It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swordplay on ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 12:49 AM
link   
My collection of edged weapons is relatively small.

Bayonet for an M1A (never mounted on a gun, but makes a great field knife)
Bayonet for an AK-47 (dont own an AK, but the bayonet is a good field knife, and very rugged)
Sykes Fairbairn Commando Dagger
Cold Steel Tanto
A custom boot knife I inherited from my grandfather
2 machetes (12 and 18 inches respectively)
Various pocket sized folding knives.

As you can see, the only edged device that is even in the neighborhood for a sword are my machetes. Only 3 of my knives could be truly considered combat type knives (I consider the bayonets to be more work knives than combat)

I guess I would be at a serious disadvantage in an engagement with someone armed with a sword, as a sword would give far more reach on me than my tiny blades... but then, a .45 has much more reach on a sword!

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
The one image that I keep seeing however is the scene from "Raiders of the Lost Ark" where Harrison Ford is confronted by an Arab swordsman... As the swordsman twirls his sword, Harrison calmly draws his Smith and Wesson and dispatches him with one shot....

I dont know if you see "The samurai law", a japanese movie about yakusas in modern japan.
One of them use only a katana to fight, and their is a scene when he is front of a member of another.
He says "So, the sword and the gun, who's gonna win ?" wich such a "cold blood" that when he attack his oppenent, the other has no time to shoot before he's pierce.

Also, in MADDOG, with Forest WITAKER, the heroes, a gage slayer, don't want to use anything else than his KATANA !

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 11:24 PM
link   

The Ninja way would've been to sneak up on Indy from the nearby bushes (or used a nearby group of people to walk up unnoticed) & unceremoniously slit his throat. Posted by MidnightDStroyer
In that event, a sword would certainly be a bit of overkill, and would likely compromise his *sneaking* ability... wouldnt you want something considerably smaller, such as a 3" or so pocket folder you can make *appear* out of nowhere, and then *disappear*?

...I never even *mentioned* using a sword for this purpose...You *assumed* the sword here. The ninja wouldn't use a sword while moving through a crowd, but he *might* use a sword while coming out of bushes...

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a little on a sidetrack topic but...

I own a commemorative sword that celebrated diana and Charles's wedding.. I am pretty sure it's the same sword Prince charles wore on that day.

It was made by wilkinson sword and I know my father and uncle bought them ALL.. (1000 made) and resold them for a hefty profit..

It's not really a weapon but damn its a nice sword.

[Edited on 11-3-2003 by OzChris]

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Anyone do any of the wierd esoteric swordplay, like the two swords that join together to form a long double ended weapon, or using 2 swords at once? Just wondering exactly how effective that really is...

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Nope no sword.
But I have a 30-06 with a scope!

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   
But I have a 30-06 with a scope! Posted by Feline

Ahhh!!!!! Someone after my own heart!!!!! 30.06 a good choice, although I prefer the .308 in a Springfield Armory M1A with a Springfield Armory 3rd Gen scope... but thats just personal opinion...

Hard to get to within sword range when someone can hold you off at 600 yards...

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider...using 2 swords at once?

That's referred to as "Florentine" style & it's quite effective if done right...Either sword can act as a sheild (by blocking/parrying) while the other sword can be used as attack. Most sword/sheild styles of combat concentrate on fighting a right-handed opponent, but any right-handed opponent is at a disadvantadge when facing a left-handed swordsman because *they're* trained to fight mostly right-handed foes. Florentine style, when properly trained, eliminates that left-handed advantadge.

Unfortunately, two of my three swords were designed for two-handed use, so I rarely get the opportunity to practice Florentine style...At least, until I get another one-handed sword...

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer

Originally posted by dragonrider...using 2 swords at once?

That's referred to as "Florentine" style & it's quite effective if done right...Either sword can act as a sheild (by blocking/parrying) while the other sword can be used as attack. Most sword/sheild styles of combat concentrate on fighting a right-handed opponent, but any right-handed opponent is at a disadvantadge when facing a left-handed swordsman because *they're* trained to fight mostly right-handed foes. Florentine style, when properly trained, eliminates that left-handed advantadge.

The japanese Miyato Musashi school is also call the school of 2 swords.

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 09:40 AM
link   
features using a sword and dagger...

Personally, I'm a big fan of the weapon-breaker, but I haven't seen one in the flesh yet for sale...and I'm loathe to buy such an item online...

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 09:07 PM
link   
That's referred to as "Florentine" style & it's quite effective if done right Posted by MidnightDStroyer

Is this done with broadswords or the lighter fencing foil type swords?

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Personally, I'm a big fan of the weapon-breaker, but I haven't seen one in the flesh yet for sale...and I'm loathe to buy such an item online... Posted by Gazrok

What is that????

posted on Mar, 13 2003 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Actually, Florentine style was named after the home city (Florence, Italy) of the man who developed this style for use with twin foils...However, the technique also spread into medeval western Europe where it was adapted for use with the English longswords. It didn't take too much longer for it to be usable with the heavier broadswords.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the weapon-breaker, but I haven't seen one in the flesh yet for sale...and I'm loathe to buy such an item online... Posted by Gazrok
What is that????

The original weaponbreakers were invented by the Chinese...Although the European version is quite similar. It's the equivalent in size/weight of a shortsword, but the quillons (crosspiece above the handle) wer lengthened & curved so that it could be used to trap an enemy's sword...Then a bit of force from the arm, applied at an angle, could effectively break the foe's sword. If the sword itself doesn't actually *break*, there's still a much greater chance that it gets pulled out the foe's hand, disarming him.

[Edited on 13-3-2003 by MidnightDStroyer]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join