It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama makes light of anti-tax protests

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Obama makes light of anti-tax protests

news.yahoo.com

MIAMI – President Barack Obama said Thursday he's amused by the anti-tax tea party protests that have been taking place around Tax Day.

Obama told a fundraiser in Miami that he's cut taxes, contrary to the claims of protesters.

"You would think they'd be saying thank you," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Obama doesn't seem to realize the power that the Tea Partys hold, they may not be expressing their views in the best forum but are thousands of pissed off people, and Obama does not plan to address their concern, he just says they should thank him. I don't know about you, but taxes were much rougher this year for me at least.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Tax Freedom Day was one day later this year than last year. I wonder what 2011 is looking like. Tax Freedom Day

And my favorite quote:

Despite all these tax reductions, Americans will pay more taxes in 2010 than they will spend on food, clothing and shelter combined.

Thanks a lot Mr. Wizard, now will you please start giving out some hope that people will have a little more than some change when they reach into their pockets? At this point we could have elected Dan Quayle and had little less to fear than misspellings of potato and the comparison of TV shows to real life. At least those two events were only blown out of proportion. Unfortunately, Obama really thinks we should be thanking him.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Plan2exist18

I posted here about a couple, and they were not alone, that were arrested and removed from a Bush rally for wearing anti-Bush T-shirts right after the Patriot Act was passed. They had those red circles with the slash across the word BUSH on their shirts. It was a big issue at the time and I saw it spotlighted on Rosie O'Donnell blog. Of course Rosie was up in arms and livid about it.

I remember thinking at the time...so this is what a dictatorship looks like.

I have been to the tea parties and they don't seem to know what all they are protesting. It is a few coherent ideas strung together and kept afloat by an angry mob.

I think they will be as effective as a gasoline spill - but then I support an unarmed, lawful and orderly take back of government.

There was a fellow posting here somewhere, a moderator I think who was complaining his taxes did go up because he was a smoker and cigarettes were taxed at almost 200% or something like that. He complained this hurt the poorest folks since they are the smokers.

If I were his daughter I would be thrilled his cigarette tax went up. If it inspired him to quit smoking he might live a lot longer as a contributing member of society and as a dad. As a society we all pay the high price of smoking related illness. Isn't it time to accept responsibility and cover the costs of our actions?

[edit on 19-4-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
As a society we all pay the high price of smoking related illness. Isn't it time to accept responsibility and cover the costs of our actions?

As a society, isn't it about time we allow people to decide where their hard earned dollars go and for what they are used for rather than presuming to "save them from themselves" by stealing even more money from their paycheck both in income and sin taxes? The time has come for the world to accept their responsibility to butt the hell out of their neighbor's business and allow that neighbor to accept responsibility for their own actions, themself, rather than forcing some sort of ridiculous nanny state onto the nation.

For what it's worth, those of us with vices do cover the costs of our actions when we buy our addiction and ultimately pay whatever medical or health bills arise associated with them. Start legislating solely based on the personal consequences of another man's actions to themself and, I'd argue, we're just a short step away from legislating sex (transmits STDs and produces babies), sports (Oh God the injuries!), food consumption (drop the Twinkie, fatty! You're costing the insurance companies money....) etc.

(Now excuse me while I go enjoy my lunch of steak, bacon, heavily caffeinated iced tea, and a smoke followed by a chew... all items purchsed by me with my money and of no concern whatsoever to anyone other than myself.)

[edit on 19-4-2010 by burdman30ott6]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
There's a saying that goes something like "When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.". Obama is playing with the equivilent of a grenade that could blow up in his face this November. If the 2012 Presidential election was held right now Obama couldn't get elected dog catcher.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
reply to post by Plan2exist18

I posted here about a couple, and they were not alone, that were arrested and removed from a Bush rally for wearing anti-Bush T-shirts right after the Patriot Act was passed. They had those red circles with the slash across the word BUSH on their shirts. It was a big issue at the time and I saw it spotlighted on Rosie O'Donnell blog. Of course Rosie was up in arms and livid about it.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by rusethorcain]

The tea partys today have signs saying "Fight Tyranny, Enjoy Liberty". And it has been Proven that democrats have hired members (infiltrates) to go to the tea partys and make insinuations to Obama being a terrorist and not american to frame the gatherers, and tell the media who they are so they can show them. Dont believe everything you see on TV my friend, thats the real dictatorship

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
There's a saying that goes something like "When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.". Obama is playing with the equivilent of a grenade that could blow up in his face this November. If the 2012 Presidential election was held right now Obama couldn't get elected dog catcher.

I'm glad the election's not right now. I'm not for Obama and hate his policies, but I'm campaigning for him in the 2012 election.

I don't have a hatred of the American people since I'm about as American as one can get, but the majority of Americans need a lesson. The majority put the present administration in Wahington and now they must deal with it.

I want his policies to fail and ruin this nation just short of doing irreparable
damage just so that the Americans that voted him in can wake up.

I hate to think like this but it's what they call "tough love".

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Say what you want, but now the man is literally laughing at us and those that are opposed to what is currently taking place in D.C.

And to what do I think the purpose of this lightheartedness is? To invoke anger and a physical response. I truly believe that this administration's new tactic is to cause people to get so angry that they do something stupid...just so Obama can issue the next memo about domestic terrorism and add an actual face to it.

