already have graphic pictures on cigarette and rolling tobacco packets here in the uk, a dead body, a black lung, a guy with his throat all messed up etc. Basically what they are proposing. I don't even notice them anymore ie it doesn't stop people smoking and i don't know any smoker that it has influenced to stop.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Solomons]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

You forgot my personal favourite the smoking baby. As if smoking around a baby will effect it. My parents smoked around me and it had no effect at all. Well apart from fact I'm now a drug smoking, alcoholic.
Seriously though your right these tactics don't make a difference. The shock value soon wares off.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I thought it was a bit much when we got them here in the UK on cigarette packaging. There were already text warnings on all packets, and many other campaigns to educate people on the dangers. I think the government can only do so much, they shouldn't be able to make me look at shock images all day.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
They seem to be taking a lead from the Australian government

Since 2006 there have been Health Warnings ON the cigarette packets over here - every brand and pouch of tobacco must by law have a health warning of some sort.

Sourced: en.wikipedia.org...
Here are the assorted warning labels which are bolded and on top of the packets:

Smoking causes peripheral vascular disease
Smoking causes emphysema
Smoking causes mouth and throat cancer
Smoking clogs your arteries
Don't let children breathe your smoke
Smoking - A leading cause of death
Quitting will improve your health
Smoking harms unborn babies
Smoking causes blindness
Smoking causes lung cancer
Smoking causes heart disease
Smoking doubles your risk of stroke
Smoking is addictive
Tobacco smoke is toxic
Smoking worsens asthma.

Add to this an accompanying picture - like gangrene feet, green teeth, an oxygen mask etc, and the packet is very graphic.

The tobacco companys cannot use words like light, mild, extra mild either on the packets.

On Jan 2011 they will ban any form of advertising on the packet: they will ban all forms of branding logos, colours, promotional texts from cigarette pack designs and reduce the style to plain packs showing only brand name and health warning messages.

If presently in your Country USA, or State, they are planning by law to have these health signs, it would not suprise me that this graphic cigarette packaging will at some stage follow.

Statistically in Australia, from 2006, the numbers show a reduction in smokers since the campaign was launched. But, also at the same time, the prices rose on cigs and the tax was changed, making cigarettes more expensive. Another recent hike in cigarette pricing (average $2.50 per packet) has been added, and over the next 3 years another $6.00 will be added to the cost of a packet.

The increased money from the tax will go to support the new 'health system' in Australia which is being put through by the government and laid out over the next few years. Smokers are being targeted and taxed because they pose more health risks (not my words).

So, you have a new Health Sysytem too? Watch then for taxes to rise on cigs to pay for the Health System - and watch for the stigmatization and finger-pointing at smokers who dont give up. They will target the 'addictive' produce and 'necessities' becasue they know it is a guarenteed source of revenue ... people will pay because it is difficult to give up ...

and no, they dont have a mangled car accident picture on a bottle of beer or wine ...

and as an additive: The graphic pictures on the packs (with exception of peoples faces) are photographs of prosthetics - they're not real teeth, nor feet etc. I saw the foot they use as the 'prop' (on the Australian Cigarette packaging) in a display at an international MakeUp and Special Effects Conference last year from the company who made it. Until then, I thought they were real - stupid me.

Smigs

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Wow I had no idea they did that in the UK. Thanks for the insight. Disturbing pictures certainly will not deter me, the only thing that will is if the price keeps going up. Smokes are almost $8 a pop where I live. It's getting a bit much. Health issues be damned, I could be spending my cig money on strippers.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
In the UK we've had hardcore offensive images of smoke damage for a couple of years. Nobody ever looks at them...

I smoke because women find it sexy. Mouth and lung cancer is just a false flag operation by TPTB who are too scared to try it and get jealous by the attention us smokers get. Shades and a Marlboro 'full fat' cigarette drives the gals wild.

Illuminati losers are intimidated by the great truths of smoking...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2b8aa1c4fece.jpg[/atsimg]

Let's not forget the NAZIs were against smoking. Evil scum! Anti-smoking is just Neo-Nazism making a come back. Smoke if you're a Patriot!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/83ece4eae74d.jpg[/atsimg]

Every smoke is a tribute to freedom! Hell yeah!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Smiggle

Well we have to warnings on the packs already, that doesn't bug me at all.

As far as the tax goes, here in WA state we just got a new $1 per pack tax hike. Hell I don't even mind that too much because I can afford it. I just feel bad for the the low income addicts out there (I think people with less capital have a higher propensity to be smokers).

Kandinsky: I always laugh when I see that picture. And despite the obvious sarcasm smoking has gotten me some ladies numbers. Always good to have that familiar bulge in your pocket

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Raustin]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Smokes are almost $8 a pop where I live.

My cigs are $23-25 per packet in Australia - and our dollar isnt that far behind yours ... and they're the 'cheap' brand - they sell them in packs of 50. If you smoke a better branded brand, you can pay $15.50 average for 25 cig packet.

[edit on 13/5/10 by Smiggle]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Smiggle

You have got to be freaking kidding me. Man I thought my habit was expensive here. Alright new question for everyone. What does a pack of cigs cost where you live?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Well we have to warnings on the packs already, that doesn't bug me at all.

Do you have the pictures too on packets?

As far as the tax goes, here in WA state we just got a new $1 per pack tax hike. Hell I don't even mind that too much because I can afford it. I just feel bad for the the low income addicts out there (I think people with less capital have a higher propensity to be smokers).

Yes, I have very limited funds, and I know of some who have gone to pouch tobacco to help with the cost, but I know some people who wont be giving up, but they are in worst situations than me financially, they're as addicted as anyone. An addict wont be deterred from their addiction due to their bank balance - I know, Im a smoker

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Kandinsky: I always laugh when I see that picture. And despite the obvious sarcasm smoking has gotten me some ladies numbers. Always good to have that familiar bulge in your pocket

More irony...I'm a smoker...and yeah...going outside to share a smoke has it's rewards sometimes

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

About £5.30 for a cheap brand in the UK. £6.20 for a decent brand. Or if you know the right fella in the pub about £4.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by badvok123
Why don't they just ban it outright ? Oh yeah I forgot. The money.

Absolutely!

I have a theory that the amount of tax on cigarettes and the price a packet is now in Australia is because the campaign worked - people gave up - and so the revenue dropped drastically as people weren't buying cigs anymore. The new increases just introduced, and the ones planned to be passed over the next 6 years are making up the taxes and MONEY the government needs because people quit, and the revenue gained from smokers was that significant to the Goverments budgets and finances.

Yeah, its the money.

Smigs

top topics

<<   2 >>

join