It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates Proposes Revamp of Export System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Gates Proposes Revamp of Export System

cryptome.org

WASHINGTON, April 20, 2010 – The United States must totally revamp the Cold War-era export control system, because as currently configured, it actually harms national security, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said here today.

Gates told members of Business Executives for National Security that the export control system does not adequately protect crucial American capabilities and makes it nearly impossible to quickly share needed capabilities with allies and partners.

Gates said his proposal for a new export control process would make it more difficult for critical technologies to
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Is this the beginning of American protectionism? I wonder if this has anything to do with the cargo-ship missile systems from the Russian weapon show. I also wonder what specific event may have taken place to prompt Gates to become so interested in this. What are the "crown jewels" refered to in the article that Gates wants to be protected so badly? What kind of technology do we have that no other nation does?

cryptome.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by devildogUSMC

In order to "Revamp the export system" America need to "revive" its industrial base that is lying in a death bed.

What a joke.

And as for "protectionism" China gets away with it and nobody bothers them, we still get their crappy goods as we don't produce anything of value to the consumer at home.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
As a person intimate with the export system as it currently is, which seems to get more and more bureaucratic day by day, I can just imagine how hard this is going to make it to do business.

It'll kill business.

Peace

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Why will it kill business? The companies will have to pay more to protect technologies and such? The tax-payers won't be footing that bill?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by devildogUSMC

Well that seems a littler bit difficult taking into consideration that most of our tech is coming from other nations and not the other way around.

I read the article and you know that no even our ammunition is made in the US anymore like it used to.

See how can we protect our military when the bullets they fire in war are foreign made.

The whole thing looks like more bureaucracy to me and nothing more than worthless talk.

If we start making "things at home" perhaps we can control what goes out of the US when it comes to important tech.

But that is not what is going on.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by devildogUSMC
Why will it kill business? The companies will have to pay more to protect technologies and such? The tax-payers won't be footing that bill?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. What companies will have to pay more, foreign companies importing from the US?

Peace

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Really, it's gonna come down to the restricted list which I'm assuming will be more all-encompassing than it currently is. The words "dual use" and "critical technologies" can be used for almost anything.

Peace

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I just didn't understand why it will kill business. I still sort of do not. Want to help me out here?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by devildogUSMC
I just didn't understand why it will kill business.

In a nutshell, time is money, and more bureaucracy and paperwork takes more time.

That's not even taking into consideration cost of goods to manufacture whatever it is that you're exporting. And that's not even considering the "restricted" list I haven't seen yet. It's basically an educated guess based on what I see now.

It's all trickle-down and smaller US businesses that rely on export, especially industrial and technology, will either give up or go bankrupt eventually.

Peace

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Dr Love]

new topics

top topics

join