It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Of All Gushers Could Kill Earth's Oceans

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Niccawhois
Oil naturally leaks into the ocean all the damn time....
How the hell did this made ATS front page news even without a hot-girl avatar...

5ft hose leaking oil would be a big deal in a small lake, compared with the vastness of the ocean is a mere microscopic pin prick!

"Poison the worlds oceans." pffft

earth's been around for more than 4 GY and will continue to be here long after we're gone. just turns out we need to be more careful with the way we exploit the planet or all these things we spill into nature will come back up the food chain to kill us, not the oceans...

drill baby? sure! but put some better regulations and enforcement in place!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

If we can't cap that hole that oil is going to destroy the oceans of the world. It only takes one quart of motor oil to make 250,000 gallons of ocean water toxic to wildlife. Are you starting to get the magnitude of this?

dear god, it's happening.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel

Oh ya, tell that to the entire southern coast along the gulf. The only prick I'm seeing here is you posting idiotic stuff, what are you like 14 yrs old or something.

Wow im 14? Your the one spewing filthy personal attacks directed at someone simply because he doesn't join you in your panic!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
reply to post by hawkiye

So has anyone confirmed that this is what happened?

First, the BP platform was drilling for what they call deep oil. They go out where the ocean is about 5,000 feet deep and drill another 30,000 feet into the crust of the earth. This it right on the edge of what human technology can do. Well, this time they hit a pocket of oil at such high pressure that it burst all of their safety valves all the way up to the drilling rig and then caused the rig to explode and sink.

The way I read it was that some engineer who's not identified wrote this in an email to a blogger. Now, I could have missed something but last I heard no reasons had been given yet.

Holy cow!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

why dont they just put a big bubble dome thing around the hole and suck the oil out of that?

wouldnt that relieve alot of the pressure required to cap that whole? Sure, any wildlife within the dome will die but it will save all the wildlife around it.

Just a thought...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSecret

drill baby? sure! but put some better regulations and enforcement in place!

The article said that the tremendous pressure blew all the shut off valves they had in place. Seems to me that this has never happened before.
Its not like lack of regulation could have prevented this. BP is not out there slapping together some unsafe multi-million dollar oil rig with reckless abandon...This rig was a major investment!

Regulations cannot prevent everything! Obviously we will learn from this and take precautions to prevent this from ever happing again!

Its not the end of the world folks, look at Prince William Sound, the site of the EXXON spill up in Alaska. Its not an oil soaked wasteland anymore! Its been cleaned up and for the most part back to normal!

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Niccawhois]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by demonseed
reply to post by hawkiye

why dont they just put a big bubble dome thing around the hole and suck the oil out of that?

wouldnt that relieve alot of the pressure required to cap that whole? Sure, any wildlife within the dome will die but it will save all the wildlife around it.

Just a thought...

Because it's packing 70,000 pounds per square inch of pressure behind it.

It's going to stop when it's close to empty. Nothing else is going to work.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by aravoth]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

It only takes one quart of motor oil to make 250,000 gallons of ocean water toxic to wildlife.

I can find no scientific source substantiating this claim.

Can anyone else? I'd like to review the material.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

The pressure is impossible to control not contain...
we can work with pressures up to an amazing 30,000 PSI and as time passes we might be able to safely work with 100,000 metallurgy was never my thing mind you... ya know at those kinds of pressures a pin-prick leak will cut you in half slick as a hot knife threw butter

and this isn't the first time we lost a rig working under those kids of pressures

Offshore blowout involving Actinia semi-submersible oil rig, off Vietnam in February 1993. Compilation of footage from various helicopters, planes...

No we cannot safety control those kinds of pressures but we can contain them

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Its not the end of the world folks, look at Prince William Sound, the site of the EXXON spill up in Alaska. Its not an oil soaked wasteland anymore! Its been cleaned up and for the most part back to normal!

good news! we'll all live to see the sun rise tomorrow again

it just shows how expensive oil really is. protection by wars, protection by diplomatic concessions (aka money for the Saudis, Pakistanis, and others) and of course recovering from disasters like these and their economic costs...

if we add up these costs it may come close to the price of solar panels and other so-called green energy devices. problem is... we still need oil to build them and ship them where they're needed. so in the long run unless we manage to get our hands on fusion reactors or even ZPEs, we're doomed as a civilization to go back to the horse and buggy...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

At this point i think criminal charges need to be filed, not just a bunch of lawyers trying to get money for various environmental causes. Someone needs to go to prison to give corporations the message that they can't keep doing this kind of thing and only face financial punishments.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GallopingFish

Since the 70's, it has been known that mycelium, or fungus, has the remarkable ability to absorb toxic, and even radioactive materials, completely from its substrate. If given enough time, the mycelium will absorb organic matter breaking down any toxic substances into simple elements. The mushrooms containing unwanted substances can then be removed.

