It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana dispensaries told to close

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

The city of Los Angeles has warned 439 medical marijuana dispensaries that they must shut their doors by June 7. City prosecutors began notifying dispensary operators this week

Source

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
yet more turmoil in the ever raging debate over the legal sale and consumption of marijuana.

caught my eye on Google news while browsing, had no idea this was going on.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by phi1618]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Los Angeles became the epicenter of the state's dispensary boom last year, following the Obama administration's announcement that it would not prosecute medical marijuana stores that adhered to state law. Although the city had a moratorium on new dispensaries, it failed to enforce the ban and hundreds opened with no oversight, triggering complaints from neighborhood activists.

Under the new ordinance, only dispensaries that registered with the city after the council adopted the moratorium in 2007 will be allowed to operate. City officials estimate that more than 130 of the original 186 registered dispensaries are still in business.

Source

Also:

Those dispensaries have six months to comply with the ordinance, which requires stores to be 1,000 feet from places where children congregate, including schools and parks.

Source

Honestly, I think it was "Spring cleaning". Since they did not close everyone down, and it was limited to LA (As far as I know.)

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS S and F!
I am a proud medical marijuana patient living about an hour south of LA in Orange County. The Los Angeles Sheriff's Office is politically pressuring several cities in Orange County to close their dispensaries although it ISN'T EVEN AN ORANGE COUNTY ORDINANCE! I recently went to the Laguna Hills City Council Meeting and read a statement in support of 5 clinics where I have membership. I got a standing ovation, it was awesome. I made those cops and politicians CRY! If anyone would like to read a copy of my letter I would be happy to U2U it to you. POWER TO THE PATIENTS! WE ARE NOT GIVING UP.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarlboroRedCowgirl
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS S and F!
I am a proud medical marijuana patient living about an hour south of LA in Orange County. The Los Angeles Sheriff's Office is politically pressuring several cities in Orange County to close their dispensaries although it ISN'T EVEN AN ORANGE COUNTY ORDINANCE! I recently went to the Laguna Hills City Council Meeting and read a statement in support of 5 clinics where I have membership. I got a standing ovation, it was awesome. I made those cops and politicians CRY! If anyone would like to read a copy of my letter I would be happy to U2U it to you. POWER TO THE PATIENTS! WE ARE NOT GIVING UP.

I would like a copy of this letter, thank you in advance!

(I didn't know they were going for my area next
)

I didn't know they were going for any area, I am too busy...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
My question is this: Why SO many. SF has tons without the documented need for so many and it seems LA is no different.

The Los Angeles City Council voted 9-3 Tuesday to approve a medical marijuana dispensary ordinance that, if enforced, will shut down more than 80% of the city's estimated nearly one thousand dispensaries.
www.safeaccessnow.org...

1000, do you really need that many?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
1000, do you really need that many?

In my opinion, that all depends.

LA County is a BIG area. If dispersed "properly" those 1k would be about right. HOWEVER, that is not how it was/is.

Orange Country has pockets of cities that will not allow dispensaries to operate. Fullerton, Buena Park, just to name two. So, the dispensaries HAVE to congregate in cities that allow them, or they get shut down.

I don't profess to know how to fix the issue, or even begin. I just can tell what I see.

EDIT (To Add)
Keep in mind, Southern California is pretty much one big city. The borders between the cities are usually little signs on the road.

[edit on 6/24/2010 by adigregorio]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
As a home health care nurse that has taken care of Cancer patients I can only hope that legalization of medical marijuana would extend to other states. It was difficult to get it legally for my last patient - a family member had to travel a long way. I must say it is a godsend for those receiving chemo and radiation. Thank you for posting - and hello to my one of my favorites cities LA!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

That explains the clustering on the map.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

YES!! Without a doubt we need that many! People who are not familiar with Los Angeles don't realize that it is a HUGE urban sprawl. As for my home county, there are alot of cities that have only one clinic that services the whole city. Why should one clinic make all that money? Its capitalistic expanse, nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
(Sorry! Double post)

[edit on 24-6-2010 by MarlboroRedCowgirl]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
(ah sorry again triple post!)

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

How many opiate dispensaries...err pharmacies are there? I can garantee hundreds times more.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Nutter]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
wow, there goes the economy.

DUH. wake up regulators.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MarlboroRedCowgirl

Actually I am more than familiar with SoCAl since you steal our water here in the North

Here is my issue with all this. The number of clubs IMHO in say San Francisco far excede the legit demand for the product. Its like a city of 1000 have 4 Quiznos. Its being overdone and makes me think some/many are not doing legit business.

Im an RN, I know it helps some people. I voted for 215 But it also seems like some are gaming the system to the detriment of those who need it. Support is falling becuase of this and I would not be surpised to see a ballot inititive to repeal it coming out of Orange County any day.

The people who actually benifit from this are the ones that will lose.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Oh no doubt there are some clinics that are sad excuses for a medical facilities-I call them "holes in the wall." They are hard to find, usually you are greeted by a tiny, bulletproof glass window where you have to wait about 30 minutes for a bud-tender to arrive. However, there are some clinics that are clean, sterile, well-light, easy to locate, and have some of the friendliest and professional staff members in the medical field. If the city wants to close dispensaries, take the time to visit them and see how they do business first. Close down the shady mofos, we dont like them anyway. But differentiate a little at least. Thank you so much for contributing to this discussion, one of the things I love about ATS is how amazing the mods are, and they are not so "holier-than-though" to actually discuss issues with the members. Much love.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
(SORRY dangit I dit it again.)

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MarlboroRedCowgirl

We are members first and foremost

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Its like a city of 1000 have 4 Quiznos.

My hometown has around 1300 people. There are 8 bars, 3 beer distributers and 2 liquor stores that I can think of off the top of my head.

Not to mention the 5 gas stations that sell cigarettes. And the cigarette machines in the bars.

When did we start wanting to control a capalist adventure in a capalist country? Just because the major corporations aren't getting the money?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Thats a valid point. And I would have to equate it with any business "boom".

Legalizing/decriminalizing/medical

Anything along those lines, opening a new opportunity for business and to make money is going to have a rush of people and corporations trying to fill the void.

Regulations that are enforced, and competition will weed the numbers out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join