It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plugin-container.exe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Ok, so yesterday my Firefox updated to 3.6.4

Since then, I keep getting a process labeled "plugin-container.exe" opening up and eating up my memory usage. I keep cancelling it out, but it simply opens back up. Anyone have any idea what this is? I did a googel search, but there is no real info. on this.

I have gone in and deleted this from my hard drive, but fear that it may cause some sort of crash. Any advice? Anyone having the same problem?

:bnghd:

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
All I can say is that when I updated my firefox, none of my plugins went with the upgrade, so I went back to the previous version.

Have not had the problem you are having though. Maybe if you go to the homepage and revert back to the second last version, it will not be a problem. Seems as though the latest update wasn't good for not only me...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Sure enough, right after I posted this, my firefox browser locked up...and did so on several attempts to reopen it. So, I did what you suggested, although I couldn't read your response until now. Looks like I'm back in business. I may have to give Firefox up for something different if problems persist.

Any other browsers out there worth a flip?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Any other browsers out there worth a flip?

I really like Chrome no I've switched, I still keep Firefox on though.

so people say that Chrome is the best way for Google to 'spy' on everything you do on the internet..... Hmmmm that may be, I've not got enough information to make up my mind.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The only way you would get Plugin-containter.exe is if you installed the Beta version of Firefox. I updated to the beta version a few days ago and the plugin-container.exe was making it crash, it is still in beta after all, so I just uninstalled that version, and downloaded a new copy of the final version from the Firefox website.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I've had it for days.... Since FF update..

It's a container for flash I think..

When embedded YT vids it pops it's ugly head..

Maybe a work around to the ipad flash no likey

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
they're trying to improve firefox

What is plugin container

In Firefox 3.6.4 and above, some plugins are loaded separately from Firefox in plugin-container.exe, allowing the main Firefox process (firefox.exe) to stay open if a plugin crashes. For more information, see Plugin crash reports.

Firefox Crash Protection

Crash protection is the name of the Firefox capability based on Gecko's out of process plugins technology. It first shipped in Firefox 3.6.4 for Windows and Linux only, running Adobe Flash, Apple QuickTime and Microsoft Silverlight in a separate process called plugin-container.

edited to add that bit of recursiveness to the interwebs (see pic), i've been using 3.6.6 since it came out (auto-update) and i've had no problems at all whatsoever. try to check if there are a lot of extensions loaded on firefox, then disable and/or uninstall some of them. maybe that might do the trick, good luck.

[edit on 6.30.10 by toreishi]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Here is a fix as I just noticed this file today and fixed it with a quick google search.

* Open Firefox web browser.
* Type about:config in the address bar and press Enter key.
* A warning will appear. Ignore it and press the “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
* In the Filter field type dom.ipc. Six preferences will appear for the filter dom.ipc.
* Ignore first and last preferences (dom.ipc.plugins.enabled and dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs). Toggle (double-click) each of the four remaining preferences to change the value from “true” to “false“.
* That’s it. For help, take a look at the screenshot.

www.technogadge.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

If you're worried about Google, you could use the "Chromium" version of the browser. It's pretty much the same as Chrome, just the full source is available for inspection. I believe the official version of Chrome has some bits added in that the source is not available for, just like Firefox (which is partly why versions like Iceweasel where made).

Using the versions where full source is available means that people will have been able to look for any privacy invading aspects and disable them.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

yes i have same issue i think it started happening after i upgraded to the latest version of flash player 10.1

top topics

join