It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I slow down time with my mind? and other questions I would like answered.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I would like to make a list of questions I have on what I can do with my mind. No references to anything illegal please. Answer as many as you would like, or none at all.

1. It is well known that in very high adrenaline situations time seems to "slow down." Is there a way I can get this effect without the adrenaline? Is there a form of meditation for this "matrix effect."

2. How can I give myself some very weird dreams?

3. How can I effectively give myself night vision?

4. How can I speed up time to get through boring things?

5. Is it possible to see kinetic energy? and if so, how?

I will edit in more questions I have as I think of them. Think of this as a Mind Hack super thread for tricks you can do with your brain, and please ask your own questions. I want as many tricks to try as possible.

Thank you for reading, and thank you for the help if you come up with any answers.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Phlynx]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
ive only had 3 exsperiances with time slowing down.

1) car crash, guess adreniline, which is a drug.
2) with unmentionable help from some plants. drug.
3) sleep paralysis which some say is caused by drugs released by your body that paralise you for sleep. so uhh drug.

but i am a firm believer that anything you set your mind to you can accomplish. intresting that most times it happens natrually it is because of body released drugs.

i have heard that atomic clocks that have been rotated at high speed show diffrent times than stationary ones. also maybe meditation could acomplish it, but i know nothing of meditation.

also you can give yourself a weird dream in this way.
watch a horror movie go to sleep around 1:30 or two. lay on your back and just concentrate on not moving at all, but keep your mind awake dont let yourself fall asleep and dream but dont move. you should hear a whirring noise after a while, let it get louder and louder and concentrate on it. then it should get really weird.

how to speed up through borring things... a cup of black coffe and some marlboro reds always worked for me haha.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRepublic

how to speed up through borring things... a cup of black coffe and some marlboro reds always worked for me haha.

I'm under 18

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Umm, the only real way to ''speed up'' time would be through drug use, or the illusion of time speeding up through meditation or something to that effect, unless you have a time machine, and if you do, I would suggest using it for something better than getting through the boring bits

[edit on 24-4-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

1. Sometimes if you pay attention real close, to your breathing and the sounds around you, you can gain moments of clarity where your perception seems better and it can make it seem slower. But if you want the real big effect you have to be in that adrenaline state. I used to be able to slow my breathing shut my eyes and make five minutes seem like twenty.

2. I find it helps to watch or read a lot of something you love, a movie, a television show, a great book. If you spend a while right before you go to bed watching something like, say, X-Files, you might dream your on the case with Scully and Mulder.

3. Usually the eyes will adjust to low light. Also, try the eye patch trick they did on mythbusters. Where a patch over your eye and when you go into the dark and take patch off your eyes will already be adjusted. As for anything supernatural of metaphysical I don't know... Try getting your eyes shined like Riddick perhaps

4. Don't look at a clock. One of the best ways to perceive time going faster is to not think about what time it is.

None of these things are particularly hard to do, as for any more advanced techniques I don't know of them so if these don't work for you I'm afraid you might be out of luck.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It can't be done. Especially from sitting in your bedroom, after receiving instructions from other ATS members sitting in their bedrooms.

In a "logical world" ATS would have moderators with specific instructions to ridicule users and threads like this. Or, Springer would actually be able to transmit a jolt of "cleansing electricity" over the web, and into the body of such a site member.

IMHO

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
1. You'd need to convince your body that you are in mortal peril, and then the mind might release an adrenaline surge.
2. No clue there.
3. Mythbusters gave an answer to night vision on the pirate episode. If you cover up one eye for a bit of time, then go into a dark room and take off the cover, then that eye sees fine in the dark. I have tried this, in my boredom, and it does work, although not to any extreme.
4. Release your though process. Don't hold in your imagination. I have seen multiple times a giant worm bursting up from the floor and eating my professor. After that, I think of why a giant worm would be beneath the floor, who made it, why is it hungry, how will it be caught, etc... Essentially, I make an odd sci-fi movie in my head. Never fails.
5. No clue.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by UruFist
It can't be done. Especially from sitting in your bedroom, after receiving instructions from other ATS members sitting in their bedrooms.

