It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18 War Veterans Commit Suicide Everyday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

18 War Veterans Commit Suicide Everyday

www.truthistreason.net

The suicide rate among war veterans is extraordinary, new data reveals.

Thirty try to commit suicide each day, on average, reports the Army Times. Eighteen succeed, roughly five of whom receive medical care from Veterans Affairs, rated one of the best health programs in the country.

“Of the more than 30,000 suicides in this country each year, fully 20 percent of them are acts by veterans,” said VA Secretary Eric Shinseki at a VA-sponsored suicide prevention conference in January, Inter Press Service reported.

The Times noted that “In general, VA officials said, women attempt sui
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This is disgusting. More people are taking themselves out than getting KIA. I think this is a huge, flashing, lit up sign saying we should not be there. It is so horrible that people cannot even live with themselves after experiencing it. They need to stop sending our fighting men and women where they don't belong. War is always hell, but if you think your cause is just, it is easier to cope when you get home and the reality of it all sets in.

www.truthistreason.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
In most cases it is not the "war" that causes it. It is depression from not being home and missing loved ones or having your wife cheat on you or girlfriend break up with you. There is no real war, I have been there twice and all you do is work and work and work for a year or six months which ever you get tasked. This war has no front lines and hardly anything ever happens.

In the beginning stages of this "war" yea there was a lot going on. But it is no where near a war to the scale of Vietnam or WW2. Getting deployed sucks a big one, most of these people are just weak and can't hack being away for a year. Iraq and Afghanistan are not scary, nor are they anything to kill yourself over.

I feel no sadness for these people who commit suicide. I give em the finger cause nothing is ever worth taking your life over.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by devildogUSMC

This is a very important issue devildogUSMC, thank you for posting it. It is obvious that these service members, who are our shield, are in there own way voicing out there discontent for the wars that America is fighting. The US Military did not keep suicide rates for thier soldiers prior to 1980, but I wonder was it the same for WW2 vets? WW2 was believed to be a just war, so I would imagine it isn't, but either way, these men and women are casualties of these un-American wars. The psychological impact of it is worse than any military defeat we have or will see, as more men are dying by thier own hands than by the "enemies" bombs and bullets.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by theillestomen

I think you are spot on. When our soldiers, airmen, squids, and Marines came home from WW2, they were thanked for doing a job that needed to be done, hailed as heros, and respected for doing something that most can't or won't do. Nobody thanks our armed forces for their job in Iraq or Afghanistan because they want this done. It is more of appreciating the sacrifice and service, but most are not happy about the war itself. I think it would be safe to assume that at least some of these people feel they were a part of something wrong and could not live with it.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Somehow every person..for or against these wars and/or their country's government...need to reach out to a veteran.

Buy them a beer or send them a note. I am sure that everybody on this board must know at least one veteran of a foreign war.

Let them know that you support them.

These young people coming home...they are our sons and daughters.

The war is not their fault.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Reign02

I met a man who would brag about his 5 theaters of war...and this guy was nuts about it being hot...anyhow this tough cookie broke down like a baby one night....20 years after the fact.

It can catch up to you.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Very sobering story here, and it should be a wake up call for all those who say they support the troops. It is one thing to put a ribbon on your car or putting the flag out on your front porch, but is that the kind of sacrifice those in uniform have done for them? Sadly, no it is not, and only a superficial display of appreciation. They are sent home with the demons and the war still running amok within their minds. That is the problem, and most are unable to cope with the change in scenery and reality.

For example, my Grandfather took part in D-Day and the invasion of France in World War 2, and had nightmares throughout his life. He lived into his seventies. Fortunately, for me, he did not commit suicide but he lived with the horrors of war long after the last shots of hostility were fired. Then, my brother who was involved in the current conflict in Iraq has been riddled with psychological torment since coming home. He does not talk about his experiences and will not go to the VA for help. Right now we just to try make things as easy as possible for him, and allow him his space. My brother is not the same person he was before he left. Hopefully, he will get his affairs in order. So, in light of my own dealings with PTSD among family members, I can have some empathy for those that feel they have nothing to live for.

However, personally, I feel one taking their own life is selfish and a cop out. It is a sign of neglect, that these men and women think their lives are hopeless or inadequate as civilians. I am sure the miserable economy has a lot to do with why they are having problems adjusting as well. Certainly, more can be done by us individually, and the Federal Government to alleviate the plight of our veterans. It is really sad that so many are deciding to quite on themselves and their families. I guess it boils down to politicians thinking long and hard before declaring war in the future. However, at any rate, that is probably only wishful thinking. Thanks for bringing this up.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reign02
In most cases it is not the "war" that causes it. It is depression from not being home and missing loved ones or having your wife cheat on you or girlfriend break up with you. There is no real war, I have been there twice and all you do is work and work and work for a year or six months which ever you get tasked. This war has no front lines and hardly anything ever happens.

In the beginning stages of this "war" yea there was a lot going on. But it is no where near a war to the scale of Vietnam or WW2. Getting deployed sucks a big one, most of these people are just weak and can't hack being away for a year. Iraq and Afghanistan are not scary, nor are they anything to kill yourself over.

I feel no sadness for these people who commit suicide. I give em the finger cause nothing is ever worth taking your life over.

This I do not understand.....

Are these suicides not commited when they are home? Back with their family and friends?

And second I find it hard to belief that so very many soldiers have such a sensetive and weak state of mind. Commiting suicide because you are homesick...?

If you'd ask me something different is going on......probably some sick disturbed experiment of the US army.....if I put on my conspiracy cap.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
There may be a lot more going on, but I do know one thing for certain...

Once we get home, most of us do not feel like we belong here anymore.

I think that in centuries past, one of two things usually happened:

1. Being a soldier was a life-long career. A soldier was always around his own kind, and was accepted, as he also accepted the life of a soldier.
or
2. Military men were more accepted into communities when they returned. They were honored and respected.

The simple truth is that this is not the case in the last half century or so. Members of our Military are ridiculed for joining in the first place. They are degraded for their actions while they are serving their terms. And, if and when they finally return to civilian life, there is almost no respect or understanding from the people around them.

Just in these message boards alone, you can see evidence of this, over and over again. People describe military personnel as poorly educated, low-income, coming from weak roots, being easily targeted by recruiters, and on and on. I have seen all manner of derogatory statements made. And, these statements just represent how people view those who have joined the military. The descriptions, and reactions toward men and women that are or have actually been in action are much, much more negative.

We are either low-brow low-life's, for having joined, or we are soulless killers if we have seen action.

We do not fit in what has become of this country. The USA, now, is made for the yuppies, and liberals, and anti-establishment champions, etc.

The characteristics that make up a military person, just don't seem to have any place here anymore.

Sure, in a thread like this, or a discussion where one of us is actually present, there are kind words. But, we still read the posts, and the news, and watch the talk shows, and listen to the kids hanging out, or the liberal leader on tv, etc, etc, etc. And, we know. We know we are just a bad joke.

And, it feels horrible. And, when you take the memories, and pain that a lot of us are bringing with us, from our time in active-duty, and you combine it with the feeling of being totally out of place, hated or laughed at, well, it can easily become unbearable. And, this is for those of us that do NOT also have to deal with our little "parting gifts", such as wounds, illness, missing limbs, missing minds, and so on.

Some of us can't even get along smoothly on a web site forum.

It's just really tough. I'm really sorry for running on.

new topics

top topics

join