Obama wants a showdown and he wants to be victorious. It's very difficult to form an inner army of people willing to fight an enemy they can't identify. But put a face on it -- and they'll know exactly whom to go after.

This to me is merely solidifying the two sides of the fight. And I would wager this -- the first domestic terrorist they "catch" and brandish all over the country saying I told you so, won't be a Democrat. Rather, it will be a "right-winger" that happens to believe in God. Just watch.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
how fitting that a country founded on the backs of slaves would be shackled now by a black person! i don't have a problem with that, karma is karma, and america had it coming

seriously though, taxes are getting worse and worse for me, what about the rest of you? i'm sure anyone who actually didn't have taxes get worse on them simply got some type of freebee at another person's expense, that's what the obama plan revolves around it seems

[edit on 4/19/2010 by indigothefish]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
But he's right. They're protesting taxes while the majority of them have just gotten tax cuts. They're protesting the stimulus while most of the money went to give them those tax cuts. They're protesting the health care bill while most of them will see their health care costs drop. And meanwhile, another group is over in a DC National Park protesting tighter gun laws while carrying guns legally for the first time in National Parks.

He should be amused. I know it makes me laugh.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
But he's right. They're protesting taxes while the majority of them have just gotten tax cuts.

You do not know the demographics of the Tea Partiers. You will find they are not in the majority that received most of the tax cuts.

They're protesting the stimulus while most of the money went to give them those tax cuts.

First, read above. Next, did we really need to borrow money and pay interest on it to China in order to give some Americans a tax cut? Robbing Peter to pay Paul does not make you wealthy. It makes you heavily indebted to Peter and makes Paul wonder when you are going to take it back.

They're protesting the health care bill while most of them will see their health care costs drop.

Again, not true. Many of those protesters are complaining about:

-- the government spending too much
-- government growing too large

Both of which occurred when healthcare reform was passed.

Further, you have NO proof their premiums will decrease. Many of them have what is considered a "luxury" insurance plan under the reform definition of what one is.

And meanwhile, another group is over in a DC National Park protesting tighter gun laws while carrying guns legally for the first time in National Parks.

That, I didn't really get either.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
lpowell0627 is absolutely correct.

The health care bill hasnt even taken affect yet so how can you personally verify that health care costs have dropped.

I can prove that taxes were much worse for me this year, thats hard proof, wheres yours?

And Obama needs to focus more about keeping his own country, because once Israel and Hezbollah engage in combat, Obama will want support when he makes his decisions.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

(Now excuse me while I go enjoy my lunch of steak, bacon, heavily caffeinated iced tea, and a smoke followed by a chew... all items purchsed by me with my money and of no concern whatsoever to anyone other than myself.)

Which I totally agree you have every right to do like I have a right to smoke pot and marry my girlfriend in a gay wedding. Oops that's right I can't do these things. Now ain't that a beeach?

As I say you have every right to do all of the above and then some but studies show you are likely to leave your children early and without a breadwinner. The rest of us will have to pick up the slack offering them social programs to make up for your poor choices and untimely senseless death.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Obama makes light of them, but I laugh my butt off at them.

To think that people are actually protesting about taxes when they're as low as they are right now is hilarious. Some people just aren't home upstairs

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

1. Personally, I think you should have those rights... untaxed, to boot.

2. That is why responsible adults carry very nice insurance policies, of which I have more than 1. I do not carry them because my vices are likely to shorten my life, however. Few people die from the health conditions caused by those vices until later in life, when my children will be grown and supporting themselves. However, I am about as likely to be hit by a drunk driver, fall and bust my head open, or simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time as I am to cough up a lung and go out in a bloody cloud of glory... thus, insurance.
Ironically, many people who cannot afford insurance could very well manage such expenses if only they were not taxed to death.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Typical Alinsky tactic. All the sudden he thinks he John Stewart. Dont quit your day job Obama. I Think its safe to say we've found one thing he can do worse than balance a budget. Comedy...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
how fitting that a country founded on the backs of slaves would be shackled now by a black person! i don't have a problem with that, karma is karma, and america had it coming

seriously though, taxes are getting worse and worse for me, what about the rest of you? i'm sure anyone who actually didn't have taxes get worse on them simply got some type of freebee at another person's expense, that's what the obama plan revolves around it seems

[edit on 4/19/2010 by indigothefish]

actually everybody i know has had to pay less in 2009 taxes...so i have to disagree...but that is not what this is about...it is about bashing Obama for whatever...whether it is true or not.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
ah, i deleted this whole post

[edit on 4/20/2010 by indigothefish]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

actually everybody i know has had to pay less in 2009 taxes...so i have to disagree...but that is not what this is about...it is about bashing Obama for whatever...whether it is true or not.

Well you can chalk me into the column of people that DID pay more, so there goes your "fact".

And actually, that is what this is about. This thread is not about bashing Obama, and its not just for the hell of saying hes bad. People like you need to open your eyes and stop looking at this situation from a 2 Dimensional perspective of Republican vs Democrat.

I cant speak for others, but my main concern is the success and continuity of America, and if Mr. Obama does not want to ride the train that is headed in that direction, then he is an enemy. The tea party protesters are only going to build the more Obama ignores them, and once Middle Eastern conflict escolates he will need supporters and hes not going to get them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join