In a "logical world" ATS would have moderators with specific instructions to ridicule users and threads like this. Or, Springer would actually be able to transmit a jolt of "cleansing electricity" over the web, and into the body of such a site member.

IMHO

Read the forum this is under. This is completely fair.

I really don't enjoy being insulted like this for questions I have. I have brought up some good questions involving what could be possible under meditation. Some of it may not be possible, but it is great to think of what our minds can do.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
There is a medication that you can ask your Doctor about, it's called Thorazine.
Perhaps this will help.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
There is a medication that you can ask your Doctor about, it's called Thorazine.
Perhaps this will help.

Very mature.

None of these are psychotic.
Most of these are possible.

Number 1 happens in high adrenaline situations, 2 weird dreams happen a lot... I just want a good laugh when I wake up, 3 possible, 4 everyone should want this, and it is possible, and 5 may be possible.

I'm not talking about speeding up time and slowing down time in a physical sense, but in a psychological sense.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

There are ways to slow down time. One of which is to disconnect with the main measures of time.

Our clock is based on the rotation of the earth. The time between two sunrises has been arbitrarily calculated to be 24 hours. If the sun stopped moving (i.e. the earth stopped rotating), we would lose the measure of time in terms of hours and minutes.

However time would still pass. It would then be measured in terms of something else moving. For example, the growth of your beard would tell you that the equivalent of say 20 hours had passed.

So , you see, as long as something moves (be it a flower growing or whatever), you are able to measure Time. Once movement stops, then there is no Time and no Space .

If I were put in a capsule and blindfolded with headphones to block any sound, I would eventually lose the sense of time. The only thing that would alert me that a day had passed would be my belly rumbling. If then hunger was somehow supressed, then I would lose all sense of time.The big question is : will my metabolism slow down and, therefore ,will I live longer as a result?

My advice to anyone who wants to bend time a little bit is to stop wearing a watch. I have not worn one for over 25 years. Yes, I do check the time now and again. But that is not the same a wearing a watch. In any case I am aware that I am playing into the time trap when going to work everyday.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
[I'm Back!!]

If you're actually serious about studying these types of things I suggest that you instantly become interested in Hypnosis (Ericksonian Hypnotherapy) Stage hypnosis and NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) [Richard Bandler]

The first person to respond was quite accurate, when you get into a car accident time slows down.. subjectively.

Similarly if you are a race car driver, when you get out of your race car and enter your car to go home, no matter how fast you are going it will seem slower comparatively to when you were driving the race car.

Imagine for a moment if you flew a jet, at the end of the day when you drove home after flying all day it would seem like it took forever driving home in your car.

Part of the reason behind this is the difference between your immediate focal point and your peripheral vision.
Everything is going fast on the sides(peripherally) and slow in the center of your immediate focal point.

What works for one person may not necessarily work for everyone...

People naturally do these things all the time, boxers slow down time and use pain control... it's necessary to be a good boxer, it doesn't mean they know exactly how they do it. Although there are ways we can pick apart a persons subjective experience and create a model for others to follow to obtain similar results.

*I'm watching TV and listening to music at the moment so I'm not really all that focused on giving the answers I would like to*

The beauty is that with NLP we can pick-apart these subjective experiences and model them so other people can achieve the results they desire.

There are great benefits to controlling your own mind.

[edit on 4/24/2010 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
I would like to make a list of questions I have on what I can do with my mind. No references to anything illegal please. Answer as many as you would like, or none at all.

1. It is well known that in very high adrenaline situations time seems to "slow down." Is there a way I can get this effect without the adrenaline? Is there a form of meditation for this "matrix effect."

Go to prison. Time will move very slow

Do something extremely violent before you go to bed

Live your life in darkness. Find a cave, close it off, and don't come out for 20 years.

Put your mind somewhere else. If you don't pay attention to a boring thing, it can't bore you.

