It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scroogle has been blocked!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Scroogle has been blocked!

www.scroogle.org

We regret to announce that our Google scraper may have to be permanently retired, thanks to a change at Google. It depends on whether Google is willing to restore the simple interface that we've been scraping since Scroogle started five years ago. Actually, we've been using that interface for scraping since Google-Watch.org began in 2002.

This interface (here's a sample from years ago) was remarkably stable all that time. During those eight years there were only about five changes that required some programming adjustments. Also, this interface was available at every Google data center i
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

WTF!

Sorry mods but this is a well deserving thread that we should throw curse words at!

I can't believe that this search engine has been disabled!
I am completely alarmed that Google has been able to achieve this!

My thoughts:
This is the beginning of something...

Unless these guys figure out another way to anonymously search for things, users of Scroogle are screwed.

I guess the people at Google think that everything you search for should be recorded for later use.

www.scroogle.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Yeah, tried searching this morning and found out. I have been using scroogle for ages, hopefully it's only temporary and the situation is resolved.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Solomons]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

This infuriates me!
I have used scroogle for years also, and I am currently looking for a new search engine that DOESN'T record searches.

There is absolutely no reason for any search engine to record searches.
None.

That is why the Internet is so open.
It was made that way.

I guess the coming Internet blockage might be starting after all!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
For people like me, what was scroogle?

Why was it more important than a normal google search?

CX

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
For people like me, what was scroogle?

Why was it more important than a normal google search?

Me too....i've never heard of it.

CX.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
CRAZY.

Let me bethe first to say, Ididnt even know what scroogle was. I never used it myself.

So I did GOOGLE search on SCROOGLE.

This is the first thing that pops up..

Scroogle
An ad-free Google search proxy which prevents the searcher's data being stored by Google, a Firefox plugin, and tools for webmasters.

So now they are getting rid of it? Am I understanding this correctly?
So from now on, anyone who tries to keep their identity and information
secret while exploring Google willno longerbe able to, and are now subjected to monitoring?

Or am I being overly dramatic?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

This is a reply to most posts with the same question.

Basically:
Google stores every search you type in the box for a period unknown exactly to common man. 2-3+ years. Probably more.

Scroogle takes the same search and randomizes it so they can only keep it for 48 hours.

Laymans terms.
Its alot more complicated than that.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Try startpage.com...

[edit on 5·11·10 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

Thank you x 1000!

Just what the doctor ordered!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
You can opt out of Google's ad based tracking cookies.

Opt out

If it is privacy you are concerned with, you can subscribe to a Virtual Private Network Service.
VPN-Wikipedia

A service such as this will switch your IP address to other areas of the world if you like. Your ip address is the address assigned to your computer by your internet provider. Unfortunately, these services run about $10.00/month. Don't get burned on one that charges for bandwidth. Also, the VPN's keep logs for about a week in general, so if you are trying to do something you shouldn't on the internet-you can be tracked, but not without a lot of hassle.

I am in no way endorsing this site, but I am providing the link as an example.
Hidemyass.com

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Here's the problem as I see it. Google is a company. They offer you a service (i.e. search engine). Instead of charging fees directly, they record profiles of your activity for marketing, 3rd party sales, etc. This is also why Gmail, or any GApp, is not really free, but offered in exchange for customer data. None of us may like it, but that is why none of us have to use any one product over another. The more individuals who choose to not use Google services, Gmail, etc, will result in more competition, and hopefully a user driven or fully donation funded alternative.

[edit on 5/11/2010 by thomasblackraven]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Try this to anonymously search Google.
Free Proxy

Use their free proxy to surf anonymously online. Proxy to change your IP address, secure your internet connection, hide your internet history and protect your privacy online.
Hidemyass.com

[edit on 11-5-2010 by ogbert]

new topics

top topics

join