Since an oil slick is organic matter, I am sure there is a technique to inoculate by means of "crop-dusting" with barrels of spores. The shrooms are quite edible from an oil substrate as well.

Perhaps it is time to convert those pesky chem-trail-spouting planes into spore-trail saviours of the Gulf.

edit to add these links relevant to Fungus as a Decontaminant.
Paul Stamets is THE mushroom guy and breaks it down for ya.

www.youtube.com...

Here Paul Stamets tells about Micoremediation of HydroCarbons.
www.youtube.com...

www.springerlink.com...

[edit on 2-5-2010 by 16grit]

[edit on 2-5-2010 by 16grit]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by aravoth

Originally posted by demonseed
reply to post by hawkiye

Just a thought...

Because it's packing 70,000 pounds per square inch of pressure behind it.

It's going to stop when it's close to empty. Nothing else is going to work.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by aravoth]

Well that pressure alleviates the farther out you go from the source.
theoretically you could just make a massive bubble around the source to where the oil is spilling into this bubble. This creates a kind of mini container for the oil spilling out and giving us time to suck the oil out of the container. You cant do much about whats already out there but this would work as a cleanup mechanism.

why would you say nothing else is going to work? Im not saying my idea WILL work, but why would you be so pessimistic about it?

[edit on 2-5-2010 by demonseed]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Anyone who uses oil is to blame for this .If you drive,consume ,buy,travel,eat,etc ,YOU are to blame .Go and live in a cave until the last drop is gone and then you can come out and start again.Not possible?What a mess we have created, not only this spill but the Whole friggen planet.

no its not... I take public transport, and that consumes oil. I drive a car, sometimes, and that consumes oil. If I didn't, then I would die... I wouldn't be able to go to work, school, whatever, earn this fake money, and buy food, clothing, and shelter.

I think the people that have hid free energy from us for money are to blame.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

Yeah, I noticed that, too.

Maybe the car-bomb (er..car-almost-bomb?) was a decoy to divert the media's attention from what everybody on the earth should be concerned about....the oil spill.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

It only takes one quart of motor oil to make 250,000 gallons of ocean water toxic to wildlife.

I can find no scientific source substantiating this claim.

Can anyone else? I'd like to review the material.

Sorry, not a scientific source, but says the same thing.

A primary objective of waste management today is to protect the public and the environment from potential harmful effects of waste. Some waste materials are normally safe but can be hazardous if not managed properly. One gallon (3.75 liters) of used motor oil, for example, can contaminate one million gallons (3,750,000 liters) of water.

Read more: Waste Management - humans, examples, body, used, water, process, plants, type, form, energy, methods, gas, animals, oxygen, air, parts, effects, primary, plant www.scienceclarified.com...
Science Clarified

and here:

Every 4 quarts of oil discarded during an average oil change can contaminate 1 million gallons of water.
Clean Air Council

reply to post by nikiano

My thoughts as well. . .

[edit on 2-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Fact check pal, btw your ignorance is appalling.

How much oil was spilled?
Approximately 11 million gallons or 257,000 barrels or 38,800 metric tonnes. Picture the swimming pool at your school or in your community. The amount of spilled oil is roughly equivalent to 17 olympic-sized swimming pools.

How much did it cost?
Exxon says it spent about $2.1 billion on the cleanup effort.

in 1993 the EVOS Trustee Council funded an additional survey that estimated 7 km of shoreline were still contaminated with subsurface oil.

www.evostc.state.ak.us...

You can't compare a relatively small(by comparison) finite spill to one that is still gushing. I live in Florida and will be directly affected by this. Please crawl back under your rock.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Niccawhois

What panic is that? The only thing I ever stated about the whole situation is how the corrupt, greedy world needs to get itself in order. Your post made it sound like you were a kid, worried about stupid crap that kids worry about, by reading your post I wouldn't have thought you to be an adult. Most of us adults worry about the world we live in and what we leave our children, so yes when I see a stupid company acting irresponsible it pisses me off.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
What's likely to happen is they will drill another hole to intersect with the core "Main hole", then start pumping what oilmen call Kill-wight liquids. then cap it off with cement... you'd be surprised how well a few thousand feet of cement works as a plug...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Another poster showed a diagram that suggested a 2 to 3 month time frame for that operation. Is that a reasonable assessment? BTW thanks for sharing your expertise. It is much appreciated.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join