KE = ½mV²

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I will edit in more questions I have as I think of them. Think of this as a Mind Hack super thread for tricks you can do with your brain, and please ask your own questions. I want as many tricks to try as possible.

Thank you for reading, and thank you for the help if you come up with any answers.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Phlynx]

Perhaps Time flies for those who have fun. If you want time to slow down, be boring. Be profoundly boring. Maybe there is a reason for you wanting it to slow down.

Giving yourself weird dreams is easiest of all. Stay up well into the morning whenever you get the chance, (meaning no responsibilities the next day) playing video games. If you don't like that read on things you enjoy that are maybe far out. Point is find some way to be exhausted with your mind racing. RACING.

Speed up time by "having fun." Make something out of the moment. Make it a mental exercise of some sort.

It's all perception. Most people will say life is over before you know it, time flies. I feel like I've been here forever. Learn how to manipulate and adjust your perception, and you'll be there. It's not really that magical, just understanding. I guess what's interesting and what matters is what you do after that.

But really there are no simple tricks beyond looking at things this way and that way, in case you felt I didn't really talk about what you were.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by UruFist

IMHO

Read the forum this is under. This is completely fair.

I really don't enjoy being insulted like this for questions I have. I have brought up some good questions involving what could be possible under meditation. Some of it may not be possible, but it is great to think of what our minds can do.

It was a "joke". With a little slap of "reality", for good measure.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by UruFist]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Actually the secret is that the adrenaline gets burned so that the sympathetic STRESS nervous system switches or triggers over to the parasympathetic nervous system. Traditionally this switch occurs through trance dancing.

The opposite is to build the parasympathetic system while keeping down the stress sympathetic system. Professor Robert Sapolsky details that when the male primate ejaculates it triggers the stress sympathetic system. This is why male bonbos rarely ejaculate yet live in a peaceful culture while male chimps (and humans) ejaculate frequently and have warfare.

So time in the West is defined as symmetric spatial distance through amplitude. This is the problem.

Time is not a spatial distance!

Meditation means that time is frequency -- so we listen to the source of time. When we listen to music and are absorbed then NO ONE IS LISTENING. When no one is listening then time no longer exists.

Normally in the West this is called "catharsis" -- it's how we forget ourselves and emotions are released for healing -- through art, etc.

But this catharsis can go much deeper so that sound creates LIGHT -- in nonwestern music the goal of sound is to create light.

How so? Because if you measure time not as spatial distance but as resonance of sound then the frequency resonates as complementary opposite overtones -- through the whole energy spectrum.

In Quantum Mechanics frequency is also noncommutative or complementary opposites so that energy intensity is measured by time that can be reversed yet this "infinite potential" of time has to be converted to classical spatial amplitude as probability.

So in nonwestern meditation as listening to music there is no conversion of time back into spatial distance.

The foundational practice for this reversal of time -- to slow it down by increasing the frequency of your brain's perception is called the "small universe" or "microcosmic orbit" practice -- it's the 12 notes of the music scale as complementary opposite frequency resonance along the outside of the body.

www.scribd.com...

You can read this book for the beginning transformation experiences of turning sound into light to reverse time -- and in deeper practice you can predict the future -- have precognition and even telepathy and telekinesis.

www.amazon.com...

That's the advanced practice analysis. Now to actually practice time as frequency of sound and not spatial distance this c.d. is the best:

www.springforestqigong.com...

It's just a half hour practice. You can also just sit in half lotus for the other "self concentration" side of the c.d. -- the pyramid power or the tetrahedron geometry as the full lotus is the most efficient resonance of complementary opposites.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
After reading some of the suggestions I felt compelled to say something else..

It isn't about making yourself boring or going to jail...

