It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kabul, Afghanistan.. 1970 and today. Incredible.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Ok, so I'd like to give Joe Rogan the nod for providing this picture via twitter. I'd also like to preface this by saying that I am in no way sure that this is an accurate representation of the same area. It could be a coincidence, but it seems to line up.

These are allegedly pictures of the same spot in Kabul, Afghanistan.. One taken in 1970, and one taken in 2010. I don't care what your opinion on the middle east is, this picture is terrifying if real.

From the shape of where the grass seed was laid down to some of the cement artifacts that kept their shape, I would seem to think its a pretty legit photograph on both ends. You can even see where the trees were uprooted.

However, there is no sign of the mountains on the horizon in the pic from 1970. That could be the camera technology or lighting. The middle area where the small waterway is would be the place you might be able to call BS on, as it seems much wider in the pic from 1970, but it could very easily be explained with erosion I suppose.

Decide for yourself and lets talk about the implications. Without further adieu:

[edit on 5/5/10 by SantaClaus]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
It is out of context, I don't even know if these pics are from Afghanistan.

And if they are, it could still be totally out of context.

I would need 100s of photos from the surrounding areas for better comparisons.

So I don't think these photos have any implications, other than people like to take things out of context to try to make things "look a certain way" to fit whatever agenda they may be attempting to push.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Here is my point, I looked up some modern pics of Kabul.

www.pictureninja.com...

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

Not exactly flattened and obliterated as the original photo comparison would lead you to believe.

That is why I say the OP photo is out of context and misleading.

Also notice that the ruined modern pic, there are no bomb craters or anything like that. The site was probably dismantled by bulldozers, pickaxes, and shovel. And it very well could have happened in the 1980s, we would need the name of the site to find it's actual history.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Here is a site where you can download a panorama of Kabul from 1970. I have to say, it was a pretty fine looking city then.
Kabul 1970 panorama

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I tend to agree with you about how everything is obliterated in the 2010 picture.

Could it not be from a palace that may have been destroyed though? I'd say some active military presence could have done that type of damage.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus

I tend to agree with you about how everything is obliterated in the 2010 picture.

Could it not be from a palace that may have been destroyed though? I'd say some active military presence could have done that type of damage.

Yeah it could be a palace, it does give that type of appearance.

But assuming it was the current military presence may or may not be true. We need more data before we decide who was behind it's destruction and what reasons it was torn down for.

The prior Taliban government was known to destroy things that were offensive or non-Islamic. It could have been a Indian style palace or temple, and could have been destroyed because of religious reasons by the Taliban.

Anything could be possible. If we find the name of the location we could find out exactly what happened there and why. And the date of it's untimely demise.

No telling why it's in ruins now.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

It very well could be the same "park"? as in the 70's,but like you said,after all the tribal wars and fighting,many buildings and structures were destroyed.Once the Taliban were in power,all the percieved non Islamic places were destroyed also,including the beautiful,and ancient Bhudist shrines.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I don't doubt the OPs photos that very well may be the same place. The Soviets did a number on Afghanistan, research their systematic deforestation attempt. Not to mention the Taliban blowing everything up that did fit into their version of Islam.

top topics

join