It's a mental process we go through when there are certain stimuli present, or when we go through a certain sequence of thoughts. It isn't the environment that creates the effect, it's how we respond to the stimuli/environment. We can achieve the same states without the stimuli or environment.
I can ask you (if you aren't already sitting in your room) to imagine your room and you can get an idea of the layout of your room without being there, through a certain set of questions I or you could ask yourself, you could bring yourself even more into the experience and begin to perceive the smells and emotional feelings of being in that environment. Similarly you go through a specific process where you "unlock" the mental resources necessary to accomplish whatever state of mind you want. You can even do this with experiences a person has not already had. It sounds very complicated and for the most part I suppose it is hard for most people to grasp the concepts because hypnosis and NLP are positioned to examine unconscious/subconscious behaviours and as it stands most people are mostly unawares of how their mind works to produce the various feelings and thoughts that we endure day-to-day.

In other words...

(If you aren't in your room)

Imagine your bedroom, how many chairs are in your room?... What color are they? ... How many pillows do you have on your bed? Imagine just waking up in the morning feeling the comfort of your sheets and the softness of your pillow, as you take in a nice deep breath* remembering the last dream you were having as you stretch and become familiar with the smell of your room and the feeling of the sun as it strikes your face.

The point I'm making is that it isn't necessary to participate in any extravagant event to produce the desired effects. You don't need to go to jail, or go sit in a cave for years eating bowls of rice, .. You have experiences throughout your life that you have already learned and perhaps in their context they may not be useful (for instance getting into a car accident to experience time distorting/slowing down time) but it becomes very useful if you're performing sleight of hand magic or memorizing the positions of all the cards in a deck of cards when someone if flipping through them quickly. Imagine you're writing an exam and you finish 45 minutes early but you have to stay seated until the end of the exam, that would be a great use of speeding up time, which as someone pointed out happens quite often when people are having fun. But it isn't the having fun that produces the effect, it's what you're doing with your brain that produces the effect.

*...Most people will actually take in a deep breath as they read that line, .. Our unconscious mind is far more powerful then we give it credit for, you may not have even been aware of it while it happened which also goes to show that your unconscious mind pays a great deal of attention to the minute details that seemingly pass you by everyday.

Check out some videos by Derren Brown (Tricks of the Mind series)

[edit on 4/24/2010 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

It was the damnedest thing I ever experiened. not just once but twice.
first I was 17 in my muscle car. I had a bald 70 spare, and a 50 flat.
the night before I was late for work and it was the passenger side of coarse. I forgot and wet road bye bye 67 cougar. when the car slid into the curb it rolled upside down in extreme slow motion.
the other time it happenend I was going about 120 or so down the freeway and I eperienced it again... so it is possible.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Doesn't Einstein's simple explanation of relativity sum up your question about time? lol
(I'm referring to the one he gave the press so everyone could understand)

Although I do like your questions, because as ideal as they are I'm sure we all would like a concrete answer to them.

One of my strangest perceptions of time is the power nap.
Power naps are naps where you feel like you have slept for 8 hours and only 15 minutes have gone by. This can also happen if you have ever set an alarm, let it snooze for 5 minutes, but It felt like you had overslept, and you woke up in 4 minutes thinking its been hours since the alarm has gone off.

I was talking to a friend about this, and I think it has to do with anticipation , expectation and memory.

when we anticipate the future we have slightly changed our level of focus on specifically, time. When you concentrate on how time passes you realize that it goes by quite slow.

Now when we expect something in the future, we are not focused on it, because it has "already happened" it is merely a matter of time before it becomes reality. This takes your mind off time and it will appear to go by much faster because your focus is on something else.

The way memory plays in all of this, is how you remind yourself about the 2mentioned above. If you put your focus on something long enough you will forget other surroundings including time. If you focus on waiting - you can't forget it - each second is a reminder.

This is why I believe power naps involve our expectation to wake up plus our lack of memory due to the way our brain works during that stage of consciousness.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PuRe EnErGy

As much as I liked your post, there is more than one way to make time seem to slow down. I liked how you said my way wasn't the only way, but then you act like yours is the only, maybe out of haste and you didn't mean such.

Unless you think NLP is the only path to any mental state.. oh well that's absurd I give you the benefit of the doubt.

There are a ton of ways to make happen every question he asked.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join